What do you wish you had known as a new player?

Things I wish I knew from the start:

By default the game doesn't like you and will do everything it can to piss you off. 1 skill point short, 1 resist point out, dropped perfect roll for you except it's got mana instead of life etc, etc...

The end game is shit and gated behind the worst RNG I've ever seen in a game. Its a long pointless grind that GGG like to screw around with every 3 months to make what currently works not work while moving the goal posts even further away from where they were previously.

If you think something will be fun to do the chances are it won't work how you think it will. You'll find a gem or a piece of gear. It will say something on it and make you think 'oh cool I can do blah blah with them' and then when you actually try it out you'll find there is some little hidden detail the game doesn't tell you in any clear way that makes it so it just doesn't work or works in a really shit way making it pointless to do. Assume everything you know is wrong and if you don't know something assume it won't work the way you think it should/might.

The game doesn't start till around level 60. Everything before it is more like a very misguided (but fun!) tutorial on the basics of how to play without actually teaching anything useful for the end game. It's mostly there to rope you in and think by level 80 you'll be an all powerful god (continuing the fun) when the reality is your godliness will peak around level 65 and then go downhill from there unless you get very lucky with drops.

If you start having fun at the start of the game and figure out a build that doesn't die and kills everything quickly don't assume this will continue into the end game. Unless you already have experience and have planned out your chars progression previously the chances are once you start getting into the late 70's progression will slow, everything will 1 shot you and your characters weakness's will suddenly start appearing.

All unique's are amazingly good until they drop for you. Once they do is when you know it's one of the many shit ones. Try to resist the temptation to keep them all. The only good reasons to keep the many, many shit unique's is for quicker gearing of your second char at early levels or for the 5 for 1 prophecy trade.

For a beginner pick either to go full life or full energy shield. Don't go half and half, you will die unless you know what you're doing.

There is no trading in the game. There are many, many people attempting to trade one thing for another but it's all complete bullshit. To buy something isn't too hard in terms of performing the act its self. The problem with buying something is that what you need you won't be able to afford come the end game.

Selling something is much harder to do unless you've gotten lucky and something really rare or good drops and is truly worth something. The best you can hope for these days is to buy many premium stash tabs and everything that drops for you that might have even a remote chance of being worth some currency you dump in them and then forget about them till hopefully someone messages you wanting to buy it.

Don't buy something you need the same day you need it. Trading things this way will usually end up costing you more than it otherwise might. If say you need a ring with res, life and chaos res on it and there is 5 available to buy now at high prices then wait, check every 2-3 hours to see if someone else has come online and is selling something cheaper. Patients can save you a lot of currency.

You die a lot because you have bad gear and you have bad gear because you die a lot.
That IIR is pretty shit in this game, unless you are a culler or want to do chaos recipes.

Mind you this was ages ago, I know that as we got more uniques, they lowered the rarity. but IIR in this game still seems pretty shit compared to d2.
Oblivious
"
ManySplinters wrote:

Also, a couple people mentioned that there's a difference between "more" and "increased" (and "less" and "decreased"). What's the difference?

One is additive and the other is multiplicative.

To get you started, read this.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stat

Then you can come back and ask specific questions. There are some smart people on these forums.
Honestly, I would not change a thing since
not knowing the game and playing it was the most fun I had.

I wish to get the same feeling of listening to that music in lioneyes watch when you first start the game.

Ignorance is bliss in this game

More you play, less it becomes interesting like with any other games

I thought my marauder doing heavy strike dealing couple hundred dps was beast back then

Now, I lose couple thousand dps just by switching one node in passive tree or swapping a jewel which is nice and all but nowhere near that excitement I had back when I first played.

Enjoy it while you can is what I would recommend

GG
The fire guy in Mines who blows up after he dies.
That pissed me off, only once mind you but still.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Ctrl click to auto put items into your inventory. I used to find the stack of mats and drag them over

Shift click for making items 20% quality, mass fuse etc
If 25 people message you for an item you just listed 5 seconds ago for 1c look up the actual price and relist it. Your new you won't know item's value's that doesn't mean you should get scammed.

It's kinda like back in the day with trading card games some people will tell someone what a card was worth others would just take it and not say anything.
Had our first group game tonight, all classes were represented but Duelist (and Scion). Got to the Ledge waypoint before breaking for the night and did all sidequests up to that point. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve for us, since our group normally plays MMOs. Our Ranger was so unused to the playstyle that she managed to die twice (but she'd be the first to admit she has a talent for making stupid mistakes, she's just grateful you can't fall through holes or over ledges!).

Biggest issue so far may be the lack of identify scrolls. We have enough for the rares we find, but often end up selling unIDed magic items. Some players pick up the odd white to sell, just for the scroll scraps, but it won't be long I think before we don't bother to pick up anything that's not rare, unique or currency. Again, we're used to MMOs, where you pick up pretty much everything in sight.

Busy week for all of us, so we prolly won't get a chance to play together again until next Monday. I'll hopefully get some time to play a solo alt before then, probably Witch or Ranger, a ranged build. Enjoying the game so far, though I have a feeling the group may not play beyond the end of normal difficulty. Which would be a shame, I'd enjoy the challenge of getting through the tougher levels (even if we're not exactly playing idealized builds).
I wish I knew how valuable mirrors were. Vendored one on the third week of playin ;-;
Deliver pain exquisite
Weapon upgrade recipes, that's about it. Wish I could go back to those fresh, undiscovered poe feels.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info