2.4 Phasing Arrow: TS Raider, Perma Phasing, High Speed, All Content, Beginner Friendly

The Phasing Arrow

Hello POE-Community,

i would like to share my Tornado Shot Raider with you.

FYI: English isnt my native Language. If there are Spelling-, Grammar- or other Mistakes, pls just ignore them :D

Lets talk about the Build:

Main Idea

The Core of this Build are 2 Uniques and the Raider Ascendency

Voidwalker

Drillneck

and theese Ascendancy Points:

Quartz Infusion
Rapid Assault
Way of the Poacher

This Combination rewards us with:

Phasing

You gain Phasing when:

+ at max Frenzys
+ while Onslaught (which you get by 20% chance per Kill and Flasks)
+ 20% chance on kill
+ if you have killed recently

which just means: you have Phasing

and while Phasing you have:

Benefits

+ Pierce (+ Drillneck = 100% increased Dmg)
+ Immune to Elemental Status Allignments
+ some additional Dodge Chance
+ and some additional Movement Speed

Pros

+ Very high Clear Speed
+ Very high Movement Speed
+ Very hard to be Hit (pretty Tanky)
+ Nice Damage Output
+ Can do nearly every Map Mod
+ Perma Phasing
+ 7 Frenzys
+ Freezes and Shatters a lot
+ nearly Perma Onslought
+ Scales extremely with player Skills (Positioning, Flasking, ...)

Cons

- Phys Reflect is a little annoying
- Has pretty Low Life - you need to be quick with your Life Flasks
- Requires a little bit of Skill (still very Beginners Friendly imo)

Now that you got the overall Idea, lets take a look at the Details:

We start at the Gear, because thats a very important Part of this Build

Gear

So weve got those 2 Required Uniques:

Drillneck and Voidwalker:

and we add a few more Uniques if we want to Dodge a lot and if we have a little Currency left:

This Setup + Ascandancy gives us the following Stats while we have Phasing:

60% Spell Dodge
68% Attack Dodge
20% Avoid Projectiles
30% Movement Speed

and we still have enought Rares to get those Resis Capped.

Too much Uniques? Yes totally right! Normally i try not to use more that 1-3 Uniques, but in this case Uniques are just superior to Rares. Thats simply because of our Defensive Mechanics which we will discuss in the next Section of this Guide.

Just for your Information and because some Guys wanted to see that, heres my current Gear:

Current

Defensive Mechanics

Defenses

Our Main Defense Layers are:

Evasion, Dodge and Avoidance

and our Secondary Defensive Layers are:

Arctic Armour, Freeze, Frost Wall, Distraction, Reg and Leech

Evasion

Medium to High Evasion from our Gear and a lot increased Evasion from the Skilltree makes us pretty hard to Hit.
We also utilize the Arrow Dancing Node (20%less Attack Evasion / 40% more Projectile Evasion) because of the ranged and kiting Playstyle.

Due to the Entropy System of Evasion (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Evasion) and the fact that we can not evade Spell Damage we definetly need another Defense Layer: Dodge

Dodge

Dodge is not Entropy based and is not affected by Accuracy (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dodge)
This makes it superior to Evasion and thats why we stack as much as we can :D

So if we have a high chance to Evade and a high chance to Dodge there wont be a lot of Hits coming through, but there are some exeptions:

Aoe Dmg, Secondary Dmgs (like Explosion Arrows Explosions), Dots, Desecrated Ground, etc.
To counter these Bastards too we stack some more Defenses :D

Avoidance

Our Voidwalkers give us 20% Chance to AVOID Projectiles.
As far as i could see Avoid is rolled seperately...(needs confirmation or correction pls)

Also we are immune to Status Alingments while Phasing, which means we avoid to be Ignited, Frozen, Chilled or Shocked. Thats a lot of Dmg which isnt our Problem anymore and we counter one of those nasty Dots. Furthermore we get some flexability when it comes to Flaskes, but lets talk about Flasks later.

To get even Tankier and to counter other Dmg Sources we are going to use some Secondary Layers of Defense.

Secondary Layers

Frost Wall:
Imo one of the Best CWDT Defenses ever for this and most other builds is FROST WALL
CWDT LVL1 linked to a LVL 10 Frost Wall will trigger very often.
Our Shots pierce through our Frost Walls, so we can kill Mobs while they are unable to harm us :D Oh and we can pass through our own Walls, because we are phasing all the time!
I even linked 2 Frost Walls to my CWDT because they wont trigger simultaneously and so will spawn all around you!

Freeze:
We are going to run Hatred and Herald of Ice to add a bunch of Cold Dmg.
Our Shots now Chill and Freeze Enemys which gives us more time to active evade and eat less Damage. We also get the ability to Shatter enemys. Thats especially handy for Monsters which have 2 Phases (like Shield Crabs).

Arctic Armour:
Very very few Dmg comes trough, but when it hits, it hits hard!
Thats why we go for ARCTIC ARMOUR
With Arctic Armour we take 13% less phys Dmg and 12% less Fire Dmg :D
Thats awesome! and we lay down Chilled Ground which slowes our enemies further, makeing them hit less often.

Distraction:
We use our Mobility Skill (Blink Arrow) to spawn a Colne, our CWDT spawns an Ice Golem and our Siege Ballista which is used to maximise Damage against Single Targets are all Distracting our Enemys. Combined with our high Movement Speed we can easely avoid Dmg and let it instead be eaten by our Minions.

Life Regeneration and Leech:
Last but not least: our Life Pool.
With around 146% increased Life from the Tree we are going to have around 3500 - 4500 Life (basend on our Equipment)
Thats little, but its enought.
We also have 3,6% Life Regeneration (thats around 120-160 Life regenerated per secound) because we do NOT use Vaal Pact (Why? See the discussion Tab)
The Life Reg isnt just to replenish Life while not in Combat and to counter low Dots (like Desecrated Ground Map Mods) it also adds a lot of enjoiment to the Game (because it annoys me to drink Flasks after Battle or die in Ground Effect while afk.
Oh and a bit of Life Leech:
In combination with Life Reg we replenish enough Life to withstand most Dots and Duration Damage in combat.
Both, Reg and Leech, are just additional Defensive Layers and not the Main Source of survival.

All together you get a fairly tanky Build. Ive done Atziri by Character Lvl 72 with average Gear. At the Moment (LVL 74) im running rare Tier 10-12 (Monster LVL 77-79) Maps without any trouble.

Lets talk a bit about our Gems.

Gem

Weapon

Our Main Skill is Tornado Shot and we are going to link it as followed:

TS - GMP - FA - SP - PPAD - ICD

Long

Tornado Shot - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Faster Attacks - Slower Projectiles - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Increased Critical Damage

If we use an Elemetal Bow we will switch PPAD for WED (Weapon Elemental Damage)

Chest

For the Chest we are going to use a 5l Siege Ballista or if you have the currency a 6l (you will have to use an unset ring for Hatred then)

We use Siege Ballista to raise our Dmg against Tanky Single Targets and Bosses.

SB - FA - SP - PPAD - ACD x-x Hatred

Long

Siege Ballista - Faster Attacks - Slower projectiles - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Added Cold Damage

We also place Hatred into our Chest. Unlinked.
For Details see Aura Section

Gloves, Boots, Helm

Here we place our CWDT:

CWDT - FW - FW - SIG

Long

Cast When Damage Taken - Frost Wall - Frost Wall - Summon Ice Golem

you can replace one Frost Wall with Summon Zombie / Summon Skeleton which gives you additional Distractors.

Movement Skill:

BA - FA - FP x-x AA

Long

Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks - Faster projectile

and unlinked: Arctic Armour

Curse:

AM - ID - IAOE x-x HoI

Long

Assasins Mark - Increased Duration - Increased Area of Effect

and Unlinked: Herald of Ice

Assasins Mark seem to be superior to all other Curses. It keeps us criting, generates power charges and our crits hit harder.

ID and IAOE are just because im a very lazy guy and i dont like to use more than 1 or 2 buttons once in a while XD

switch all theese for whatever you like. Some people prefer a more active playstyle so you could add a max level Golem instead of the CWDT one. you can go Imortal Call, Molten Shell, or something else. just do what fits your personal playstyle best.

Now lets talk about the Skilltree:

Now lets come to the Aura Section:

Aura

we have got some nice options here:

Hatred, Herald of Ice, Arctic Armour is our Main Setup

If it Comes to heavy Bosses or Freeze Immune Bosses, we can switch Hatred for Grace or Haste

If you are wondering how we are running those and still have enough Mana, here the answer:

We take 12% reduced Mana reserved from the Tree and a little Mana Reg and Mana Leech to replenish the pool.
It realy sounds very few reg, but it works perfectly well. BTW this is a praxis crafted Build, no theory crafting here :D

Now we talk a bout a very important Part

Flasks

You definitly want to run some Instant Life Flasks!

And Onslaught Flasks as Well

As An Example, im using theese:

Spoiler

1 Onslaught Flask as a Fight Starter
1 Onslaught Flask a s a Movement Flask (remeber: Onslaught gives Phasing which gives a ton of Movement Speed)

You want to Level this Build?
Heres a Guide

Leveling

Start leveling with Split Arrow until you reach LVL 28.
Then switch to Tornado Shot and LMP (Lesser Multiple Projectiles).
Switch LMP for GMP (Greater Multiple Projectiles) by LVL 38 and use Drillneck
by now. Also use a pierce Gem now.
If you got the Currency you can also wear Hinekora's

as you see in the LVL 38 Tree we grab Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics, Life and Mana Nodes first.
Grab the Pierce Nodes last, because they are not very efficent before Drillneck and LVL 38.
You should level pretty smooth and without Mana Problems. If you are using a Bow with a lot of Attacks per Secound, you may need to use Atziris Foible or some other Mana Reg Items.

Ascend your first time around now and grab yourself the Way of the Poacher Node.

Now your Dmg is high enought to kill everything for the next Levels so we are going to focus on Life Nodes again.

Use Hatred and Herald of Ice.

For your second Ascendancy take the Quartz Infusion Node and start wearing Ascend from Flesh
if you have planned to do that.

Proceed Leveling till LVL 65 and start using
Hyrris

By LVL 69 you finally can wear
Voidwalker

which means we have no more need for the Pierce Gem and the Pierce Nodes.

Respec those Pierc Nodes for Charisma, which allows us to run Hatred, Herald of Ice and now Arctic Armour.

Ascend your third time and take Avatar of the Veil.

Now we have got all the required Stuff and have taken all the Life Nodes.
Also Knockback on Crit from King of the Hill gives us a little more Surviveability.

From now on take Dmg Nodes. Starting down right with Lethality. Also grab some Jewel Nodes, Frenzy Charges and Crit Multis.

For Uber Ascension obviously take Rapid Assault.

and after that take the rest :D Heavy Draw and Deadly Draw are Last.

And at Last let me answer some Questions here:

Discussion

+ Why not Vaal Pact?
Thats because i dont want to loose the Life Reg.
I mostly played regbased Chars and i really dont like static life pools.
You may want to use Vall Pact for yourself. If you do, you should respec Master of the Arena.

Have Fun and may the RNG-God be with you :D

Last edited by Zeviroth on Nov 5, 2016, 6:07:45 AM
Last bumped on Nov 29, 2016, 1:51:49 AM
You kill the shaper with it?
Why no kintsugi? U stated in minuses your build lacks life and kintsugi gives you hp, and damage reduction which boosts your ehp.
And that flask setup, 3 life 2 silver?? Its really not late game viable where leech is your heal. You could use some basalt which counters evas biggest weakness which are phys dmg burst, and jade would help too especially with 60% eva boost from raider+various more from regular tree, those 2 flask would boost your defences much more than life flasks
Last edited by soilwork3r on Oct 29, 2016, 8:25:51 PM
Thanks for your replies! I really appriciate them.

to Sephira6:

i havent got that far on the atlas yet, but its my next objective with this char.
as soon as i got him down, ill post it in the build guide.

to soilwork3r:

thank you very much!
i havent considered kintsugi yet...
im going to buy one and im going to run a deep field test! theoretically it seems to be better than hyrries! im really excited about testing it, thanks :D

going to update the build as soon as the results are clear.

about the flasks:

yes, you are right! basalt is definitly the better choice for Boss fights and T14+ Maps!
the 3 life 2 silver is my speed map clearing setup (because im very used to it)

im going to update the flask section on weekend for more detailed explanations and valuable flask choices.

Thank you and if you have some more ideas, pls let me know :D

Have a nice play and may the RNGs be with you!
This seems interesting, I barely play ranger but never got stuck with, always wanted to play one, I might try this out if I see more updates like shaper ging down and the kintsugi armour being tested. I may think about playing this.
Nice build so far!
Lets hope you can take it further!
Thanks for considering :D
its really a very fun way to play the ranger!

im testing kintsugi at the moment. on the first look, it seems that both armours are viable.
When the damage comes in kintsugi seems to give us a little more time to react (because of its life and the less dmg mod) but we get hit a few more times (less eva / dodge).
hyrris reduces the hits recieved but the damage hits harder.
at the moment the only thing i can say is that it looks like both are end game viable. the only change your playstyle a bit.

thats just a first impression though, so we will see the full results after this weekend.
Last edited by Zeviroth on Nov 5, 2016, 6:18:00 AM
can you add a video of a higher map clear?
Hey Guys! sry for my late reaction...real life needed my full attention.
Im moving out of my old flat and have a lot of work atm. Sadly that means that i cant play poe atm...
maybe im going to do this build in breach again, but for the moment its going to be quite.

Have a nice play and hope to see you soon again :D
Hey , just wanted to ask you something. How do you sustain phasing during a boss fight such as darresso. I get that you can use silver flasks to gain phasing but what if you ran out of flask charges?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info