[2.4] "Burning Fervor" Self Ignite Berserker Build 80-100k DPS up to 13 APS!

INTRODUCTION

"Burning fervor and fearsome skill create a beauty that is terrible to behold."

So, this is a build I made back in Perandus league for fun, Perandus was my first league. When I found the unique Mokou's ring I was immediately inspired to make this build. Basically, he abuses giving the enemies ignite chance to increase his attacks per second. It's fun as hell, and it actually works. This build abuses Varunasta's unique modifier to gain a decent amount of DPS and a ridiculous amount of attack speed as well as the wonderful combination of Mokou's Embrace and Cloak of Flame. Mix it all together and you've got yourself an effective berserker that's most efficient while taking damage to trash mobs with insane attack speed.

Although this build is well rounded it does suffer from some downfalls. This build is leech dependent, so when you get stunned, or slowed blow 5 attacks per second you can easily end up being put down. It has a slower clear time than most builds, but can easily be worked around and given the nature of the build requiring you to take damage for optimal dps, you have to be very aware of what you're charging in to, as well as manage your flasks very well.

Over all this is an enjoyable and exciting build that when played with awareness makes you feel like a berserker in the truest sense of the word.

Playing in parties online I've received a lot of requests to make a guide for this build, so here's my first ever build guide!

Definitely going to be editing this as I go along, this is my first guide so any criticism is appreciated!

VIDEO

Face Tanking Merc Malachai

Here's a video of the build in action, my pc is pretty poo (if you watch the video from beginning to end you'll get to see how blatantly horrible my pc is!) , but you can see what he does to Malachai on Merciless.

[playstv id="57fd5cb30441200612?"][/playstv]

Spoiler
First Izaro Fight Fonts at 4:29

Second Izaro Fight Idols at 11:54

Third Izaro Fight at 16:02

Argus at 10:24

Here's a video of a casual Uber Lab run, the whole thing is pretty trivial as long as you're careful around traps (which I'm not) I'm pretty bad at this game, so sometimes the game looks like it's being played by a blind person!

OVERVIEW

Pros:

+ Ridiculous APS, and competent DPS
+ Capable of running T15-16 maps and bosses
+ No Mana issues whatsoever
+ Can run almost all map mods including blood magic, and reflect
+ Can tank monsters under absolutely insane conditions
+ Practically immune to DoT while leeching, just don't stop leeching
+ Thrilling to play

Cons:

- Leech dependent, If you stop leeching you die
- Suffers heavily from stuns and slows from cold damage, temporal chains etc

SKILL TREE

Marauder

Passives

Ascendancy Points: Pain Reaver, Cloaked in Savagery, Crave the Slaughter and Rite of Ruin

Bandits: Oak, Passive, Oak

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

Essentials:

+ Resolute Technique
+ By the Blade
+ Deadly Dilettante
+ Vaal Pact

So this build actually offers a fair amount of freedom in terms of how you build, the essential things to grab are endurance charges, as many jewel sockets as you can, and Resolute Technique. Since this build doesn't use an armoured chest piece the endurance charges come in very handy for survival and the jewels really help with extra damage and attack speed.

This build works amazingly well using the Berserker's amount of leech combined with Vaal Pact, it makes you tanky beyond belief and it's thrilling to charge into battle, but it isn't exactly necessary to the build, I've done it more than once using blood magic, and tonnes of life regen, and it still worked just fine no troubles.

This version I've opted for Vaal Pact. I've also sacrificed some life passives for damage nodes, as long as you make it to about 4.7K life, you should be okay.

If you're planning on using something like molten strike or Infernal Blow, you could grab Avatar of Fire, I've not personally tried it, but it definitely has potential.

Passives By the end of Normal

At about level fourty you should have gotten the life wheel by Scion and Resolute Technique as well as made some progress towards Vaal Pact. Wait to equip the bulk of your uniques until you can equip Varunastra. Resolute Technique is a big priority since it greatly aids survival early on.

Passives by the end of Cruel

By about level sixty you should have collected most of the rest of your life and most of your endurance charges. And the next four levels go towards getting Deadly Dilettante. When you hit level 64 I suggest putting on all of the uniques you can.

Build more or less complete

This build should be done at around level 84, after this you can collect jewel sockets, more life, attack speed etc. Do what feels right to you.

JEWELS

My Jewels leave a lot of be desired, but I've got a mix of attack speed and damage. Both are important, but as far as Jewels go, just do what feels right, if you want more APS, go that route, if you need more dps, go that route.

SCREENSHOTS

SKILL DPS

Reave dps with *almost* full buffs about 80K or so

Reave dps in Hide Out about 50k

Dual Strike dps in Hide Out about 78k

Dual Strike dps with full buffs about 127k

GEAR

UPDATE: Since I'm not actively changing this guide and one guy said he was going to push it, I'll add in a recent change from Breach. The new Xoph Helmet can easily replace Cloak of Flame here, which gives you a big boost to armour and the ability to actually have a decent chest piece.

For rare gear, since I'm using a lot of uniques I tend to prioritize mods like this:

Life -> Resistances -> Generic Defense -> Extra Damage.

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Weapon

Varunastra is pretty key to the build, I'm not sure how well it would work without it, it offers great dps and it's easy to get the aps you need with it. Alternatively it has been suggested to use Razor of the Seventh Sun, I can see it's potential, but you would lose a lot of dps.

Helm

This build needs int, so you need it on your hat, the rest is standard stuff.

Chest

Cloak of Flame is 100% mandatory if you're going to self ignite, it forces everything to deal fire damage to you. Since Mokou's Embrace gives that fire damage ignite chance, it's pretty consistent. It also offers more defense than you'd think, it mitigates damage by converting it to fire, and it makes getting fire res that much easier. You'll need at least two red and green sockets, and in my opinion ideally 3 red and one green socket. So be prepared to spend money on chromes.

Gloves

Ideally you want gloves with as much attack speed as you can get, if you can get leech, that'd be good too.

Boots

Standard stuff here. Optimally movespeed is great if you can get it.

Amulet

Now, this was the reason I remade this build (that and perandus was on the map device so Varunastra was available again) With Mokou's it offers and even greater chance to get ignited, and it gives you free damage and leech, what's not to love? It functions as a poor man's Voll's.

Honestly though, it's optional, if you're hurting for life, get a rare amulet, no one will think less of you.

Rings

Mokou's Embrace is 100% mandatory if you're planning on being ignited, it gives your enemies ignite chance, it boosts your damage, gives decent resistances and it gives you an onslaught buff for being burned. I really love this ring for it's flavor and it inspired this whole build.

Essence Worm I use to grant myself haste, arguably you could replace it, but I think it's a core unique to the build, you can use it for whatever 50% aura you want, and you can still run Herald of Ash and a curse, it's really handy.

Belt

The belt ends up being my biggest increase in life. If you can get a belt with increased elemental damage and strength also that would boost your damage and your life.

Flasks

You want at least one catalysed flask to mash when you're in melee to suppliment your leech, it really helps, it's also worth noting that you'll want to keep more than one flask to fix being frozen. After that you'll want an instant heal flask, this helps with bleeding and the aftermath of gross Damage over Time, and also I'd recommend this be your anti-bleed/poison flask as well. You may also want a flask to cure ignite, in case the ignite gets too intense.

Kiara's is a really handy utility flask, I'd fully recommend it.

I keep one of every elemental flask just in case, sometimes the elemental damage gets out of hand and can nuke you before you realize what's going on, so they can help. And for bosses that deal a lot of physical damage I always keep a granite flask handy.

Preferably I'd like a Taste of Hate, it's excellent mitigation and some crazy dps.

LINKS AND GEMS

I carry a lot of extra gems.

Main DPS Setup

5-6L

So, for trash mobs I tend to use Reave, it gets good coverage and it deals a lot of damage, plus the more enemies I hit the more I can leech from. Everything else is sort of dps related, faster attacks is handy. You could replace Added fire damage with Multistrike on the Reave setup for slightly more dps and a whole lot more aps. You could also replace Phys to Light with Inc AoE and have a decent enough dps plus faster clear times.

For single target I replace Reave with Dual Strike, and added fire damage with Multistrike, with the massive amount of aps you get, it makes you hard to kill because you're leeching so much, it also makes you pretty much immune to most Damage over Time.

CWDT Setup

3-4L
3-4L

I used two CWDT setups, the first is pretty standard with immortal call. The second casts buffs for me, like Blood Rage and Molten SHell, blood rage is handy because of leech, and a significant boost to my dps/aps and molten shell is just some extra damage, Iron will I just slapped on the four link because I couldn't think of anything else.

Mobility Setup

Pretty standard, fortify is handy, leaping is thoughtless, Blood Magic sort of makes mana a non-issue.

Aura Setup

Herald of Ash is free dps, and it fits with the fire theme. Warlord's provides extra leech and free endurance charges, I often replace it with Punishment for boss fights for fun, or when I'm bored.

Golem

Lightning Golem helps with the aps, not much needs to be said about that, you could replace it with a Fire Golem if you wanted, I don't see the issue with that. Alternatively if you're using Life Regen and not Vaal Pact, you can replace it with a Stone Golem.

I link my golem in with my mobility setup so I can use it with blood magic. Saves me some effort with mana.

Everything Else

Okay so, I link Vaal Molten Shell to Life Leech, and I use it as a counter stun measure mostly. If I get stunned and would be hit and killed it leeches enough life to save my ass, so it's pretty handy.

Most of the other gems are spares, for instance, I use abyssal cry for trash mobs, and rallying cry or enduring cry for bosses (depends on the boss) and Inc AoE I use for clearing purposes on maps that I know I can run safely.

End Game

This build can run most maps with most mods, things to consider avoiding are temporal chains and any crit mods due to not wanting to be one shot killed, not having leech isn't really compatible with this build either.

Reflect is not an issue, neither is desecrated ground, and no regen is no problem.

Things that provide difficulty are additional cold damage on maps, that can ruin your day, chilled ground can be hard to work around, and blood magic requires you to drop Herald of Ash and the curse aura, which drops your dps considerably but it can be done. Vulnerability can cause problems if you're not careful, and negative max res is always a pain.

THE END AND THANKS FOR READING!

Last edited by StafosKnight on Dec 10, 2016, 5:05:33 PM
Last bumped on Dec 8, 2016, 9:24:44 PM
YOU MADE THE GUIDE! Love it. I think i'll do this for my next build
Happy to see you remember me!
Last edited by StafosKnight on Oct 8, 2016, 11:57:19 PM
Would the general idea of this build be transferable to other classes or would too much be lost without berserker?
I've contemplated doing it with a Raider, it would work almost as well, but you would need a lot of leech from gear and on Jewels, the Berserker works well because of Cloaked in Savagery which makes it so that unless he gets one shot ko'd he can't really die. If you wanted to run with lots of life Regen the raider would work well but you would need to play a little bit more carefully. I haven't contemplated too many other classes to be honest, it requires a lot of aps to leech fast enough to make the general low life not matter as much with vaal pact. If I were to run it as a raider, I would run with Multistrike on both the Reave and Dual Strike set ups.
Last edited by StafosKnight on Oct 9, 2016, 3:10:49 AM
Update! Uber Lab video, more videos to come! Will make them when I can, hopefully soon!
book- and earmarked for further reading. what a fantastically edited post. given that the build seems to be endgame viable i don't understand the lack of love. going in-depth within the next few days, nd looking forward to it.
Feel free to critique away, I didn't get enough of a response to keep making the videos, but if you like it then I'm happy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info