[2.4] Sire of Shards - Ball Lightning Trapper

This build uses traps and ball lightning.
If you need a video for the gameplay, Hegemony did one over a year ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAm1HcxMCVM

The damage and clearspeed are obviously better nowadays.
I do not recommend this build for Hardcore, as i do not play Hardcore and haven't tested it! However, feel free to change the build to make it viable (if you think it isn't) and give it a try.

Skilltree:
We are going CI with this build, so we need to respec ~10 points around lvl 70.
The Ascendancy class is Saboteur

Get "Chain Reaction" in the cruel Lab, "Blinding Assault" in the merc Lab and finally "Explosive Expert" in the Uber Lab. You could also choose "Born in the Shadows" instead.

Skills:

Ball Lightning - Trap - Cluster Trap - Slower Projectiles - Lightning Penetration ( - Increased AoE)

Blasphemy - Conductivity - Arctic Armor

Vaal Discipline - increased Duration - Faster Casting - Flame Dash

cwdt(1) - Immortal Call(1) - either: Increased Duration (4) or: Arctic Breath (4) - GMP (1)

Decoy Totem - Chaos Golem - Minion Elemental Res

Fill up the rest of the slots with Ball Lightning, you might get lucky with a Vaal Orb later...or use anything else you feel you need.
You can also use Arc or Storm Call for some variety, though the staff is not optimal in this case.

Gear

Required Gear:
The Sire of Shards staff is required for this build:

It's cheap as f*ck, so get one with the highest projectile damage.
+All Attributes is important as well.

You also need an eye of chayula for CI:

Try to get one with decent +Attributes.

Lastly, you need:

Put it in the slot near "Melding". If you can't afford one, simply skill the Foresight ES nodes above the Scion spawn instead.

Other gear:

Try to get a helmet with "Slower Ball Lightning Projectile Speed" enchantment from the Uber-Lab.

Slower Ball Lightning means that the projectiles stay longer at one position dealing more damage against one enemy. Especially helpful against bosses.

All the other parts are pretty straight forward.
Get ES, Ele-resistance, Mana, Dex/Str, Int.
We need at least 85 Str and 111 Dex.
If you are unable to get this via your Equipment, you can pick the two +30 Nodes in the witch area.
Diamond-Rings are nice for the crit chance:

Flasks

You need at least the following affixes on your flasks:
- bleed removal
- freeze removal

I recommend the following flasktypes:
- Mana Flask (req.)
- Diamond Flask
- Quicksilver Flask
- Basalt Flask
- Stibnite Flask / Rumis

FAQ:

How do I level?

I leveled with Storm Cloud until i could use the Sire of Shards staff. I also used Deerstalker boots with Firestorm - conc Effect - multi Traps - T&M Damage.

Is this endgame viable?

I did some t6/7 maps with lvl 70 and without any ascendancy points and the damage was good. However, in a moment of stupidity I deleted my character...so i never had the chance to try engame maps.

Help! I am struggeling!

If this build sucks in endgame and you can't fix it, for whatever reason, there is a solution for that. One of the most popular PoE-streamers, Mathil, is currently playing a similar build. It's a CI-Pyre-Vortex-Trapper, so you just need to respec the Lightning-Nodes. Aside from that the tree is practically identical. This will get you at least to the guardians, maybe even Shaper. (Charactername: HoleTosser)

Last edited by jomtoy on Oct 2, 2016, 8:44:44 AM
Last bumped on Oct 2, 2016, 8:43:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info