Vaal Grace or Vaal Discipline?

I'm in the process of leveling/planning a new spellcaster, a life-based ED Scion to be more precise, and am somewhat undecided on what to fill future remaining sockets with. I believe I can spare 2 sockets for Vaal skill utility.

Now I am torn between two potential choices:
A) Vaal Grace - Increased Duration
This would grant me 34% dodge and 34% spell dodge with a level 20 gem for almost 12 seconds. Pretty good stuff. Dexterity requirement is not an issue. However, since I would have moderate block to begin with, I'm not sure if adding another avoidance layer is necessarily the best choice here.

B) Vaal Discipline - Increased Duration
My planned tree features 25% increased Energy Shield, and I'd get another 31% bonus at 155 intelligence. This would grant me a 908*(1+0.25+0.31) = 1416 ES buffer with a level 20 gem for up to 6 seconds. I never really used Vaal Discipline before, so I'm not sure it's worth the sockets on a character with only incidental ES scaling.

What do you reckon would be better for my character? Maybe there's a better use of those 2 remaining sockets I haven't thought of. I'm open to advice and suggestions.
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2016, 6:35:41 PM
Vaal Discipline makes an ES character all but literally immortal for its duration.
However, you're looking at only 1400 ES, and I'm guessing that is with 0% Increased ES Recharge Rate? VDisc would grant 466 ES "Regen" for a couple seconds. That's pretty nice, but not as likely to save your ass as entirely negating 1/3rd of all Hits, for twice as long.

e; I did forget to factor in the extra EHP as a factor - good call.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 27, 2016, 7:20:31 PM
Vaal Discipline would help with one-shots, since it gives straight up hit points.

But, as Vipermagi pointed out, Vaal Grace is vastly superior if you aren't getting one-shot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info