Why some areas doesn't contain certain types of monsters?

Ok, so, I get this bleep prophecy to kill a Rare Vaal Fallen. Easy enough - go to Vaal Ruins, get free fragment.

Except for some [triggered someone] reason, beyond any comprehension, sometimes areas doesn't contain some types of monsters. Not only I get to experience the joys of recreating new instances when logging back on my Specter Summoner, but also get to run cluelessly for 20 minutes, recreating new areas over and over again, only to get that dumb, bleep, prophecy done.

So, why are the reasons behind this? Is this what FUN is? Because bleep, bleep like these makes me wanna quit this game, and never come back.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Sep 27, 2016, 4:38:12 AM
Last bumped on Sep 27, 2016, 9:29:56 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Perq wrote:
Ok, so, I get this bleep prophecy to kill a Rare Vaal Fallen. Easy enough - go to Vaal Ruins, get free fragment.

Except for some idiotic reason, beyond any comprehension, sometimes areas doesn't contain some types of monsters. Not only I get to experience the joys of recreating new instances when logging back on my Specter Summoner, but also get to run cluelessly for 20 minutes, recreating new areas over and over again, only to get that dumb, bleep, prophecy done.

So, why are the reasons behind this? Is this what FUN is? Because bleep, bleep like these makes me wanna quit this game, and never come back.

Randomizing monster types in areas IS an intentional, working thing, just like GGG wanted it.

In no way does GGG want players predicting every outcome or what monster types are going to be in any area to the point of complete certainty because the game would be less fun and even more repetitive without the elements of randomization and chance.

If you are expecting PoE to be a game with predictable outcomes, then PoE is not the game for you. PoE = randomness, chance and surprise as a result of those first two things.

What seems to be the problem here?
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Sep 26, 2016, 12:20:32 PM
"

Problem is that I have only noticed that once I started doing kill specific rare monster prophecies (and trying to get Incinerators for my Specter build). It had no impact on my randomness fun you're mentioning.

Also, quite sure randomness have a little different goal than being fun (while it can be fun, in some cases). Levels being generated makes rerolling less tedious - you always have to pay attention where you are going, since levels are always new (to a degree). You're always going to find different items. Cool. But types of monsters being in the area isn't the same thing.
I have nothing against monsters being placed randomly on a map, but imagine that one of act maps is now gone... because rng. And in order to be able to play it, you have to recreate the previous area 10 times. lol.
Why don't we also randomize the order in which you do quests? Or skill tree?
Because RNG isn't always the right answer to all questions.
It is annoying that you have to recreate an area if it doesn't have the monster type in general.

However, I think you will be hunting for a while for the Vaal Fallen prophecy, since Vaal Fallen don't spawn in Vaal ruins, do they? I thought they only spawned in Vaal side areas.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Problem i finde with this tupe of prophecy is that i need to open wiki just to know what monster it is and what reward im gona get.
But as you say alredy it can be anoying even when you know all the facts.
"

"
Perq wrote:
Problem is that I have only noticed that once I started doing kill specific rare monster prophecies (and trying to get Incinerators for my Specter build). It had no impact on my randomness fun you're mentioning.

Pardon my late reply.

You are missing the entire point... For one, resetting areas IS a thing in PoE regardless whether or not you are trying to complete 'kill specific rare monster' Prophecies. Not only that, 'kill specific rare monster' Prophecies are one of the few that are not 'immediately' guaranteed upon entering the very first instance in a particular area where certain rare monsters spawn.

"
Perq wrote:
Also, quite sure randomness have a little different goal than being fun (while it can be fun, in some cases). Levels being generated makes rerolling less tedious - you always have to pay attention where you are going, since levels are always new (to a degree). You're always going to find different items. Cool. But types of monsters being in the area isn't the same thing.

Do not mistake monsters being in an area for when Navali clearly says, "The next rare Vaal Fallen slain will drop Sacrifice at Dawn." regarding the Day of Sacrifice I Prophecy (the very Prophecy your OP talks about).

Nothing in the above quoted from Navali actually says you will encounter a Vaal Fallen; it says the next Vaal Fallen slain will drop Sacrifice at Dawn (big difference).

Now, if Navali said, "You will encounter a Vaal Fallen that will drop a Sacfrifice at Dawn." that would be different, but that is not the case here.

Remember, PoE is a game of 'words' (especially when it comes to equipment mods), and if you do not understand the wording in the game, you are generally not going to succeed well in the game.

"
Perq wrote:
I have nothing against monsters being placed randomly on a map, but imagine that one of act maps is now gone... because rng. And in order to be able to play it, you have to recreate the previous area 10 times. lol.

"
Perq wrote:
Why don't we also randomize the order in which you do quests?

Because the Engine PoE is built on does not support such advanced mechanics for an open-world full of 'dynamic' events/quests like in MMORPGs.

"
Perq wrote:
Or skill tree? Because RNG isn't always the right answer to all questions.

Because a Skill Tree in PoE designed in such way where allocating the next node on the Skill Tree rolls a random mod/number like a rolled dice will not only tick players off if/when they do not roll the Skill Tree or Keystones nodes they want, but that kind of system does not make sense for PoE, anyway, neither would it be very fun for a great majority of players.

Furthermore, neither of the above sarcastic questions quoted from you make your end of the discussion more credible against what I have already clarified for you regarding exactly how 'kill specific rare monster' Prophecies work.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Sep 27, 2016, 2:43:32 AM

I would not use the term "idiotic" so freely with that grammar of yours bro.

Could really backfire.

or should i say could really backfires?
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
It is annoying that you have to recreate an area if it doesn't have the monster type in general.

However, I think you will be hunting for a while for the Vaal Fallen prophecy, since Vaal Fallen don't spawn in Vaal ruins, do they? I thought they only spawned in Vaal side areas.

They do - I found one eventually.

"
Do not mistake monsters being in an area for when Navali clearly says, "The next rare Vaal Fallen slain will drop Sacrifice at Dawn." regarding the Day of Sacrifice I Prophecy (the very Prophecy your OP talks about).

Nothing in the above quoted from Navali actually says you will encounter a Vaal Fallen; it says the next Vaal Fallen slain will drop Sacrifice at Dawn (big difference).

Now, if Navali said, "You will encounter a Vaal Fallen that will drop a Sacfrifice at Dawn." that would be different, but that is not the case here.

Remember, PoE is a game of 'words' (especially when it comes to equipment mods), and if you do not understand the wording in the game, you are generally not going to succeed well in the game.

Not sure why are you trying to explain the wording to me. I understand wording. I simply disagree to how monster spawning works, including outside of prophecy (specter summoning). As a side note, it is funny that you are trying to explain wording to me, and meanwhile I was making wording guide like 2 days ago (you won't find it, it isn't in English). The ways of mystic ether, kek. :D

And, no, PoE's engine not supporting random quests and not being open world aren't the reasons. You mistake the outcome with the reason. Looking at open world RPGs with random quests should give you enough reasons to never make such system into aRPG. And because you have those reasons, you never decide to build that system into your game. Effect is not reason. Reason is reason.

"
Because a Skill Tree in PoE designed in such way where allocating the next node on the Skill Tree rolls a random mod/number like a rolled dice will not only tick players off if/when they do not roll the Skill Tree or Keystones nodes they want, but that kind of system does not make sense for PoE, anyway, neither would it be very fun for a great majority of players.

Somehow that is a reason for skill tree, but not for monsters. It doesn't tick when I have to recreate the same area over and over, with 0 challenge, only wasting time. It isn't fun. Give me a reason that applies to monster randomization only. A good one, that is. Reason that really improves the gameplay.

"
Furthermore, neither of the above sarcastic questions quoted from you make your end of the discussion more credible against what I have already clarified for you regarding exactly how 'kill specific rare monster' Prophecies work.

Of course they do. Because you cannot give me a good answer for those questions, without giving out the very same reason for which monster randomization is areas makes no sense.

Not important bit about not important individual

"
[...] with that grammar of yours [...]

"
Or should I say could really backfires?

ftfy
Grammar, you say? If you don't want to discuss what I said, get out of here, and stop being annoying. Thanks, bye, and don't come back.
Last edited by Perq on Sep 27, 2016, 4:37:30 AM
Randomization of monsters takes away all uniqueness and immersion from a zone. It is, imo, by far the worst mechanic in PoE. Why? When everything is random and unique, they are all the same. Background story? Who cares! Believing each and every area is out to kill you, yet humans, spiders, skeletons and bears all live together peacefully? Riiiiight...

Look at maps. Each and every map feels exactly the same, except for a different background skin. Who cares?

As soon as they started using randomized monsters in higher difficulty (and not only in maps), this game went down hill faster then a drunk fat teenager toppling over.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info