Uber Lab - Visibility Problems (YALT)

Yes, it's Yet Another Lab Thread.

Now, I'm generally fine with most things about the Labyrinth. I had no problems with it on Normal and Cruel, and on Merciless it was a great challenge. Hard without being too hard.

Then I hit the UberLab and it made me glad my build doesn't need those last two ascendancy points.

The problem isn't Izaro. If I die to him it's probably my fault since I can dodge everything he does. The problem isn't the Goddess. Yes her mortar barrage can one-shot me if I'm not paying attention, but that's my own fault for playing a life build without tons of mitigation. The problem isn't even the traps. I can mitigate them effectively and I can dodge them or outsmart them (except in the last Izaro fight, where trying to dodge everything becomes really, really hard, but I'll get to that).

The problem is visibility. Namely, the absence of it. First we have the enormous multi-screen multi-trap gauntlets supported by a half-dozen pop-ups with Temporal Chains and a dozen circles that chunk you if you use a movement skill in them. I can't see traps hidden under four bright glowing circles, or at least can't tell where they are right now, because the map is dark, the traps are dark, and these neon circles draw attention right to them. I can't see all the traps at once because the gauntlet is so large, which means I have to effectively face-check the latter parts of it and probably eat a ton of damage in the process. And each trap I get hit by cuts my light radius, which makes all of these problems even worse. Necromancers like my current main, with their large number of minions, get a double-whammy as their minions will obscure traps from view and the constant sound of traps hitting them makes it hard to know when I'm getting hit until my health starts plummeting (This got me killed in the final trial last time, right before Izaro himself died). Even in the third ascendancy trial seeing all the traps is hard, because on top of minions and Izaro himself blocking view of them you have the green mortar spam covering things up and you need to keep dodging Izaro's antics, which can easily lead to losing track of a trap at a bad time.

The Uber Lab wouldn't be so bad if I could visually keep track of everything, but certain elements of its design seem to actively work against that. Even if you change nothing else, this issue should definitely be addressed. The Lab is supposed to be a trial of cunning and skill, not 'hope you get lucky and the traps you can't see aren't there when you run past them.'
Last bumped on Sep 23, 2016, 6:47:54 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info