2.4 Righteous Firestorm Chieftain aka the Phoenix Chieftain

Hello Exiles,

welcome to this brief guide to a Righteous Fire Firestorm Iron Will regen Chieftain

in short:

The Phoenix Chieftain

Introduction:

This is my first build guide ever. So bear with me for the lack of fancy grafics, i have no idea where people always get their amazing artworks from :D.

You will find all relevant infos about the build in the respective Spoiler tags.

If i missed something feel free to ask in the comments. I'll try to update this guide as good as possible but i have a baby now and therefore lacking the time to fully commit to PoE no-life ;-)

Because of that it will probably take a while to show a video of the build in action. But i'll try my best to upload one soon.

Note: If you want to check out my character you can do this here: EldritchHorror

Some features:
- up to 40,9% Life regeneration
- 12 sec Immortal Call
- up to 110k Firestorm dps
- ~ 65% physical resistance
- ~ 6k Life
- HC viable

Interested? Enjoy the read :)

*** Idea / History ***
Spoiler

The idea to combine the power of Righteous Fire with spell casting is not new. I made a character of that kind when RaizQT published his RF Incinerator (aka the Budget Atziri Killer) that was hugely popular for a while (when incinerate was still able to shotgun).

Over time (and after the gutting of Incinerate) i lost interest and this kind of build was rarely seen too.

That changed when Prophecy hit the Servers. With it came the awesome feature of fated uniques that led to some really interesting possibilities.

When combined with Ascendancy classes i suddenly realized that you can accumulate a shitton of regen on a character and therefore make a really nice RF build (like many did).

Now, i'm not the BV / RF / just walk around and kill shit type of guy. I prefer doing stuff myself, preferably through casting.

It didn't take long to realize that all those systems i had in mind work perfectly together:

- high life pool / regen
- Righteous Fire for damage / spell bonus
- Iron will because we stack a lot of STR
- Fire damage to be safe from reflect

The problem only was to assemble all items and systems in a way that they work great together.

So to sum it up, enjoy the build and have fun trying it for yourself. It is not super cheap to complete but can be started pretty easily and cheap as a firestorm caster or any leveling caster build you like. with some respeccing even as a melee.

*** Concept ***
Spoiler

Pros:

- hardcore viable
- extremely high life regen
- decent lifepool later on
- decent armour levels later on
- good % physical damage reduction (does not need immortal call most of the time)
- 10+ sec immortal call if you want it
- decent damage through stacking of STR and the RF multiplier
- easy to level up with firestorm
- mediocre expensive
- defense is easily adaptable depending on content
- hard map mods that require you to disable RF make you pretty much unkillable

Cons:

- fated uniques needed
- some map mods are a pain in the ass to run
- no regen is not playable
- in higher maps the damage feels a bit low compared to other builds
- has to buy a lot of gems from other players
- you need a lot of stats on gear
- hard to achieve a lifepool >6k

With the Phoenix Chieftain build we want to focus on huge regeneration paired with decent life + armour as our form of defense. To be able to deal enough damage we use RF (that needs a lot of regen anyway) and our big STR levels through Iron Will.

As our offensive main skill we choose Firestorm. It is a safe choice vs reflect because we have so much fire resistance already and it deals decent enough amounts of damage for all type of content including bosses.

*** Gearing ***
Spoiler

First of all we need the following items:

- Doon Cuebiyari (to improve our usage of STR)

- Rise of the Phoenix (obviously, because we want to use RF)

- The Blood Dance (because it gives us easy Frenzy Charges that provide more regen + speed)

- Repentance (we need a lot of sockets and this one frees up the Iron Will socket)

- 2x Kaom's Way (the fated Kaom's Sign ring, these provide us with a LOT of regen + charges)

- Brute Force Solution (we need at least one of those to achieve the 306 INT needed for Repentance later on)

- Rare Amulett with lots of INT
e.g.:

- Rare Belt with lots of STR + Life + Resists, preferably with +1 Endurance Charges corruption
e.g.:

- Rare Helm with STR + Life + Resists and a good Enchantment from the Uber Lab (see below under point "Enchantments")
e.g.:

- Rare Body Armor - Hybrid Armour + ES for easier coloring, high armour, life, resists, STR
e.g.:

The only thing necessary to start with are Rise of the Phoenix and the 2 Kaom's Way. You can add the other pieces later ending with the Repentance gloves (those really need some investment + levels first)

You could argue that Doon Cuebiyari could be exchanged for a Doryani's Catalyst, which is fine. But in the end i choose Doon because it has slightly higher cast speed (which we don't get much from the tree) and the additional STR + additional STR conversion is really beneficial to the build as a whole. The crit on Doryani's is wasted because we go Elemental Overload and we don't need the tiny bit of leech it gives because we regen so much anyway and because we are Chieftain.

As you can see many of the above examples have pretty low life rolls. I just used the best i could easily get / already have. If you spend some more currency your life values should be going up quite substantially. With the additional lifenodes above level 90 and some decent gear pieces you should be able to achieve ~6,5k life.

We have 7+ jewel slots in the end. we need one for the Brute Force Solution. that makes 6 slots we can use to stuff holes in our resists or gear. with that many uniques equipped you possibly have to get some resists on jewels. i tried to stack resists + life with as much damage as possible. If you have the choice, prefer cast speed + life + resists over spell damage + life + resists. but that can be quite expensive if you shoot for great damage jewels (life jewels are always expensive as fuck)

Flasks
Spoiler

- 1 Seething Divine Life Flask (instant heal + utility suffix such as anti-freeze)

I experimented a bit with a Saturated Eternal Life Flask of anything instead. the experience is two-fold: for normal mapping this feels absolutely great but you lack the ability to insta heal half of your life if you get hit for a big chunk of your life. personally i am super unsure what feels better. for the moment i stick with the seething.

- 1 Granite Flask or Rumi's Concoction to boost physical resistance and some nice block

- 1 Sulphur Flask (Chemists is nice for more uptime, get of Iron Skin if you use Rumi's)

- 1 Ruby Flask (i use a of Staunching here, we need Bleeding Immunity somewhere. Ruby is needed to boost our Fire resistance to near immunity and therefore enable our massive regen to kick in if needed)

- 1 open flask slot (i prefer quicksilver with of Warding for long curse immunity uptime and nice speed boost. A silver flask could be great too for the massive cast speed increase)

Enchantments
Spoiler

Well, we don't stack auras and we don't make much use of pimped curses. Therefore we have 3 options to increase our main damage source Firestorm:

- 40% increased Firestorm Damage
- 30% increased Firestorm Duration
- 12% increased Firestorm explosion Area of Effect

Generic damage increase is decent but the weakest of the three. we have a total of ~400% damage so it only equals to a rough 10% damage increase on one of our multipliers...not bad but not super exciting.

The duration is very strong, especially against bosses. It increases the Firestorm duration from 2,9sec to 3,5sec for ~20% more final damage on sustained fights. It is not necessary versus trash mobs though.

The best choice is the Firestorm explosion AoE enchantment. Contrary to normal area of effect increases this only increases the splash size of the bolts. On average this greatly increases the amount of hits per target. This results in ~17% more final damage but without the need of a sustained fight.

Note: on a non-AoE-modified Firestorm it increases the bolt splash radius from 10 to 11,2

All of these should be on an armour based helmet with iLvl81+ preferably. It is usually a lot easier to buy a random white, blue or rare helmet with the correct enchantment and roll it yourself than the other way around. Sadly those armour based firestorm enchanted helmets are super rare and mega expensive (5ex+). So this is considered a long term goal ;-)

*** Passive Tree / Ascendancy ***
Spoiler

We only have 1 real possible Ascendancy class choice, because it absolutely buffs everything we do:

The Chieftain

Order of Points:
1. Ngamahu
2. Ramako
3. Hinekora
4. Tawhoa

This gives us lots of regen, fire damage, fire leech, % STR, Fire Pen and Armour. It's like the wet dream of this build. (and the portrait looks fuckin amazing! :D)

Leveling 1-20
Spoiler

Create a Marauder.
You start by getting the nearby lifenodes + regen and work your way up to arsonist for some damage and regen boost. Pick anything you want as a skill to defeat Merveil before you can grab a Firestorm gem from the vendor. Flame totem + Fire Trap is really nice as a starter. Get Enduring Cry from the Intruders in Black Quest reward.

At level 18 you should buy 2 Faster Casting Support gems, a Flame Dash gem and an Elemental Focus Support gem from another player. As Marauder you are not able to buy these yourself and they provide a good early damage boost + mobility.

To boost your leveling process substantially i suggest buying 2 Lifesprig from other players. If you have spare currency you can also get a Goldrim Helmet and Wanderlust Boots. You don't have to change these items until you are level 65 and able to equip the build enabling gear (see below).

Passive Tree Lvl 20

Leveling 21-40
Spoiler

In this phase we have to get some pathing to the templar area done. There is not much damage on the way up there, so you should use a +1 to Fire scepter see Wiki and even some cheap damage jewels to keep the speed up. We take every regen node on the way. Bosses should pose no big difficulty despite not being the fastest kills because you already have quite a bit of regen + life. At level 32 you can equip your 2 Kaom's Way. Paired with Enduring Cry this makes you absolutely unkillable. Get used to using Enduring Cry on every pack to keep up the charges. If you run into mana problems you can do the Fixtures of Fate Quest in Act 3 to get the Bloodmagic Support Gem.

If you do not use Lifesprig you should start using a 3-linked +1 to fire scepter with: Firestorm + Faster Casting Support + Elemental Focus Support.

If you cannot support the manacost for some reason use a 4-link with an added Blood Magic Support.
Start using the Stone Golem at the end of act 4.

Support Oak for +40 flat Life at the Bandit Quest.

Passive Tree Lvl 40

Leveling 41-60
Spoiler

First of all we get Elemental overload to get that sweet damage multi (you should add Orb of Storms to your setup for more reliable procs of it. Sadly you have to buy it from another player again...). After that we fill out the Templar section and go for the 2 Endurance Charges we can easily get yet.

You can help Alira in Cruel if you like the 5% cast speed. I chose not to and take the passive. Both is fine.

At this stage you should try to get some links going. A 5-link or a Tabula Rasa works wonders in a build were we don't have that much damage from the tree.
Most importantly: Get the Orb of Storms 4-link up and running (see Link section).

You can start using The Blood Dance boots at level 44 which makes playing much more smooth.

As soon as you feel comfortably equipped (resists, links) you can go for normal and cruel labyrinth and get your Ascendancy + Ramako. It makes supporting RF soon much more easy.

Passive Tree Lvl 60

Leveling 61-80
Spoiler

This is the point were you start putting the build together. You head down into the duelist area grabbing all the remaining regen nodes, some more life and the last endurance charge. Support Oak for another Endurance Charge.

At level 65 you can equip Rise of the Phoenix + Doon Cuebiyari. I would advise you to just try to use RF at that point. If you feel like it is not safe enough you can wait with it until you have all the duelist regen stuff. With the amount of regen you get from keeping up your endurance charges + passive tree regen it should be fairly easy to keep you full health though.

RF boosts your damage quite substantially and makes your mapping / dried lake experience much better at that point. Additionally you should kill marciless Izaro for the Hinekora Ascendancy point to further pimp your damage + survivability.

If you ever feel like you are in danger or you do a map mod that is really hard or not doable with RF up, just turn it off (Flask of Dousing or not activating it at all) and enjoy the massive regen that carries you through everything.

Additionally you should finish all 4-links of the Links section below and try to get a decent 6-link (or 5-link if you are not wealthy enough). Because we need 4 blue sockets on our 6-link it's probably best to use a INT / STR hybrid armor despite it having ES (which you usually want to avoid because of RF interaction). It makes rolling the correct colors much less of a pain.

Passive Tree Lvl 80

Finished Tree at 90
Spoiler

Spend your last few points to 90 on adding more life nodes, the duration wheel near scion and the jewel slot near duelist.

After that you can spend the rest on whatever you feel like. ele damage at templar start, life nodes near scion start or whatever the hell you like to ;-) (i prefer scion life nodes though, we don't get that much flat life on gear easily)

If you not already did it yet, try to incorporate the Repentance gloves. You will need the Brute Force Solution Jewel near the Templar area and a very good INT amulet. Maybe even use a second Brute Force jewel somewhere else if you cannot get a good enough amulet. You need a total of 306 INT to be able to equip it.

Passive Tree Lvl 90

*** Gem Links / Auras ***
Spoiler

Main 6-link: (in order of importance)
Firestorm + Faster Casting + Blood Magic + Elemental Focus + Fire Penetration + Controlled Destruction

You can use Spell Echo instead of Faster Casting if you like. It locks you in place slightly longer though, so i sticked with Faster Casting. Using Spell Echo starts to shine when you activate Vaal Haste. So use as you feel more fitting to your playstyle.

Cwdt Setup:
Cast when damage taken (pick a level you you feel comfortable with) + Increased Duration + Vortex + Molten Shell / Immortal Call

I swap out Molten Shell for Immortal Call if i anticipate a lot of physical damage incoming, e.g. uber izaro. For most of the time using the Molten Shell provides you with a lot of extra armour and the occasional BOOOM that clears your vicinity ;-) It is actually really rare that i swap it out, but i always have it with me in my weapon swap.

edit: i changed my setup to have Immortal Call permanently in it instead of Molten Shell. While the additional armour of Molten Shell is nice, the ~12sec phys immunity is just more reliable when you really need it. I will level my Cwdt to ~level 16 because i don't want it to get rid of my charges too fast. Will have to further test what would be the optimal level.

Orb of Storms Setup:
Orb of Storms + Increased Area of Effect + Curse on Hit + Warlords Mark

Your bread and butter setup for every occasion. You can use Increased Critical Strikes instead of Increased Area if you want faster and more reliable procs or Faster Casting if you want the setup time to be lower. As a curse you can use whatever you like. I use WM because of another source of leech, faster accumulation of endurance charges if i use Immortal call in my Cwdt setup and the occasional stun which is awesome sometimes. Enfeeble would be super good to increase your defenses of course but you might as well go for Elemental weakness if you want to boost your offense more. If you somehow manage to get an additional curse just drop Increased Area and put it in here. Another person suggested on reddit to use Blind or Knockback instead of Increased Area, which seems possible but in my experience is not really needed. Feel free to experiment a bit ;-)

Aura Setup:
Haste + Purity of Fire + Increased Duration + Vaal Haste

We use Haste + PoF to boost our cast speed and of course to ramp up our fire resistance into obscene levels. If you want more defenses you can definitly use Determination. Anger deals slightly more damage than Haste (see "Math" section but i like the movement speed boost more. Vaal Haste eleminates our biggest weakness, which is cast speed and lasts for quite a while with the Increased Duration Gem + Nodes on the tree.

Movement Setup + Golem:
Flame Dash + Faster Casting + Stone Golem

Put this in your weapon for a lvl 30 Iron will added to your Flame Dash. It doesn't make that much of a difference though :D The Stone Golem does some nice tanking for you and gives a good flat amount of regen, which is always nice.

Righteous Fire + Enduring Cry Setup:
Righteous Fire + Increased Area of Effect + Enduring Cry

Last we have our Righteous Fire Setup. The Increased Area makes more enemies burn which helps our damage a bit through Ngamahu (first Ascendancy point). The Increased Area works well with Enduring Cry too to get as much Endurance Charges as possible which is especially important if you use Immortal Call in your Cwdt setup.

*** Maps ***
Spoiler

Mods to avoid:
- No Regen

You would have to change a lot to make the build work. And even then it would be horrendously gimped afterwards. absolutely not worth it.

Mods where you have to play without RF:
- Blood Magic (turn off PoF and Anger)

tbh, you should be able to sustain RF without PoF if you are overcapped enough. might be worth exploring further because of the sweet bonus pack size.

don't use RF if more than 1 of the following mods are present at the same time:
- -Max
- Vulnerability
- Shocked Ground
- 60% reduced regen
- 40% reduced regen

some of these mods are doable as a combo even with RF active. i tried -Max + Vulnerability, Shocked ground + anything and vulnerability + 40% reduced regen. as long as you keep up your charges the regen is enough. just remember to bring a flask of dousing to cancel RF when walking around for longer periods of time or enemies being too though. and always remember: you won't have any regen left with those mods! just deactivate RF and deal with the lower damage man ;-)

*** Math ***
Spoiler

You can find some math for most interesting things here:

Total Regen / Life Recovery:
Spoiler

Passives: 13,2%
Chieftain: 2,5%
Sulphur Flask: 4%
Endurance Charges: 9* 1,5% (2* 0,4 Kaoms Way + 0,5 Ramako + 0,2 passive)= 13,5%
Frenzy Charges: 3* 0,5% / 1% if legacy Blood Dance = 1,5% / 3%
Boot Enchantment: up to 2%
Marble Amulet: 1,2% (see Wiki)

Total % life regen per second: 39,4%

if you manage to get a +1 Endurance Charge belt this goes up to 40,9%.

Time needed to regen to full health while fully buffed:
Max Life: 5500
Max Regen per second: 2167
Life cost for casting: 275 / 326 (with Vaal Haste up)
3,72 seconds through regen

Max Leech per second: 1100
2,44 seconds with Vaal Haste active while leeching at max capacity

You can do -Max, Vulnerability or Shocked Ground maps with RF active. If 2 or more are active at the same time it is strongly advised to turn off RF and just go with the massive regen instead.

Estimated Damage on Firestorm:
Spoiler

Damage calculation on Firestorm is really hard to do because of the random amount of hits the spell deals to a target enemy.
Just for completion i have to mention that increasing AoE of Firestorm decreases the damage per enemy. Decreasing it through Concentrated Effect increases it. This is because not just the area of the storm itself but also the bolts increasing in AoE. The enemy hitbox however stays the same. So on average every enemy gets hit by slightly less bolts per storm. The larger the enemy the more hits. That makes enemies like Izaro or Dominus, Ascendant take a lot more damage than Squids for example.
On the other hand decreasing the AoE lowers your clearspeed, you have to cast more to reach all mobs of a pack. Because of this i decided to neglect any AoE changing passives or gear. You can check the effects on damage of changes to the AoE with the below damage calculator.

The best way to estimate it is to use this:

Awesome Firestorm damage calculator by Sinisa Raic

For calculations i use 20/20 gems. You can get more accurate results for yourself if you use the above calculator and enter your specific values.

I calculated with the following 4 different 6-link options:
stable 4-link: Firestorm + Bloodmagic + Fire Penetration + Elemental Focus +

(1): Faster Casting + Controlled Destruction
(2): Spell Echo + Controlled Destruction
(3): Faster Casting + Spell Echo
(4): Faster Casting + Controlled Destruction and Anger instead of Haste

Stats:
Spoiler

Cast Speed:
Spoiler

Cast time formula: 1 / [{1 / 0,9} * {1 + (inc% / 100)}]

(1): 106% / 142% with Vaal Haste
(2): 97% / 158% with Vaal Haste
(3): 180% / 241% with Vaal Haste
(4): 90% / 126% with Vaal Haste

time to finish cast sequence:
(1): 0,44sec / 0,37sec with Vaal Haste
(2): 0,92sec / 0,7sec with Vaal Haste
(3): 0,64sec / 0,52sec with Vaal Haste
(4): 0,47sec / 0,4sec with Vaal Haste

Damage per Bolt:
Spoiler

formula: {base damage} * {inc% total (466% in my build for a 5,66 multi)} * {frenzy charges * 4} * {RF 1,59} * {Elemental Overload 1,4} * {Controlled Destruction 1,44} * {Elemental Focus 1,49}

remove or add any mods to the formula to fit it to your setup.

without RF:
(1): 3856
(2): 3532
(3): 2453
(4): 4368

with RF:
(1): 6131
(2): 5615
(3): 3900
(4): 6945

This results in the following estimated dps values:

without Vaal Haste active:
(1): 58555 / 93102 with RF on
(2): 51303 / 81559 with RF on
(3): 51219 / 81432 with RF on
(4): 62096 / 98731 with RF on

with Vaal Haste active:
(1): 69633 / 110716 with RF on
(2): 67427 / 107192 with RF on
(3): 63038 / 100224 with RF on
(4): 72963 / 116009 with RF on

Conclusion:

The biggest damage output will be using (4) with ~5% more damage than (1). Using (2) is ~3% less damage than (1) for the benefit of lower Manacosts (and therefore slightly more regen) but locks you in place nearly twice as long which is not really what we want. (3) is just gimping yourself on all fronts: lowest damage, still locked in place longer than with just using (1) or (4).

Therefore the decision you have to make is do you want the 5% more damage (Anger) or the 9% more movement speed (Haste) ?

In any case, the prefered 6-link would always be:

Firestorm + Faster Casting + Blood Magic + Elemental Focus + Fire Penetration + Controlled Destruction

Last edited by Skilez on Oct 17, 2016, 7:08:20 AM
Last bumped on Sep 19, 2016, 10:09:24 AM
// reserved for future additions //

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info