[2.4] Viability Check: Wild Strike Raider

Origin

I have a tendency to like off beat builds. So, seeing as how a majority of the builds for rangers is, well, ranged, I thought I'd try something different. A melee based ranger.

This build was finalized when this dropped for me on another character:

I went to Elemental Equilibrium due to the random nature of Wild Strike. Crunching the numbers, I estimate it gives almost a 50% DPS increase. True, it's expensive, passive-wise, but a lot of those nodes are useful ones anyways.

You will also notice: no Iron Reflexes, no Acrobatics. This is deliberate. Iron Reflexes is not the best for a pure evasion character, and one of our main defenses will be block.

Gems and Links

Main attack:
5/6L: Wild Strike+Melee Physical Damage+Weapon Elemental Damage+Multistrike+Faster Attacks(+Increased Critical Strikes for 6L)

Auras:
4L: Poacher's Mark+Blasphemy+Grace+Enlighten

Utility:
3L: Summon Ice Golem+Phase Run+Shield Charge/Whirling Blades (your preference)
3L: Blood Rage+Increased Duration+Rallying Cry
4L: Riposte+Blade Vortex+Blind+OPEN (Used to have Tempest Shield here. Too much effort for too little reward.)

Defense:
4L: Cast when Damage Taken (1)+Blade Vortex (8)+Blind (max)+Rallying Cry (8)

What? Phase Run? Really?
Really. Like I said, I like oddball builds. And this is just to see if this build would be viable. That's why the Blood Rage is there... to generate Frenzy charges. Rallying Cry to keep our mana up. Blade Vortex+Blind to help with our survivability.

You've got Blade Vortex+Blind there twice, doofus.
Yes, I know. One is a self cast, to prep for when you're going into somewhere you KNOW is dangerous.

Leveling

23 Points
Starting out, we need some survivability. Heart of Oak, Herbalism, and the live nodes nearby. Survivalist and the evasion cluster for defenses.
49 Points
Now we fill out the center a bit, picking up some useful nodes, and take Elemental Equilibrium. Command of Steel, Reflexes, and Constitution. You should be around level 38 or so and can brave the Labyrinth for the Rapid Assault ascendancy.
75 Points
Tromping though Cruel, and picking up more defenses, as well as a Frenzy node. At this point, if you feel that you're not killing fast enough, then you can skip Art of the Gladiator and take some of the sword wheel on the right side. Pick up the Way of the Poacher ascendancy from the Lab.
108 Points
Core build done. The rest is just details.

Bandits
Normal: Kill all
Cruel: Kill all
Merciless: Kill all/Frenzy charge

I figure I'm going to need all the skill points I can get with this build.

Fair warning: I am still in the process of building and testing this. Currently at level 20 HC, and she seems to be doing OK. Just have to watch myself and be aware of what's around me, but that's normal for HC. Currently leveling with Elemental Hit+Melee Splash, and that makes a poor man's Wild Strike. I'll update with further news as it develops.

EDIT: I've started working on the sword wheel at level 32, rather than work up to Elemental Equilibrium, because I felt I needed more damage. Turns out that one point into the wheel, and grabbing an updated rapier, worked for the damage.

EDIT 2: Once I started running Poacher's Mark with Blasphemy and Wild Strike, I haven't had too much of a mana problem. Then again, I'm only running Wild Strike+Faster Attacks, so the mana load isn't too heavy... yet.

Edit 3: Died trying to assault Dominus. Partly my fault, I got hit by two of the blackguard's slams in a row. But I'm not giving up on this build, now that it's in Standard. Just killed Argus in the Lab. Have to adopt a bit of a Hit-and-run play style, and keep the blinding blade vortex up. Didn't make it past Izaro, but took what I learned against Argus and managed to kill Dominus. So, off to Act 4...

EDIT 4: Ascended. Was tough, but managed. Build still doing well. Since I'm in Standard, I had a bunch of uniques I threw on her to level.
Spoiler
Not too big of a difference, but the Wyrm's Molt is helping. I may simply swap those out with quality rares when I find them. (Especially the shield, since I've got a lot of shield defense nodes.) Also, at the moment, I'm not convinced that Blood Rage is doing much. I've got full Frenzy just from Poacher's Mark, and the extra attack speed, while fun to see, doesn't seem to help. I'll do more research on that. And finally, may swap Rallying Cry with Enduring Cry, not sure.

EDIT 5: Just realized that there was another build that did something similar. So, I'm taking cues from ComradeSerge and altering the build slightly, at least where it comes to itemization. His defense theory is the same as mine, but he has Lioneye's Remorse as a shield, citing that what you don't evede, you block and what you don't block, your armor mitigates. So, I'll be trying that; pure armor shield and hybrid chest with the rest as evasion. Also, toying with replacing Poacher's Mark with Assassin's Mark, to grant Power Charges as well as Blood Rage for Frenzy Charges. And also realized that there's a cluster of mana leech nodes close to my pathing, so I can alter a bit for that...
Last edited by Lanzlo on Sep 27, 2016, 8:40:53 PM
Last bumped on Sep 11, 2016, 11:37:10 AM
Reserved
Interesting build. Nice range of defenses too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info