[2.4] The Furnace - Turn your enemy to ashes! Burning Vortex Chieftain

For a (short) video, see the bottom of this post.

Introduction

With the release of the essences I decided to create my own build, one I hadn't seen anyone playing before, one that really abuses the hell out of the new essences.
The build I created is quite a success - I just hit level 89.
Currently I am chaining uber-labs, previously I was clearing T11 maps without an issue.
Will progress higher in tiers, soon.
Update: Cleared T15 Colosseum today. Absolutely no problem for this build.
Due to having to work I proably cant progress fast coming time, however I hope to get my hands on a T16 to kill those pescy guardians somewhat soon.
Update 2: The first of them is down. So is core malachi. You know who's next. :-)

Selling points of the build

Pros:
* Extreme damage. Bosses die before my first flask sip expires.
* A single ignite deals upwards 1mio dmg.
* Can do reflect nevertheless
* Good clearspeed
* 220% max life from tree
* 20k armour (with flask) + 7 endurance charges
* 15.2% of max life regenerated per second
* Can't be stunned
* 87 (88 with lvl 20 purity) maximum fire resistance
* 1% leech (1.6% when counting boots enchantment)
* Can do all map-mods. Only combinations of them might be impossible. See below for more info.
* Can go ranged via frostbolt, for dangerous encounters
* We use a 4-link for both of our attack skills. No need to spend tonss of fusings!

Cons:
* Requires you to get somewhat lucky when crafting
* Early leveling sucks. I played sweep/earthquake until level 45, then respecced into the build.
* Usually somewhat melee

Kurukar at work

This is my character drying out a famous lake in merciless (Yes, my resists are overcapped that much).
As you can see, I forgot to put on Purity of Fire and Flammability. Oh well..

Basic Information

The idea

You thought poisons damage scaling due to double dipping was OP?
Well guess what - ignite can double dip, too. In particular ignites caused by vortex double dip from spelldamage.
There are quite a few multipliers we can pick up to double-dip on our ignite:
* 30% more elemental damage from the new helmet essence
* 59% more aoe damage from conc effect
* 59% more spell damage from righteous fire
* 40% more elemental damage from elemental overload
* 44% more spell damage from controlled destruction
* All the spell/elemental damage from our skilltree
That is quite a lot! And remember: All those modifiers double dip, meaning they apply twice!
This is due to vortex's nice line "Modifiers to spell damage apply to this skills damage over time".
And as confirmed by MarkGGG, this includes ignite damage!

Synergies

As outlined above, double dipping is a great synergy. But we have more.
We pick the chieftain ascendancy class. This gives us 20% chance for an endurance charge, when we kill a burning enemy. Enemies don't only burn through vortex, but incidentially also by righteous fire.
Meaning all enemies that die have a 20% chance to grant us an endurance charge.
This allows us to have them up all time without hassle.
Endurance charges also grant us a lot of life regen via our ascendancy and Kaom's way.
Pyre allows our vortex to deal fire damage, while still keeping the cold dot (it does not get converted). This lets our ignites go crazy.
Orb of storms with increased crit keeps elemental overload active all the time.
Our high fire-resistance helps against reflect. So does the fact that ignites and RF damage doesnt get reflected at all.

Playstyle and map modifiers

The normal way of playing is just running through white mobs.
Thanks to the gloves, RF deals damage quite comparable or higher than pure RF builds in 2.3.
Therefore white mobs just die without needing any attention at all.
For blue and yellow mobs, you cast vortex once and go on.
For bosses, you drop orb of storms and then spam vortex until they die.

The build is strong enough to work, even with parts of it disabled due to map modifiers.
In a no-regen map, we obviously can't put RF on, however Vortex as a standalone is enough to pull us through. In reflect maps, our high fire-resistance does a hell of a good job. Hitting few enemies with vortex is not a problem. For more of them, we still have RF, which does not get reflected.

Tree and Gear

Tree

Final plan
Current one (lvl 89)
Ticks and tricks for leveling:
* Diamond skin is great early on, when you do not have enough resistances. Take it and unspecc later.
* If you level via a melee skill, consider getting some of the melee damage passives as well as righteous technique and unspecc later
* Without the manaleech on the boots, mana might be an issue early. In that case pick Righteous Decree and unspecc later. Also there are those mana/liferegen nodes near the templar. While not efficient later on, they can be of great help more early, as they are near your tree.
* I chose to get all the offensie stats first, the only thing remaining for me to pick from now on are lifenodes. You can always choose to go a more defensive route.

Bandits

Normal: Help Oak to get the life (like every life-based build does xD).
Cruel: Kill all. The skill-point is far more valuable than the castspeed and the rest is useless for us.
Merciless: Help Oak. Endurance charges have a great synergy with out build. We want more.

Gear

Old Gear (until lv90)

Singularity was dropped, due to two reasons: 1) Conditional damage does not apply to DoT (thanks to Partsu7 for this), 2) I switched to shieldcharge, and it has a terrible attackspeed.

Pyre, Kaom's Way and Rise of the Phoenix are a must for the build.
The helmet needs to have 30% eledamage for vortex, the gloves 30% dot for RF. Their additional stats are just a bonus.
Doryani's is a massive source of damage and has a nice attackspeed for the use of shield-charge.
The new amulet base is great, once you reach that level (not needed for the build to work). Try to craft a good one for yourself, the essence fo anger has a nice ~30% fire damage.

Jewels

In the following I will rate possible modifiers you can have on your jewels.
For the rating keep the following in mind: We have four damage-sources:
* The upfront damage of vortex
Cold damage converted to fire. Scaled by every modifier useful to our build.
* The ignite damage
Double-dips on all modifiers that affect the upfront damage, except for cold-damage
* The Cold-DoT of Vortex
DoT does not get converted, as such this does not get scaled by increased fire-damage.
* Righteous fire
Was never converted from cold an as such is unaffected by increased cold-damage.
Additionally it is unaffected by increased spell-damage.

Tier 1 modifiers

* (14-16)% increased Fire Damage
Scales all our damage, huge numeric value. The best modifier.
* (5-7)% increased maximum Life
Life not only helps us survive but also increases RF damage. Get it.
* (10-12)% increased Area Damage
Scales all our damage, tough numeric values are smaller than for the fire-damage modifier.
* +(7-13)% to Chaos Resistance
I had quite some problems with chaos-damage this patch and considering how hard resistances are to come by, I really think they are great, even tough the numeric value may seem low.
* (14-16)% increased Spell Damage while holding a Shield
Doesn't scale RF, but a huge numeric value for our Vortex.

Tier 2 modifiers

* (8-10)% increased Damage
Scales all our damage, but the numeric values are a bit low, making it only Tier 2.
* +(8-10)% to all Elemental Resistances
* +(10-12)% to Cold and Lightning Resistances
* +(10-12)% to Fire and Cold Resistances
* +(10-12)% to Fire and Lightning Resistances
Really depends on your gear. Those give you some freedom and are extremely great early on.
However, once you have reached the point, where enough resistances from gear are no longer an issue at all,
get rid of them on the jewels.
* (3-5)% increased Cast Speed while holding a Shield
Cast speed not only for Vortex, but also for lightning warp. Not great, but definitely not bad either.
* (10-12)% increased Spell Damage
Doesn't scale RF, but still a nice boost for vortex.

Tier 3 modifiers

* (3-5)% increased Cast Speed with Cold Skills
Cast speed again, but this time only for Vortex/Frostbolt.
* (2-4)% increased Cast Speed
Cast speed for everything, but smaller numeric values than the one with the shield.
* (2-4)% increased Attack and Cast Speed
Same as the above, attackspeed is irrelevant.
* (14-16)% increased Cold Damage
Damage only for our vortex and it does not double-dip the ignite.
* (10-12)% increased Damage over Time
Small numeric values and does not scale the upfront damage of our vortex.
* +1% Chance to Block with Shields
Block really becomes a lot better when stacked. We don't have enough block for this to be great.
* (12-15)% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
Can be ok, definitely not great.
* (14-18)% increased Armour
Has some uses, but there are better things to get
* (2-3)% chance to Ignite, (3-5)% increased Ignite Duration on Enemies"
Chance to ignite is great, but the very low numeric value on this makes it subpar to other modifiers.
* +(12-15)% to Lightning Resistance
* +(12-15)% to Cold Resistance
* +(12-15)% to Fire Resistance
Resistances once more, but this time only very small numeric values. Still every bit may help.

Gems

Vortex - Controlled Destruction - Concentrated AoE - Increased AoE
This makes Vortex have a lot of double dipping power. Put the gems into a helmet with 30% more eledmg
Righteous Fire - Increased AoE - Elemental Focus - Increased Burning Damage
Put it into gloves with 30% more damage over time. This is enough to kill white mobs by walking through them without further ado.

Shield Charge - Fortify - Decoy Totem
Getting around quick if we need too. Grants fortify for reduced damage taken.
I used to use lightning warp, but like this more in the end.
Decoy totem is just a nice defensive tool against dangerous stuff.

Tempest Shield - Cast When Damage Taken - Increased Duration
Some free extra block is nice. Want.

Purity of Fire - Blasphemy - Flammability - Frostbolt
I know the cold-dot of vortex does not get converted. Still I prefer this to ele-weakness, simply for the ignite chance. The small extra -fire from it is nice.
Frostbolt is in there, because it allows Vortex to become ranged. I very rarely use Frostbolt, but there is stuff where you dont want to get near, so it always is an option.

Enduring Cry
Endurance Charges are very important for our build.
Get them racked up quickly at the start of the map with this.
You dont have to cast this very often, due to our ascendancy, but still a very valuable skill.

Orb of Storms - Increased Critical Strikes - (Molten Shell - Cast when damage taken - Lifeleech)
Orb of Storms keeps up Elemental Overload at all times. Use it for boss fights.
Remember, that 40% more double dips on ignites.
For the remaining sockets I attached Molten Shell with Lifeleech to it. CwdT does not support Orb of Storms, but both benefit from the leech. It's just a nice little extra-bonus to have.

Flasks

Flasks are a great way to make any character more powerful.
The following things are a must:
* A way to remove bleeding.
* A way to turn of RF.
* A flask raising our defenses by a lot.
* A moovement flask.
* A way to unfreeze

I chose the following setup:

Bubbling Divine Flask of Staunching
Bubblings insta-heal is only a little bit smaller than Seething. Additionally it let's the antibleed have a duration.

Divination Distillate
A nice utility. Manaregen can come in handy against fights like argus (He is ignite-immune and actually takes a bit of time to kill.) Extra rarity is nice. And the maxres provides defense as well as essentially 4% liferegen.

Experimenter's Granite Flask of Iron Skin
Will be replaced by a Ruumi's Concotion later. Makes us able to facetank any and all physdamage in combination with our endurance charges.

Experimenter's Quicksilver Flask of Heat
Unfreezing is really important for me. It stops so many dangerous situations. Also it is great for opening strongboxes that freeze. And we can run through chilled ground. Makes me take this over the "of Adrenaline" Suffix

Chemist's Sulphur Flask of Dousing
I wanted a spammable flask to stop RF. I chose this one, as usually when I stop it, the extra-regen is nice. It does not cost many flask charges on usage. And having 40% increased damage every now and then certainly doesn't hurt. I would have considered the Stibnite for blind, however due to unwavering stance this was not an option.

Videos and Screenshots

Powerpoint Presentation (aka Video)

I'm sorry, I am playing on a laptop and it was not meant for recording.
It lags like hell. It also is the reason the video is very short, I could not stand playing this way. However it should at least give you an idea of what the build feels like.

T11 Wastelands
Emperor has +69% life from map mods.
Many of my gems are currently undereleveled, as I just traded them in with the GCP-recipe.
(See end of the video for gemlevels.)
Emperor still dead in under a flask-duration anyways.
Clearing trash usually goes smoother, if it doesn't take ~1sec for every click to register.

T14 Springs, double Boss, Enfeeble
Here gems have a decent level again. :-)

A few cleared maps

Right after hitting lvl 90 I decided to give atziri a try.
I know it is nothing special for a lot of builds, but I wanted to try it.
Notes I made: I can facetank trio as long as antibleed is up. (By the time it is not they are all dead anyways.)
I can facetank the small flameblasts from atziri.
I can not facetank the big double-flameblasts from her and died as a result of it. This was my only death for the run and I am confident to keep it deathless from now on by avoiding those.

After Atziri I went into T15 Colosseum, which I had gotten from a "The Trial" card set.
It provided absolutely no resistance and so Daresso fell soon.
Sadly it didn't drop any map at all, when I was hoping so much for a T16.^^

With T14 springs now being my highest map (from a divination-set also^^) I went in there.
Due to Temporal chains clearspeed wasn't the best, but just like with the previous maps I had no problems clearing it.

Last edited by Rayshan on Sep 18, 2016, 11:07:36 AM
Last bumped on Nov 21, 2016, 12:18:58 PM
~Reserved~
Would love to see a video of this build in action. Seems pretty interesting.
Sounds like a very interesting build idea. Do you anticipate this being HC viable?

Last edited by D_nasty on Sep 10, 2016, 5:34:39 PM
I just added a video of me killing Brittle Eperor (Voll) in a T11 map.
It is really laggy, as my laptop was not meant for recording, but you should get the idea.
If not recording my game doesn't lag - this just is OBS doing its work :-/

---

As a sidenote, I have progressed a little, the highest tier I have done by now was a Tier 13 George, which went smoothly.

---

As for HC:
I do believe, you can play this in HC.
I currently have 6k hp and due to being softcore there are 8(!) lifenodes directly at my tree (no, not even a single connection-node needed). So you could have ~40% additional increased life totally easy and get 7-8k life that way.

Take care of keeping endurance charges up in HC tough.
The seven of them provide you not only with 28% flat physical reduction (added straight to the armour-reduction so like 40-60% less damage(!)) but also a whopping 6.3% liferegeneration.
Don't get thrown off by the survivability-difference between having them and not having them and you should be fine.
Last edited by Rayshan on Sep 10, 2016, 7:00:54 PM
Cleared up the build a little.
Included a T14 bosskill-video.
I have now sucessuflly killed atziri and cleared a T15 map.
As soon as I get my hands on a T16 I will go and kick some guardians ass. :-)
The only thing you're missing now is the jewels. Good job with the guide, looks much better.
I like the looks of this. Fan of RF here and I'm glad someone is using singularity for something other than a cool effect.
Censored.
Really cool idea. I made a new marauder because of it yesterday. Currently 56 and in merciless act 2.

Leveled with Sunder, Ancenstral Protector, Golem,Vortex (since act 3 cruel) and Herald of Ash + Blasphemy-Warlords Mark.

Vortex is now my main damage source. But I still use all the other skills. Switched to 2x Nycta's at around level 49 since my 2handed mace became lackluster. But it got me all the way from 22 to 49.

Killing trash and blues is just dot and run. Bosses on the other hand take some time atm. My gear isn't there yet.

Just trying to get to Dried Lake atm to get some more levels. Btw I have a Rime Gaze. Do you think it is worth using at the start? http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rime_Gaze

My biggest question is when can I run RF? At 65 when I can use the shield?

Btw there is a node that you forgot to take?! 0.2% of maximum life regenerated per endurance charge! Left of the one endurance charge node.
Last edited by zorker on Sep 12, 2016, 5:41:13 AM
Added a "Jewels" section to Tree and Gear.
I rate all the modifiers we might want for our build there.

@Zorker:
Nice to hear about your experiences so far.
Righteous fire is possible at level 65 with the shield and Kaom's Way!
Your Fire-Resistance should be 75 (base) + 8 (shield) + 3 (lower level purity) + 1 (tree) = 87%.
Meaning you burn for 11.7% of max. life per second.
On the other hand you have 7*0.9 = 6.3% liferegen from endurance charges (0.5% via ascendancy, 0.4 via kaom's way).
Additionally you have the following from the tree: 0.8% "Life Regeneration", 1.8% "Warriors Blood", 0.5% "Armour Mastery", 1% "Arsonist", 1% "Sancity".
And then there is 2% from the Ascendencies Ngamaho and Ramako. (Those two should be picked first!).
They sum up to 13.4% liferegen, more than your degen.
When entering a zone use Enduring Cry to start the charges and then keep them up by simply killing monsters (or casting enduring cry again, if you have to backtrack something).

I didn't forget about the 0.2% node, it is definitely an option.
I just never came around picking it and your endurance charges already grant you so much liferegen, so you value the regen without them a bit more.
Maybe I will unspecc out of "Shaper" and get that node as well as a 5% life one. I just needed the manaregen, as at the time I didnt have the boot-enchant. Doesn't seem like a bad idea, will think about it.

Rime Gaze you may always try, but I wouldn't advice anyone on buying it.
Keep in mind, energy shield is BAD. We do not want it. Due to RF, it is always down, so it provides no defenses at all. To make matters worse, it increases the damage we take from RF, without increasing our liferegeneration.
The only reason I have it on gear is due to socket-colouring (and the consideration when crafting, that one day, I may use some gear on a witch xD).
Notice how I crafted only % increased armour on my helmet instead of the % increased armour and ES.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info