[2.4 Theorycraft] HC, Ethereal Knives Crit phys+chaos+ele, CI, Block, Leech, 2-curse

I've been doing research as I prepare my Essence league build. After trying (and failing) to find anything similar on the forums here, I'm almost enticed to use the new Blade Vortex seeing all the hype around it. I'm looking to make something different. This build takes increased damage and more damage multipliers from a lot of sources. I have messed with the damage calculator some and can hit over 400k DPS with a level 4 empower. Could be pushed further with low life (Pain Attunement + Hatred).
I chose Pathfinder for status ailment immunity, free poison, and flask effectiveness. Yes, this is a PF crit build that does not get Master Surgeon, but Master Alchemist instead.

With all of the numbers in the damage calculator, our DPS is spread out almost equally: about 9-10k phys & chaos and 9-10k elemental. With 4.3 casts/second and 52% actual chance to crit, DPS is 342k.

play style concept:
WB through maps, one-shotting most packs and leaving some to die to poison+ignite. Against bosses, leech should sustain you, but definitely utilize smart movement with WB.

We reach >4 cast/second with EK + Spell Echo, which is comfortable. Always leeching with warlords, atziri, or vinktar. 85% attack speed on tree+golem+gem for whirling blades+fortify.

Tree:
Spoiler
poeplanner Level 96
poeplanner Level 78 (less cast speed, crit multi, phys damage)
passive-passive-Alira or Oak
Level 100 with Heretic's, no mana+flask or Charisma nodes

Can vary:
Regret out of Charisma after getting a Heretic's, and maybe the mana+flask nodes too
take DoT nodes near shadow, or poison node in between ranger/shadow
take Chaos nodes near Vaal Pact
drop phys and +5% phys added as chaos nodes near CI
more cast speed nodes at witch, scion
additional ES available at Scion
IN CASE OF SHAVS DROP, go low-life and put Hatred on life

Damage:
101% inc. Projectile Damage + 29% from Faster Projectiles
183% inc. Physical Damage
86% inc. Chaos Damage
57% inc. Damage over time + 20% inc. Poison damage
28% spell damage + ~100% spell damage from dagger+shield
325% inc. Crit Chance + ~120-260 crit chance from dagger+shield
160% inc. Crit multi
60% inc. Elemental Damage (40% while using flask)
Boost from Empower (big)

total: > 400% increased damage to EK. over 150% to poison, 120% to ignite.
at 39% cast speed + 10% from faster projectiles, possibly more on gear.

% More Multipliers (non-DoT):
Spell crit, +325% chance and +160% multiplier from tree
Vulnerability on blasphemy - 29%
Ming's Heart - 20% as chaos + 5% as chaos from tree
Added Fire - 44% as fire / Phys to Lightning - 29% as lightning
Taste of Hate - 30-45%
Vinktar conversion variant - 30%
Spell Echo 70% more cast speed
10% as random element from Veteran Bowyer
Shock - 50% (from either Vinktar, Veteran Bowyer, PtoL, or added spell dmg on dagger)

extra damage total: 220%+
plus crit multi 310%. Just a basic estimate, 310% multi * 40% crit chance = 124% more damage.

this brings the more damage somewhere in the neighborhood of 350%
Poison should work out to be at least an additional 20% on top, (8% of phys/chaos*150%), and ignite a bit less.

Links:
6L Ethereal Knives + Spell Echo + Faster Projectiles + Added Chaos + Added Fire + Empower

Assume you're running 5L until you get Empower. If using tabula, I would experiment with either Phys to Lightning, Increased Crit/Dmg, or Pierce.

4L Enlighten + Blasphemy + Warlords + Vulnerability
4L Ice Bite or Innervate + Life Leech + PCoC + Blade Vortex
4L CwDT + Immortal Call + Inc. Duration + Tempest Shield
3L WB + Fortify + Faster Attacks
3L Enlighten + Discipline + Lightning Golem

with Heretic's Veil, replace Enlighten+Discipline with Vaal Haste+Increased Duration.
Optional Vaal Discipline instead of Vaal Haste, or drop a link on BV and use both.

Unique Gear:
Only required items are The Lazhwar and the Rainbowstride for Spell Block.
Eventually Heretic's Veil. To run 2 curse+discipline without it, use Charisma passive for 12% reduced mana reserved, or use an Alpha's Howl.

Facebreakers (more damage) or Winds of Change (more "aoe" from Proj. Speed)
Rainbowstride Boots
Stone of Lazhwar amulet with +1 curse.
Ming's Heart ring

Rares:
Resist ring with some ES, cast speed a plus.
Resist belt with ES, flask mods

High ES Chest with resists (Use 15% phys to cold essence)
High ES Helm with resists

Spell Crit+Spell damage dagger. Aim for >120% crit chance and >50% spell damage. Crit multi would be nice here.

Decent ES shield, with Spell crit or spell damage, and resists. Titanium/Thorium for 25% block.

Leveling:
to be updated as I do it tomorrow; obviously I will run without Vulnerability, Ming's heart, Taste of Hate, and Vessel of Vinktar, until I can acquire them. I'm going to level as hybrid, using 1 panicked life flask, 1 seething life flask, a quicksilver, a diamond flask, and a granite of iron skin or basalt. I should be able to run low tier maps and farm currency before getting any big items, and then move on to the end-game once I have.

Thoughts/Criticism?
Last edited by luckyshin on Sep 2, 2016, 1:26:52 AM
Last bumped on Sep 6, 2016, 1:40:04 AM
Do you think its HC viable?
"
kramurz wrote:
Do you think its HC viable?

Yes, I'm playing HC. Currently level 85. Only done Cruel lab so far, Tier 8 Arachnid Nest is the highest map I've found and it was no problem.

Since I'm about to upgrade gear, for block/spell block, with Rumi's + Lazhwar + Rainbowstride, I figured I should post my current status so far on day 4 of the league. It's worth noting that I will lose some damage when I convert, but I will have 70 block/spell block, and 74/75 with one Reckless Defense jewel.

I've been finding a ton of stuff, and only really utilized essences to craft the chest. I found a Marohi and sold immediately for 26c. I found several other armour items that sold 5-10c. Have had a good amount of chaos and fusings drop, which pulled me through normal + cruel on day 1. Had 1 exalt drop on day 1! Collected as many bauble + chromatic recipe items as I could since day 1.

Gear + Links

Gear Stories/Prices/Explanation

Dagger: Found this one! Low spell dmg craft, but lightning damage for shock. Very happy.

Previous daggers used:
Normal and cruel:

Shield: This was a really lucky buy, I got it for 3 chaos, crafted the #ES and got max of 68% for 303 ES shield. Super happy.

Armour: Bought the base 5L white Vaal Regalia for 18c. Wasted 150 alts, 5 regal, 3 chaos, 1 shrieking and finally the second screaming essence of woe landed me the 580 ES chest. ilvl 70, so its not ideal, but I could still reach higher/will try when I get more shrieking essences of woe to burn.

Amulet: This item has a BIG impact. I was only looking for %ES roll and cast speed. Landed one with 30% crit multi, on a Strength base (important) for only 5c. Crafted +20 ES. Right now, this gives me 500 ES for 8.5k ES. I will be sad to leave this behind for Lazhwar, but at least will gain 3% cast speed on a 15% Lazhwar.

Boots: Brinerot Whalers! I didn't think of this when making the build, but they add 2.4k DPS right now. OK/Decent 104 ES, 20 MS, 28 Lightning Resist, and Unaffected by Shocked Ground.. Also sad to leave these for Rainbowstride. Easily 2c or less right now on the market.

Gloves: Had to be an armour base to get 3 red. I've been keeping an armour base in my gear along the way to have the red sockets. I've also been picking up almost every single chromatic recipe item, but still spent about 5c on chromes to color some items.

Rings/Helm/Gloves/Belt: Prioritizing ES on helm, I looked to max my resists while getting ES on my rings, belt, and gloves. I also took a +30 strength node, and still need Strength affixes on BOTH rings AND the belt. With that I am able to ditch the Strength base amulet for the Lazhwar.

Jewels: Found Luminous Hope. Lucky. Purchased magic 12 crit multi/8% ES for 2c. Regal for 8% damage. Lucky. Purchased 10% Energy From Within for 8c.

Flasks: Purchased Atziri unidentifed for 8c on day 2 - as fast as possible. Adds over 8k tooltip damage.

Running Diamond+Silver also for damage, Basalt+Granite for defense. Granite get's replaced by Rumi's, Silver gets replaced by Taste of Hate or Vessel of Vinktar or Witchfire Brew.

Experimenter's mod on all - my flasks are always up, just with Veteran Bowyer, and Primal Spirit (ranger mana node) gives 20% more charges as well. They last long enough for me to kill bosses so far without Master Surgeon.
For suffixes, I have Staunching, Heat, Warding, and Grounding. The most important four. Ultimately drop Heat, Grounding, and possible Warding as well after I run uber lab and get more unique flasks

Choices & the affected effectivity!

From the original guide, of course I have had to gear differently because of league start leveling. However, I have also made some changes to the auras and links.

I'm running just Warlords blasphemy and Discipline. I have enough mana to run Herald of Ass, but I dropped it and put Inc. AOE on the warlords. Nicer to have a bigger distance for leeching. I consider dropping Faster Proj for Pierce, it will have less range but will hit more targets in the back of the cone and have more damage. Faster Proj is sort of the safer choice, allowing longer range.

CI SWITCH!: I did this earlier than expected, and it was great. before even getting Energy From Within. I did it at about level 73 with 5.5-6k ES. Before switching I took ONLY the 3 life nodes in the Shadow area, and went for ES gear with + life. I ran around with 1.7-2k HP depending on gear, and an ES pool that grew to what it is now. I ran one Seething life and one Panicked HYBRID flask. A mana flask is great for bosses and tough rares when leveling, but a hybrid saves you the slot.

Blade Vortex + PCoC is awesome! It's like adding a support to whirling blades. With just one BV, maybe two for good measure, you WB into a pack and back out real quickly, like you would normally do to gain Fortify. Gains max charges almost every time. I changed the 4 link to utilize Increased Crit Strikes and Increased Duration.

Part of the reason I wanted to go Stone of Lazhwar was because it's one of the easiest amulets to find with +1 curse for a reasonable price. There are already hundreds of them in the league, none with +1 curse available yet though. I still think it's realistic and I will inevitably get one and start running Vulnerability. I want to try Witchfire Brew at least as a temporary replacement, can't report on it til I try it.

To flip my gems, I spent 2-3c ea on level 17-19 Ethereal Knives, Faster Projectiles, Spell Echo, and Blasphemy. So when my originals hit level 20, I'm gonna flip them and use the ones I bought as a replacement. It's not a lot, but 20% proj speed, 10% cast speed, 10% spell damage, 10% curse effect. I believe they are the best gems to quality.

Also I just recently discovered - Use a Haku's prefix item in the alt weapon slot, it adds 3-6% quality to gems. I've got an 11% Enlighten almost at level 2. Soon I will buy a quality'd Empower to level.

Stats:

8553 ES. 58% PDR from basalt+granite.

Tooltip DPS
Hideout: 38,112
Flasked: 53,327 (with only 40% inc effect from Alchemist and 2 ascendencies so far)
Flasked + 4 power charges: 61,357

Diamond Flask doesn't get added to tooltip. 43.86% chance to crit becomes roughly 70% chance. The 5% chance to crit I get from my shield adds roughly 5000 dps. It's safe to say that damage is actually 80-100k after diamond flask.

reflect rares: No issue really, if it's out of leech range you will notice the damage from Phys reflect, but no chance of one shotting yourself.
reflect maps: I don't fuck w/ it in HC

I'm missing lots of stuff - unique flasks, Vulnerability, Ming's Heart, 6L/Empower, quality on gems. And the phys/chaos damage nodes at Shadow. Once I'm richer, I could gain a good amount of damage from better gear. A better dagger will come first. Things like 10% phys added as fire esssence on a ring, or more Crit multi on rings, a Rustic Sash base, perhaps Facebreakers or some other essence-crafted gloves.

Last edited by luckyshin on Sep 6, 2016, 2:31:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info