My Own PoE music + The "layered"-effect idéa

Hi, I make music to games - although I don't have a contract atm...

So, instead of doing something that generates money, I put my spare time on making tunes that would fit into different games...

Now I need YOUR OPINION on the PoE vids in my game-music playlist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5X7ozJr8Kg&index=1&list=PLAA5sUB_xrZrZHzbdUbaUhaaVEcwd_Pi0

It would mean a lot to me if someone who plays the game a lot would come with their thoughts...

Also, when meeting bosses, you'll hear some of the songs changing. I made different layers (or versions) of the same song so that when actions happens you would feel it through the music as well as the actual gameplay.

I would LOVE some feedback since my IRL connections are truely limited. (Not enough nerds)

peace
Last bumped on Sep 4, 2016, 10:44:04 PM
Coming from someone who listens to a lot of game music content (instrumental music in general), I love the idea you demonstrated where you set the music tone to a 'subtle' desolation-like theme that only began to 'intensify' right when you started to face a boss, all while the transition from the tone being 'subtle' to 'more intense' was seamless, whereupon you then demonstrated a second seamless transition where the 'intense' tone dropped off right after you defeated the boss, and then the 'subtle' tone returned again.

Really. If you were to send in an application to GGG to work alongside their music development team, and let's say they decline(d) your application, GGG should, at the very least, take from what you were trying to demonstrate in your video and implement those 'subtle' to 'intensified' elements between general roaming around in random areas of the game vs. certain boss fights / encounters.

With all the above positive things said in mind, your demonstration, unfortunately, does not come without criticism toward its downside(s). While your general demonstration of 'subtle' to 'more intense' was pinpoint far as transition goes, I believe the game music you produced was good from 0:00 to 2:32 until the overly simplistic 'percussion' and 'new-agey, out-of-place' bass drops kicked in for lack of better way to explain it.

When the boss fight came up when I watched the video, I was like, "Awesome, there is an intense change in tone here" yet the 'intense' tone did not come off intense enough so as to really create that 'Oh $h!t! Stuff's about to go down!' vibe. Alright, perhaps not to that extent for that particular boss in the video, but I believe you can pull off better 'intense' transition themes.

Other than that, you made a really good effort I hope the music developers will acknowledge as well.

TL;DR: Yes, PoE's game music should not sound the same and/or subtle all the time in any area, even when facing certain bosses. There should definitely be more transition from 'La de da de da' roaming around to 'Oh $h!t! Stuff's about to go down!' when facing certain bosses / encounters.

That would make PoE's gameplay experience much, much more immersive.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Sep 2, 2016, 1:09:37 AM
Wow! Man thnx for the insight :) It really makes me happy!

When I asked for a job at GGGthe last time they had just recently hired another musician :)

I guess you write about the Beach(Desert) theme when mentioning the timestamp, right? (There are a few more vids where I test other songs to PoE). And, if talking about 2.32 in the beach tune, thats when the bossfight happen... So you liked the calm version but not the pumped up version - i guess!?
The sounds are - as you say - not in its proper place. I understand what you mean with new-agey ;) It was the easiest way to make a intensified version though... I can definetly make a better version - time is the only issue.

Once again, thnx for the reply - much appriciated!
Last edited by gammis on Sep 2, 2016, 4:52:31 PM
"
gammis wrote:
Wow! Man thnx for the insight :) It really makes me happy!

When I asked for a job at GGG the last time they had just recently hired another musician :)

Pardon my late reply.

Never give up. Keep checking in with GGG from time-to-time, and if that does not work out (worse case scenario), check in with another game company. Just because you are declined once does not always mean you will forever be declined.

"
gammis wrote:
I guess you write about the Beach(Desert) theme when mentioning the timestamp, right? (There are a few more vids where I test other songs to PoE).

Right. The constructive feedback I gave you refers to the Gammis - Beach partaj 1.0 (Path of Exile Gameplay Layered Music test) video you linked in your OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5X7ozJr8Kg&index=1&list=PLAA5sUB_xrZrZHzbdUbaUhaaVEcwd_Pi0

"
gammis wrote:
And, if talking about 2.32 in the beach tune, thats when the bossfight happen... So you liked the calm version but not the pumped up version - i guess!?

That is correct. As said in my original feedback, I liked the music from 0:00 to 2:32.

"
gammis wrote:
The sounds are - as you say - not in its proper place. I understand what you mean with new-agey ;) It was the easiest way to make a intensified version though... I can definetly make a better version - time is the only issue.

I understand. Perhaps you were using the easiest way to produce a 'pumped-up' theme for the sake of demonstration purposes only for how layered music transitions from 'subtle' to more 'intense' when done properly, and you did very well with that.

Time may be a factor when it comes to music and the arts in general, but more so than not, the more care and time put into your work, it will turn out to be some of your best work.

Did you know the 9th most quoted English Writer/Poet Lord Alfred Tennyson spent almost 17 years on his In Memoriam A.H.H. Poem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam_A.H.H. before he finally perfected it the way he truly wanted it? That is just one inspiring example of dedication.

He began writing it as a requiem for his friend Arthur Henry Hallam who died of a cerebral haemorrhage in 1833, and then finished it in 1849.

"
gammis wrote:
Once again, thnx for the reply - much appriciated!

You're welcome! Keep at the work you produce. It will only get better and better : )
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Sep 4, 2016, 10:59:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info