Channeling mechanic?

Anything said about this?

In traditional games, you can get disrupted while "channeling " your skill.

Is it the same here?
Last bumped on Aug 31, 2016, 12:59:39 PM
"
awetZ020 wrote:
Anything said about this?

In traditional games, you can get disrupted while "channeling " your skill.

Is it the same here?

Yup, you'll stop chanelling, if you get stunned, frozen etc.
Patch notes got updated:

"
  • Unlike other skills, which are used once and quickly finish, when you use a channelled skill, it doesn't finish until you release the relevant button/key. You continue performing the same skill.
  • You need to pay mana repeatedly to keep the skill going. The channelled skill's mana cost must be paid again to maintain it with a frequency determined by the cast time. If you can't pay, the skill will end, just as if you'd lifted the button.
  • Dying, being stunned, and other game mechanics that interrupt the use of skills will cause channelling to end as well.
  • Effects which trigger when you use a skill will only trigger when you initially start channelling - regardless of how long you maintain a channelled skill, it's still the same use of the skill. You need to stop channelling if you want to use it again.
    Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
    "
    • Unlike other skills, which are used once and quickly finish, when you use a channelled skill, it doesn't finish until you release the relevant button/key. You continue performing the same skill.

This is how those skills currently work, so it's not a change.
    Also, it is how (almost) every other skill works as well. So I don't know what they mean by 'unlike other skills'. Unless they mean the animation is slightly different.

"
    • You need to pay mana repeatedly to keep the skill going. The channelled skill's mana cost must be paid again to maintain it with a frequency determined by the cast time. If you can't pay, the skill will end, just as if you'd lifted the button.

"
    • Dying, being stunned, and other game mechanics that interrupt the use of skills will cause channelling to end as well.

"
    • Effects which trigger when you use a skill will only trigger when you initially start channelling - regardless of how long you maintain a channelled skill, it's still the same use of the skill. You need to stop channelling if you want to use it again.

Afaik, this is a slight nerf to those skills.
    Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
    http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
    "
    dudiobugtron wrote:
    "

Also, it is how (almost) every other skill works as well. So I don't know what they mean by 'unlike other skills'. Unless they mean the animation is slightly different.

I think, they do this to emphasize the "single chanelling" = "single use" mechanic. Similar to how they write "This is a buff." after lines that are obviously buffs :).
    Yeah, I interpreted that bit the same as PaperRat.
    I also don't think it's really meant to be a big Change (TM) to how these Skills work, but instead just a bit of... tidying up how they work? More from a technical standpoint than a practical one. Additionally, it might be more relevant for the unreleased Channeling Skills, but that doesn't seem too likely to matter.
    Well, I won't be able to use 2 fully charged Flameblasts in a row with my char now (because it will be cancelled after I reach zero mana), unless I will invest much more into mana regen, get more mana or free some reserved mana.

It's clear nerf at least for Flameblast.
    Last edited by SunL4D2 on Aug 31, 2016, 7:22:31 AM
    Wither was a channeling skill like flameblast and incinerate?
    I had that skill always on a totem but i was under the impression that there was no channeling involved.
    Prior to 2.4.0, "Channeling" mostly meant "incompatible with Echo and triggers, special cast animation", which does include Wither. Channeled Spells can be totem'd just fine.

e; I never said Totems knew how to use these Skills :P
    Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 31, 2016, 7:58:40 AM
    "Effects which trigger when you use a skill will only trigger when you initially start channelling - regardless of how long you maintain a channelled skill, it's still the same use of the skill. You need to stop channelling if you want to use it again."

What effects of importance are we talking about?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info