WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem

I gotta give it to wolcen, i start to think it will be a good game again. It strikes me that a lot of what we attack them for, is actually them doing it right. Let me explain.

There has been so much attacking them over their pace, over redoing things over and over again and i also felt this at a time. But tonight i had a different thought.

When i first started playing it, i had some issues i'll admit to that, also didn't like their models etc. There were lots of things, also engine things. In my heart i had the feeling like most other games, you see these weaknesses and you know games never get redone so they are just gonna be inbuilt in the game and that's that, that's what we are used to in games.

I remember i sent them an email and wrote on their forums urging them to work on some major problems, speaking about the potential wasted if they just let it be a whatever project. But like most forums including poe thought I it was never gonna happen, well it has occurred to me they have been doing exactly that. It seems they started building a game, and then learned that what they had build wasn't up to par, as well as they increased their ambition for the game.

So they rebuilt it. You look at what they are putting out this deep in terms of polish and quality, this is not something you do if you are doing a half-assed project, it seems to be what you are doing when you want to make sure you don't build a house on a weak foundation because you want the house to last a long time. It seems to be something you are doing when you invest your future in it and care about quality over quantity.

All these things they are doing, it has the pattern of someone that wants to get it right the first time they release it, and upon realizing this, i again look forward to what it will eventually turn out to be.

Either way whatever comes out at the end, i will enjoy it for the qualities it will have, instead of being sad it wasn't perfect for me. I feel that's a perspective that has served me well in recent years.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 26, 2019, 3:24:30 PM
Haha, maybe i am living in a dreamworld. Holding out waiting for finished game don't wanna start it in beta. Still, signs are there that they are not afraid to take their time to do it right.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Won't lie. I'm waiting for them to figure out how to get the game to load in under 3 minutes because my god it feels like forever from character selection to actual gameplay.

This is the one complaint I have right now.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
The system they got is modular like PoE's. Skills are itemized, the skill tree can be redone, or extra rings added to it, etc. They got a winning system, if it's executed properly.

One thing they should do, and I recommended this to the devs, is to give each skill some slots to put gems into, gems that can roll random modifiers. For example, "burning enemies are inflicted with weakness", % chance to Pierce targets with arrows, etc.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 2, 2019, 10:34:49 AM
4:03 to load today.
Still annoyed by this, but let us press on with a bow character.
And it has crashed 3 times...<sigh>
Last edited by DoubleU on Sep 1, 2019, 1:26:50 PM
Good points all.
It has been a long ride (wait) but so far so good.
I bet they do make the 2020 release date.
I doubt they will stick to the release date. In fact, I would bet they won't. Where the game is now vs. where it needs to be for full release is just not realistic. You are talking about cramming in a lot of work in just 5 months.

Even a normal, hard working dev team (which they are not) could not get that much done in so short a time.

Realistically I think we are talking about a year. Probably more.

Christmas 2020 maybe?
Censored.
Act 1 should be broken up into 2 parts it is long.
Still failing to solve "The Riddle of Melee" 4.0 HYPE!!!
SILLY BITCH...THE EAGLES ARE COMING!!!
THE EAGLES!!! (bleeds out from a wound to the gut)
the eagles...are...coming...(coughs)...the eagles...
Sooooo. I bought this game. After reading a lot about it and with the release announcement i decided to give it a try. It is too early for a real feedback, but:

can we talk about the bombastic, goosebumpy music of this game? Awesome. It sucked me right into the game. Felt great. The rest: we'll see. I have a feeling that TD won't hold me long here in POE (what a mess). So Wolcen will get more time.

And yeah: thanks charan for the things you wrote about this game. I was very sceptical (and vocal about it) at first. But i think this could become something good.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Still, for a one-time entry fee that's lower than most PoE support packs and covers all updates up to and after release, you're almost certain to get your money's worth.

Absolutely. Looking forward to playing more. What i already like: It's no joke. Hard sometimes. Especially when playing melee (what never seems to be a wise decision in any ARPG).
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info