Choosing to not Complete Maps on the Atlas

We've been reading a lot of feedback about the Atlas and wanted to briefly address the concerns around players being able to choose which areas they unlock to influence what maps drop of a certain tier.

The ability for players to choose what maps they play is an important (and positive!) aspect of the Atlas system. Everyone has their own preferences for maps, and we want there to be some choices about whether to unlock everything or leave a few maps disabled in order to maximise your own goals.

Having said that, we wanted to address two important points that will hopefully mitigate concerns that players have.

Map Balance
Historically, some maps have been better than others in different ways. Some have had more linear or more open layouts and some have had easier signature monsters or bosses that are safer to kill. A lot of work has gone into balancing this out so that maps are more comparable. In some cases, additional monsters have been added (hence increasing item drops including maps) to mitigate the additional time or challenge that certain maps entail.

We will continue to work on improving this balance, even after release. Our goal is that the choice of whether to leave certain maps locked is a very debated one within the community and there's no clearly right answer.

Respeccing Decisions
We believe that the correct and dominant strategy will be for players to unlock all maps, but since players are afraid that they'll damage their account permanently if they unlock the wrong maps, we have decided to add a way to respec map completions on the Atlas. Three currency items (one for each colour of maps) will be available from vendor recipes for this purpose. They'll likely be measured in Cartographer's Sextants of the appropriate colours and won't be trivially cheap.

Thanks again for the feedback. We're really looking forward to seeing what you think next week when Atlas of Worlds and the Essence Challenge League launch!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last bumped on Mar 31, 2022, 11:05:41 AM
hello everyone i love atlas and this post makes me happy
Last edited by iorganic on Aug 24, 2016, 9:27:14 PM
yeah babyyyyy
Bravo! So hyped for AoW!!!!
Interesting. =)
Nice.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
GG expansion now perfect
This is great for those that were worried about their decisions, good work listening to the community GGG! For me tho, nothing changes, I love the way the expansion works and I'm hyped up for unlocking every single map!
What about Shaper orbs not letting you find the original version of the map you augmented?

I am worried that if I upgrade my favorite maps up 5 tiers I'll never find the easier versions of them ever again, because the original tier of these maps wouldn't drop for me anymore.

Sometimes I like to play easier maps, but if I upgrade all my favorites, then I'll be playing maps that I don't like during those easier sessions.
The solution of normalizing the maps is good, but it's also pretty volatile. It's probably important that you keep an eye on that going forward. Having a base pack size or walkable area (effective packsize) bonus on certain maps is nice, but it also works as a multiplier to currency investment. At the high end of mapping, that can be a meaningful difference, especially if it becomes harder to sustain maps in the future and maps per map becomes more important than XP/hr. I'd be loathe to see mapping effectively go back to the area + packsize mod system of 1.0.

What I think would be a better solution is just to add reverse Shaper's Orbs that actively and reversibly block a map from dropping, even when running an adjacent map, but to only award those deshaper orbs as a completion bonus for doing every map in the tier. (And potentially locking the increased map drops behind the same event, so that you have to take the good with the bad anyway.)
Last edited by Uvne on Aug 24, 2016, 9:41:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info