[2.4] Quad frostbolt totem - theorycraft - discontinued

Hi all,

Firstly, just want to say Im sorry for a very plain guide.
I cant do these fancy guides with color text many pictures and stuff.

With the new league starting soon together with somewhat interesting content being added (fully optional just like ascendancy points) and most importantly new items, I started to think about some builds that may be fun using the new uniques.

One of the new uniques is a snakepit ring, which I hope will bring old cold skills back to meta, but this is not a build using them (but very well may be).
This is an idea to use:

snakepit rings , details can be found here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1713798 in both slots

and

as core 3 uniques in the build.

Of course as an alternative I also consider these:

Spoiler

and

the build would use frostbolt totems, 4 of them to deal huge aoe damage in all direction with balls moving much faster then you may expect ;)

Version 1 of the build - crit:

Spoiler

The crit tree

the jewel slots I picked up would be used to gain proj speed with gem like these for example:
http://poe.trade/search/oyokiderumosim, of course these are just a backbone of a good jewel and good rolled ones should be regal hoping for some great outcome.

as in this build we would not take the Sanctuary of Thought, mana management may be a big issue. the obvious solution would be to run clarity. Sadly a max lvl clarity would reserve close to 300 mana, leaving us not much space for other things, especially with the lesser MoM version from Divine Guidance (10% of dmg taken from mana).

can of course solve that problem at cost of -1 projectile. additionally this would make clarity a lvl max 22 or 23 level (with corruption)

To compensate this as well as help with mana management even further we could not reseve any mana for other auras/herlads and run Clear Mind Jewel

if you are a projectile bitch like me. you may want to consider:

Gem setup:
Spell totem - frostbolt - cold pen - faster casting - controlled destruction - increase crit chance (of course this is my setup, feel free to swap gems around to your liking)

Clarity lvl 20 - in essence worm ring
cdwt (lvl 5-8) - immortal call - increase duration // I feel that leveling it pass the lvl 8 will not proc it so often, but of course you may depending on the life and defenses

version 2 of the build - a non crit:
Spoiler

after trying a low lvl 6L setup on a tabula i noticed the crazy mana cost per totem, the non crit route takes divine guidance and Sanctuary of thought will allow for much smoother gameplay. While still keeping both snakepit rings in the game.

the jewel slots I picked up would be used to gain proj speed with gem like these for example:
http://poe.trade/search/oyokiderumosim, of course these are just a backbone of a good jewel and good rolled ones should be regal hoping for some great outcome

gem setup:
spell totem - frostbolt - faster casting - added cold damage - cold pen - ??? (ele focus/controlled destruction)

cdwt (lvl 5-8) - immortal call - increase duration // I feel that leveling it pass the lvl 8 will not proc it so often, but of course you may depending on the life and defences

herald of ice
lvl 10(ish) clarity

Let me know what you guys think

cheers

YES I support the game, NO I don't agree with many GGG decisions

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
Last edited by Miazga on Sep 1, 2016, 4:12:25 AM
Last bumped on Sep 1, 2016, 4:10:54 AM
Looks like a pretty cool build. I was thinking of playing a totem build, which I haven't done in a long time. Also I haven't tried Frost Bolt nor the Sire of Shards so this build is perfect for me :)

Thanks for sharing.
"
letteralex wrote:
Looks like a pretty cool build. I was thinking of playing a totem build, which I haven't done in a long time. Also I haven't tried Frost Bolt nor the Sire of Shards so this build is perfect for me :)

Thanks for sharing.

your welcome. I hope you will get some totem action soon :)

sire of shards staff makes for some very spectacular totem action and it does change the way you play totem builds (U want to drop totems in a pack not in front of it).
I've done some ball lightning sire of shards build in the past and it was interesting to say at least ;)

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
"
gem setup:
spell totem - frostbolt - faster casting - added cold damage - cold pen - ???

Aren't you gonna want gmp?
can a bitch get her hat back
"
MissApril wrote:
"
gem setup:
spell totem - frostbolt - faster casting - added cold damage - cold pen - ???

Aren't you gonna want gmp?

no GMP at least with sire of shards.
this is due to it +4 projectiles from the weapon and another +2 from the rings.

If I would end up using one of the other 2 staffs, either realm ender or taryn's shiver i would use a lmp (as you still get +2 proj from rings)

I decided to test this build without the rings (to compensate for the loss I will use the +2 proj unique jewel) and got myself a shire of shards:

sadly it was corrupted when i got it so will test:
spell totem - frostbolt - cold pen - faster casting - elemental focus - controlled destruction (maybe, as i feel that going non crit could be better end game, for consistent damage)

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
Last edited by Miazga on Aug 25, 2016, 3:17:13 AM
Definitely going to try a build based upon this. I am wanting a freeze everything build so I guess its the crit route for me.

My gem links:
Staff: Spell totem - Frostbolt - GMP - Faster casting - Cold Penetration (or Ice Bite) - Increased Crit Chance

Chest: CWDT - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Molten Shell - Vaal Lightning Trap (or Vaal COld Snap)

Movement: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Fortify - Knockback (or Endurance Charge on Melee Stun)

Auras - Blashpemy - Frostbite - Elemental Weakness - Herald of Ice

Utility - Ice Golem - Increased Duration - Vaal Haste - Vaal Grace

It seems to me like I am missing something obvious, but I cannot put my finger on it.

This is definitely a SC build.

Cheers,
Thanks for this post, I'm gonna follow along as well and try this out on Friday. I was looking at patch notes and notice this:

Ice Spear: 70% more damage.

So it seems like a good time to try it out.

I can say I really don't like that sire of shards because it sends out projectiles in a "nova" pattern which is pretty much all directions. I would much prefer a GMP and more focused on the enemy.

So here is a rough draft of the skills I was thinking of pursuing. Really new to this though so comments most welcome.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAAOaBAcEUQSzBqAJqgthDXwQWBDMES0fAij6KU8qEysmLJwyNDLRNZI2xToWPC1Bh0GWRKFFR0yzV8lY5VorXl1khGaeaFpo8m6qcWJ1KnsgfIOCm4LHg1-DzIPzhoKLjIx2lQSaO548ogCj8qeUrhKus69sr5u18rcxtz7AZsCaxq7Q9dH92L3Z_OFz6-7sOPAf-JP5vfnd-ej-Cv6H

"
Deathcrickety wrote:
Thanks for this post, I'm gonna follow along as well and try this out on Friday. I was looking at patch notes and notice this:

Ice Spear: 70% more damage.

So it seems like a good time to try it out.

I can say I really don't like that sire of shards because it sends out projectiles in a "nova" pattern which is pretty much all directions. I would much prefer a GMP and more focused on the enemy.

So here is a rough draft of the skills I was thinking of pursuing. Really new to this though so comments most welcome.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAAOaBAcEUQSzBqAJqgthDXwQWBDMES0fAij6KU8qEysmLJwyNDLRNZI2xToWPC1Bh0GWRKFFR0yzV8lY5VorXl1khGaeaFpo8m6qcWJ1KnsgfIOCm4LHg1-DzIPzhoKLjIx2lQSaO548ogCj8qeUrhKus69sr5u18rcxtz7AZsCaxq7Q9dH92L3Z_OFz6-7sOPAf-JP5vfnd-ej-Cv6H

Hi Im glad you are interested. few thinks I would like to point out:
- the tree you linked is ok, but it does miss life and mana regen (which you will need cause these totems are not cheap)
- as you are going crit on the tree, I would suggest to not go for quad totems. after doing some testing the 8% less damage per totem, hurts a lot. you could be better of with 2/3 totems (3 totems can be achieve with the unique chest - soul mantle)
- sire of shards is only good for some spell not all of them. with the massive ice spear buff it would be better to use lmp/gmp with totems.

here is your tree with few nip and tucks from me:

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info