[2.4] WI/Support Guardian

Introduction:
This is a guardian build I made to try to balance defensive buffs (for me and the group) along with being able to do OK damage. This mainly came about from running Uber Lab and having my dps bail on some of the more difficult traps with my full support Guardian. Finishing off the lab run solo was painfully slow but let me keep from losing offerings. I have also always wanted an armor/es based character and I am really liking 36k armor with 8.5k es. It feels very safe.

I decided to use Whispering Ice staff/skill after noticing on my original support guardian I had ended up with 500 int without trying.

I have ran up to T12 maps solo and believe I could do higher fairly easily, was able to run Atizi solo, and Uber Lab solo.

What is was not able to handle was getting a Ash Lessard Fire Trap that crit while stuck in a Bear Trap in Poor Joys. Died @ 91, second guardian is alive and at lvl 91 again.

Current H/O Stats:
Spoiler

The dmg may look low but 3 of the supports do not show on tool tip and do increase dmg. Using a firestorm calculator, the sustained casting DPS is at ~130k after 5.6s. At this dps reflect is starting to hurt a bit and without leech/Ghost Reaver we depend on our res and regen, because of this one flask should be a Sapphire to help knock down the reflect dmg. Putting only one stack of Ice Storm will also help, but is slower.

Auras:
Spoiler

Purity of Ice, Fire, Lightning, Clarity, Discipline, Grace, and Determination.

Gems
Spoiler

WI - Cold Pen, Faster Casting, Spell Echo, Increased Duration, Conc Effect, and Hypothermia

Other possibilities are Controlled Destruction and Elemental Focus. Both would probably be more dmg but for CD I stayed away to proc Ele Overload more and EF because I like the freeze provided by Hypothermia.

Alpha's Howl - Purity of Ice, Grace, Discipline, Purity of choice
3L+S - Lvl 16 Blood Magic, Determination, last Purity + Clarity
4L - Lighting Warp, Less Duration, Rapid Decay, Faster Casting
Shavs - Util

The utility gems I have are: Enduring Cry, Decoy Totem, Chaos/Stone Golem, Vaal Discipline. As my shavs is a corrupt one I only have 4 sockets at the moment.

Gear:
Spoiler

As this is a WI build int on gear is very important for damage and defense.

Shav's is a luxury and not 100% needed but it does provide ~2k ES over Solaris Lorica. I would say SL is fine up to ~T9 maps and the Uber Lab (with smart paly, with Shav's you can pretty much face tank non ele-buffed Izaro most of the time).

On weapon switch I have a RotP for extra fire res to ignore fire traps in the lab.

Jewels
Spoiler

The 3 on the right side of the tree use Brute Force Solution to convert str travel nodes to int
The 1 by Vaal Pact use Fertile Mind to convert dex travel nodes to int
One of the remaining 3 is Conqueror's Efficiency for the Reduced Mana Reserved
Last two are free for rare jewels

Ascendancy Nodes:
Spoiler

This is the order I took them:
Radiant Faith - Big armor and ES Boost around the middle of Cruel
Time of Need - The 30% regen or es every 5 seconds really helps
Unwavering Faith - Nice regen and phy dmg reduction
Harmony of Purpose - I went with this but any of the others are fine also depending on play style

Tree:

Bandits
Spoiler

I killed all but any of the normal ones could be beneficial

Couple Videos
Spoiler

Plateau
Totems, TC, 80 Fire Res, Poison, 98% extra damage as fire
W\Trial
https://www.twitch.tv/masterscooby_/v/93643759
Poor Joy
https://www.twitch.tv/masterscooby_/v/93650844
Last edited by MasterScooby on Oct 8, 2016, 1:16:47 AM
Last bumped on Oct 8, 2016, 1:34:47 AM
Any key changes to this build now that the 2.4 patch notes are out?
Made a small change to pick up some AoE nodes but that would be in the late 90's that I will probably never get to so not actually updating anything yet.

I will say I never had leveled with this build in 2.3, I respec'ed into it from a different guardian build.

Leveling is very hard if you do not have WI staff and Astramentis. It took getting to lvl 80 (when I finally got Alpha's and IR) before it started to feeling safe and could solo outside of lake.

Crafting good gloves and belt seems to be possible though now with Essences though, using these currently and pretty happy.

Current stats are:
48k Armor
81 AR
9.8k ES now with Shavs
~114k Ice Storm dmg @ just over 1.1k int

T14 is as highest map so far, also done a 3 player Vinktar Square carry solo, and 30+ uber lab solo so far.

I would say this build is very hard to lvl and will probably not start with it in a league again, very gear dependent.
Around lvl 80, with big armor boost from IR and Grace, it starts feeling better.

Rest of current gear is:
Last edited by MasterScooby on Sep 26, 2016, 12:31:39 PM
Hey dude trying out this build since I love Guardian, Whispering Ice and also really wanted an ES/Armour character. Just made it to dried lake in merc, still life based saving up for Shavaroneys... 500 c in EHC atm.. probably chance one before I can afford it :D Gotta have goals to aim for though right?

Just starting to get the aura nodes after I pretty much finished all the main travelling in the tree. Will prob switch to Alphas once I go Low Life. Using Iron Will as 6th support currently as it has no extra mana cost and I've got a decent amount of strength. Dat Prismatic Ring is getting % ES crafted on it as well, hopefully I can use it. Might spec dual curse in the tree as well.
Last edited by dandan88 on Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:30 AM
Played with this guy. He face tanks everything now....Very gg build if you have the patience to make it work.
Interested in this build, haven't played in 1.5-2 years.

I want to start on Essence Standard, I assume this is fine for this build?

Is this build currency reliant?

How about leveling?

Thanks!
Essence Standard is fine for this build for sure, have used it the last two HC leagues.

The build is very currency reliant, quite a few uniques that can be expensive but I really dont know the Essence market much. Looks like Shav's is 460c and Astramentis is about 50c in Essence.

Leveling depends on what you have to start, if you can get a 6soc WI Staff and Astramentis then lvling is not too bad but I was not comfortable in maps till around lvl 80 and lvl 91 is when I consider the build complete and the rest of the points just bonus. As I said above I doubt I will do this build again for a first one in a league it is just hard to get all the items you need right away.
Hey,

i really like your build. I dont have played it yet but i bet its very safe.
Thats what i am looking for. I am only scared that there is a lack of dmg, isn't it?

Can u maybe record a short video of a random >T5 Map run ?

Thanks and a Great day
Gerry
I will try to get a video together tonight.

But I can say the dmg is decent, if I can cast at one spot for 5.6 sec the dmg will hit 114k/sec. This is fairly easy with decoy totem but for fleeing mobs can be slower.

While waiting for the video I can leave this here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/labyrinth/Hardcore%20Essence/4/1475366400

I was 18th overall, 1st Guardian, out of 323 people that did lab on that popular 5 key day (and I did get all 5 possible keys that run (Argus, Silver Key box, and fully buffed Izaro).
Loving the build so far Would you mind giving a small more info on the leveling part.
I am currently lvl 48 and dont really know where to start at the skill tree are there some key notes you gonna rush for?
And which flask are you using for your late game im trying to save up for a Shavronne.
Dmg like is fine i got 6 socket Whispering Ice right now have some small problems with chaos dmg i only have 1,3k hp right now.
Thanks in Advance

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info