The Importance of Chaos Resistance (Hardcore)

Dear community

I'm a Hardcore POE player and I've been quite interested in knowing exactly how important is Chaos Resistance? For my self I usually play it safe and cap my resistances with my Chaos Resistance being at least 20-40%+. Is this truly enough resistance to avoid being 100-0'd from Chaos based enemies?
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2016, 6:19:57 AM
There aren't that many chaos-using enemies around; as long as you know in advance who theya re then you should be OK. In the pale court, for eg, you might want more than 20% chaos resistance.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
It hasn't been that important for me. Usually one good chaos res roll on any piece of equipment is enough, unless you're planning to do something specific that has heavy chaos damage. IMO it's much more important to have ele resists elemental weakness capped.
"
Dear community

I'm a Hardcore POE player and I've been quite interested in knowing exactly how important is Chaos Resistance? For my self I usually play it safe and cap my resistances with my Chaos Resistance being at least 20-40%+. Is this truly enough resistance to avoid being 100-0'd from Chaos based enemies?

It's important aganst certain bosses (most of which can and should be skipped - like Village Ruin or Core bosses or Hall of Grandmasters). Against certain mobs summoned by Catarina or Tora. Against gas clouds, summoned by lockboxes (but you wont stand into those, right?).
Most of Chaos damage is DoT. So, if your character has regen, it's even more negligible.
Just skip hard (and unrewarding) content with chaos damage, have some care about master missins and lockboxes - and you may skip chaos resistance.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Depending on your life total and avoidance stats, in can be less or more important. If you play with 3k life 7k ES for example, you need high positive chaos res. If you play with very high life and evasion/block, you can easily get away with negative numbers. You can always swap some gear around for specific bosses as others have alraedy mentioned.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info