Possible Item RNG bug?

I just got both of these items, at the same time, from ambrius.

Yes, if you look closely, they're two different items. But their sockets are identical and their rolls only have a difference of 1% in one number. And considering the ordering of that number, it looks like literally only the lowest-order bit differs between the two items. It's also worth noting that on zooming in, the items had dropped basically on top of each other, not on noticeably different points around ambrius's body (and were listed adjacently in the loot explosion)

I realize that sometimes weird coincidences happen, but this seems a bit extreme. I think the RNG might be very slightly bugged in some cases?

For the record, colosseum map, 118 quantity, 46 rarity, 14 pack size. Mods were ele weak, monsters cannot get ele status, monsters get more/bigger crits (392/44), extra cold damage (92), unique boss gets 35% increased damage and 30% increased attack speed. Zana mod was raw +7

The only thing I can't tell you is where your RNG seed was ;) But this, like, just happened.
Last edited by codetaku on Jul 22, 2016, 9:16:48 AM
Last bumped on Jul 26, 2016, 3:52:44 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Wow. That's some mental RNG if it was just RNG.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
Wow. That's some mental RNG if it was just RNG.

And I'm totally open to the possibility that it *was* just RNG, but I figured I should report it in case GGG can discover that it wasn't.
I had this happen with that Ambru chest or whatever its name is but yeah i had 2 of those drop from the same map boss this league. guess its just RNG.

Edit:
This thing but yeah both of them got spent on that 5 for 1 prophecy. Pretty sure they had the same sockets and colors as well not sure about the rolls or whatever but yeah.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Jul 25, 2016, 6:31:40 PM
"
Demonoz wrote:
I had this happen with that Ambru chest or whatever its name is but yeah i had 2 of those drop from the same map boss this league. guess its just RNG.

Edit:
This thing but yeah both of them got spent on that 5 for 1 prophecy. Pretty sure they had the same sockets and colors as well not sure about the rolls or whatever but yeah.

Actually, reporting more of these instances makes it much less likely to be just RNG. The fact that you think the same thing happened to you makes me think it's more likely that GGG should be looking into the potential of this happening. These bit strings are nontrivial in size--having them replicated adjacently multiple times in a league seems frankly bizarre, especially among just forum users.
Last edited by codetaku on Jul 26, 2016, 3:38:08 PM
It could still be rng but using close to the same random number for both items. Both items drop at same time the check between 1 random number and the next is is so close together the number is the same or similar. I'm sure it's a complicated algorithm to simulate randomness but if one component is timestamp, both drops would have almost the same timestamp.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
It could still be rng but using close to the same random number for both items. Both items drop at same time the check between 1 random number and the next is is so close together the number is the same or similar.

There's no way they'd do that *intentionally*? Even if they use multithreading to pull the same bit string from an un-locked read-only entropy pool that sounds like a bug.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info