Stacked Deck

"
Manator wrote:
Just another rip off, nothing more nothing less. What do you expected from GGG? The whole divination card thing is a massive joke just to milk extra money from naive players. Since introducing I traded several useless 1 alch worth uniques, a few dozen maybe random currency, bunch of 79 lvl jewelry, all vendor crap and tons of ID scrolls - at least some use here. Rest collecting dust in stash, no point or initiative to finish them with such ridiculous drop restrictions. Div cards should drop anywhere or gtfo. Adjust drop rates if necessary, but let them drop anywhere, period. You don't restrict exalt or mirror drops then why the fuck is this shit?
Soo much from devs for generous player support, pathetic.

You obviously don't understand why they were created. And your suggestion would completely destroy that reason.

Before they existed, if you wanted a specific unique there was absolutely nothing you could do to increase your chance of finding one. Because they are all just random drops that could come anywhere.

But with a div card for a specific unique that can only drop in certain locations you now have way of going after a specific item by farming the specific zone the card drops in.

But if you got your way and the cards dropped everywhere, your chance of finding a specific card for the specific unique you are after would plummet as every zone is saturated will all card types dropping.

In summary: Thanks for the horrible suggestion that would make things far worse.
"
Qiox wrote:
"
Manator wrote:
Just another rip off, nothing more nothing less. What do you expected from GGG? The whole divination card thing is a massive joke just to milk extra money from naive players. Since introducing I traded several useless 1 alch worth uniques, a few dozen maybe random currency, bunch of 79 lvl jewelry, all vendor crap and tons of ID scrolls - at least some use here. Rest collecting dust in stash, no point or initiative to finish them with such ridiculous drop restrictions. Div cards should drop anywhere or gtfo. Adjust drop rates if necessary, but let them drop anywhere, period. You don't restrict exalt or mirror drops then why the fuck is this shit?

You obviously don't understand why they were created. And your suggestion would completely destroy that reason.

Before they existed, if you wanted a specific unique there was absolutely nothing you could do to increase your chance of finding one. Because they are all just random drops that could come anywhere.

But with a div card for a specific unique that can only drop in certain locations you now have way of going after a specific item by farming the specific zone the card drops in.

But if you got your way and the cards dropped everywhere, your chance of finding a specific card for the specific unique you are after would plummet as every zone is saturated will all card types dropping.

In summary: Thanks for the horrible suggestion that would make things far worse.

Of course I don't understand why should I?
Your description works very well on paper, but in reality it is shit. People don't farm for specific unique, they go on trade site and buy. The only exception are uber rare cards (Voll's, Headhunter, etc.) but good luck to farm them. To illustrate how fucking awesome your described system works, I've leveled 3 characters over 90 lvl and still haven't completed Tabula deck but in meanwhile I've found two of them as random drops.

Seriously, what particular item you've farmed by yourself on purpose, just out of curiosity?

GGG created carrot on a stick (what else they can do). They made useless shit cards easy obtainable, but anything that could be potentially useful and farmable have ridiculous drop rates.
Bullshit makes the flowers grow
"
Qiox wrote:
"
Manator wrote:

BS, sorry.

They were created for 2 main reasons.

1. As a fund raiser.
2. As an economy stimulant. As you progress through the acts and maps, you will find cards. Some might be a single really rare card of a deck and you will throw them up on poe.trade, some might prompt you to complete from poe.trade, others will sit in your stash and passively complete, Gambler etc. You probably want another stash tab for them, see 1.

Now, they were said to be deterministic farming, but that was never going to happen.

There are few exceptions (very fucking few), as a pro-trader or as SSF, or anywhere between, where actually 'deterministically' farming a card is even close to worth it.

No one, I mean absolutely no one (after maybe a first try) will farm this div card, the drop rate and opportunity cost are outrageous, there simply can't be a case for any player of any play style to farm this.

It would make perfect sense from the perspective of deterministic farming, that cards (and their products) cannot be traded.

Drop rates could be adjusted to suit.

All cards double as Gambler cards, hand in 5 cards you don't want for a random card.
But GGG design first and foremost, always, as an economy stimulant. This has the adverse effect that any other purpose suffers badly.

The Lab is another example.

Content that a great majority of players will enjoy but doesn't stimulate the economy will not happen.

Content that few players will enjoy but stimulates the economy, even if in no other way than people paying for a carry through it (but the lab has other economical implications), typical GGG design.

Carry these words with you 'GGG design first and foremost, always, as an economy stimulant' and many questions you would normally ask yourself are answered.

Why do div cards suck badly as a deterministic farming method? [apply above words]

Go ahead, ask yourself those PoE questions that there never seemed to be an answer for. It works for them all.

Remember this for September when you are asking yourself why the endgame stuff you got so hyped about is what it is and you feel so let down, and apply those words.

Actually, don't get hyped, it works wonders.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jul 22, 2016, 3:27:04 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

BS, sorry.

1. As a fund raiser.
2. As an economy stimulant. As you progress through the acts and maps, you will find cards. Some might be a single really rare card of a deck and you will throw them up on poe.trade, some might prompt you to complete from poe.trade, others will sit in your stash and passively complete, Gambler etc. You probably want another stash tab for them, see 1.

Now, they were said to be deterministic farming, but that was never going to happen.

There are few exceptions (very fucking few), as a pro-trader or as SSF, or anywhere between, where actually 'deterministically' farming a card is even close to worth it.

No one, I mean absolutely no one (after maybe a first try) will farm this div card, the drop rate and opportunity cost are outrageous, there simply can't be a case for any player of any play style to farm this.

It would make perfect sense from the perspective of deterministic farming, that cards (and their products) cannot be traded.

All cards double as Gambler cards, hand in 5 cards you don't want for a random card.
But GGG design first and foremost, always, as an economy stimulant. This has the adverse effect that any other purpose suffers badly.

You speak the truth, as always. I was so hyped when the cards first were added, and equally as disappointed when I realized the situation. And I agree with you, from a farmers/self founders perspective, it makes totally sense with cards not being "tradeable".

But, then again, from GGG's point of view, long time lovers of card games, trading is the fundamental truth. Sell what you get, buy what you need.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Fundamental discussions aside it was pretty obvious that the drop rate of this card would be weighed against the players making it absolutely pointless. I feel Canadian for the designer.
Last edited by Bananaplasm on Jul 22, 2016, 3:19:57 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Qiox wrote:
"
Manator wrote:

BS, sorry.

1. As a fund raiser.

The Lab is another example.

Content that a great majority of players will enjoy but doesn't stimulate the economy will not happen.

Content that few players will enjoy but stimulates the economy, even if in no other way than people paying for a carry through it (but the lab has other economical implications), typical GGG design.

Carry these words with you 'GGG design first and foremost, always, as an economy stimulant' and many questions you would normally ask yourself are answered.

Why do div cards suck badly as a deterministic farming method? [apply above words]

Go ahead, ask yourself those PoE questions that there never seemed to be an answer for. It works for them all.

Remember this for September when you are asking yourself why the endgame stuff you got so hyped about is what it is and you feel so let down, and apply those words.

Actually, don't get hyped, it works wonders.

I was ready to type this very same response. I ask any person who claims the cards to be a deterministic farming alternative to tell me how many (good) items they've compiled thanks to any cards they farmed on their own. Six link chest piece? Kaom's Heart? Hell, even Whispering Ice, which has seen a huge decline in price and rise in availability, is nearly unobtainable through solo card farming. The average player is lucky to see one exalt-worthy card in the entire life of a league. You'll make enough currency to buy your item two times over if you try to go solely self-found cards.
It is impressive the amount of animus people will carry for a video game and its developers. Don't you ever have that twinge of shame telling you that this is ridiculous?

On this specific issue, it doesn't help that the last two leagues have flooded the economy with certain uniques, making div cards seem more or less superfluous. I'm not mad at them, though, I just pick them up and stack them up. I figure eventually I'll complete some of the more interesting ones by dumping into standard at the end of each league.
Last edited by genequagmire on Aug 3, 2016, 2:57:23 PM
I would ask "why would you allow this card to be created?", as it breaks what little to no real balance div cards offer.
I guess the answer is "because someone payed for it".
I personally feel that for the div cards, they should up the drop rate and number required by like 10x (except for perhaps the super common cards like "her mask" and such, but thats more to just avoid having those drop every 5 seconds.)

This way you have more stable farming of it, even though it still takes the same total time.

The other day, by example, I got 3 cards back to back which is for the 6l Astral plate. I know this is a very rare card as in about 50 more runs I saw 0.

Id rather have found about 30 of these over 51 runs and be half way there, with more average drop rate, than found 3 in a single run and nothing to mention for the other 50.

Of course, the obvious problem to this is, if cards drop more frequently but you need more, then suddenly everyone is trading cards and creating all the gear too quickly by working together...
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
Last edited by Eternallight on Aug 22, 2016, 6:10:05 PM
wtf, i just put it in my stash, "1/10 of stacked deck" and then i got "1/3 scholar" Divination card.... Is that a bug? :|

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info