Neversink and Hellcat5 - Discussing Neversink's Lootfilter v3.3a

For reference -

NeverSink's LOOTFILTER v3.3a ♦ in-depth ♦ endgame+leveling all-in-one ♦ user-friendly ♦ multiversion

My response to Neversink (I was directed not to post this on neversink's thread.)

"
NeverSink wrote:
"
Hellcat5 wrote:
Thus, I'm working to troubleshoot with those who've experienced undesirable results.

You're not troubleshooting.

By providing people with test scripts for your filter, this is certainly troubleshooting. - to investigate or deal with in the role of troubleshooter

"
NeverSink wrote:

Please stop putting custom versions of the filter here Hellcat. You're cluttering up the thread and I personally do not agree to the changes and statements (several of them are simply wrong). I further have no desire to figure why certain things malfunction for players, while they're really caused by you.

These "custom" versions you mention I posted to github to help people experiencing issues to work with me toward possible short term resolution. They are test filter scripts. Stating something is "simply wrong" without giving a firm premise is logical fallacy. If you're statement goes toward me offering to customize your filter for those who ask - if they ask, I will do it, and I will give them the link. It's very appropriate for that link (and on topic) for me to post that to your filter thread because I'm modifying your filter according to their wishes.

This one gets me the most -

"
NeverSink wrote:
I further have no desire to figure why certain things malfunction for players, while they're really caused by you.

How am I to blame for people experiencing troubles when running your filter script? I've not asked, nor would I ask, for you to take time from whatever you're doing to troubleshoot anything to do with the test versions I've presented. But, maybe what you're really saying is -

"
NeverSink wrote:
I further have no desire to figure why certain things malfunction for players[...]

The truth of the above can be revealed by the number of unanswered requests from people who've made requests for help from you with the filter. Someone mentioned that perhaps you were quick to respond to those who donated to your streaming. (sure, can only do so much with the time you have, so of course donators might take priority) I've answered a few recent requests, and provided direct support in my responses. Let's move on (review inside the spoiler):

"
NeverSink wrote:

Here's a quick list:

Incomplete list of problems
1) There's a reason for the 255 transparency statement. Also for the 0 0 0 borders. No it's not the default setting.
Incomplete list of problems

Again, why aren't you giving a firm premise for stating it's not default? What is the proof? I'll give you proof of my point through code anyone can add in to test with for themselves AND I'll give a video (which supports my premise):

Video Test:
Hellcat5's Filter Test: SetBorderColor 0 0 0 255

For reference:
"
# Show us Uniques with the standard Unique color instead of going from item level
Show
Rarity Unique
SetFontSize 64
PlayAlertSound 3 100

"
# Show us Uniques with the standard Unique color instead of going from item level
Show
Rarity Unique
SetFontSize 64
SetBorderColor 0 0 0 255
PlayAlertSound 3 100

There is no visible with or without SetBorderColor 0 0 0 255, therefore, if there's no change with explicit declaration, it's because it's the default setting. That's how object inheritance works.

"
NeverSink wrote:

2) The comments are there for a reason and you've removed them. They don't affect performance, they're skipped while loading the code into memory. Instead you've just reduced the readability, removed the credits/thanks list and removed optional modules. Also no-one reads readmes.

While many newer computer systems might process the filter script with loads of comments without any sign of performance reduction, we can't say that for all computer systems that are running path of exile. I certainly can't make that statement because I don't know the slowest / oldest pc running path of exile, nor do I know exactly which older video cards might be running it.

While I might have reduced readability with the test script version that has to do with only file size reduction, the refactored version does not remove header sections. From that, I can't agree with your blanketing statement. The readme-neversink.md clearly states what I did, along with ordering the actions and property settings in the same way for each block.

Stating that no one (I do find that interesting that you used no-one) reads readmes is yet another logical fallacy. This time, Sweeping Generalization Fallacy. As a developer, (wink wink) I think it's best to try to avoid all logical fallacies in my thinking that I can, and therefrom strengthen my development logic.

"
NeverSink wrote:

3) You've removed several special cases, that are not redundant, thus reducing the functionality.

I removed commented out (non-active) blocks in two editions of the test filters - size test and refactor 1.0. People can see from the readme-neversink.md exactly what I did in refactor 1.0. To give you a run down on refactoring (you, neversink, might know this, but the readers might not, and I want them to understand) - in first phase refactoring, I apply a broad scope refactor, which could effect some minimal functionality (not showing normal flasks unless you press alt as example). In second phase refactoring, I gather the noted differences and restore whatever minimal lost functionality might have occurred (Short Comparison Video). The third sweep is a thorough proofing.

"
NeverSink wrote:

4) You didn't just try to clean the code, you've changed several functional aspects.

Since I'm getting into phase 2 of the refactor, I'm going to restore any lost functionality during this phase. (will take no longer than 8 hours at most for a very thorough phase 2) From what I can tell from brief testing, only I only affected the leveling functionality.

"
NeverSink wrote:

5) Your changes in the leveling list will cause problems. I agree that the leveling part can be improved, but you just weakened it's functionality.

My phase one refactor will not cause any client malfunctions. It is for testing, as I said clearly.

"
NeverSink wrote:

6) *edited out for now, gotta doublecheck*

I didn't comment that anywhere in the refactor, nor do I find that statement anywhere in the readme-neversink.md file.

"
NeverSink wrote:

7) While I agree to sorting/cleaning the order of colors and have a personal (C#) tool to do it, I don't do it to make update/change comparison easier for the users (until version 4.0, which is nearly ready and will be deployed for 2.4). Yes it looks better this way, but it doesn't help anyone. This is the only point I agree to.

"
NeverSink wrote:

[..]I don't do it to make update/change comparison easier for the users[..]

I'm providing users with the ability to have these useful changes now, instead of when you release your tool. And, perhaps, this discussion might bring refinements to your release. To note, it looks like you agree with more than one point:

"
NeverSink wrote:

[..]I agree that the leveling part can be improved[..]

I must disagree about having a consistent property and action order not helping anyone. If you provide consistency in code, then this provides players who want to make changes to your code the ability to more quickly recognize parts they want to change, and to become more comfortable making those changes. For many players, perhaps, the length of your filter script might intimidate them, and then seeing these inconsistencies might also bring about futher worry about not doing something right. You state in the title of this thread, "user friendly." I'm pointing out things that could make improvements to the code so that it more closely follows that statement.

"
NeverSink wrote:

I also didn't implement every single suggestion for a reason. At this point I have a data collection of different suggestions based of hundreds of inputs. Several things are not implemented because they create problems (such as the "special sounds for exalted orbs/high uniques", check the FAQ on page 1 or the issues on github). I'm working on an node.js tool that will allow customizing such aspects in a user-friendly menu on download (due for 2.4/4.0).

I can make a few changes now to the code to satisfy the user's request. If you're reason is, "I'm taking into account what the majority of people who say something to me want" that's understandable due to time restraints, but it doesn't resolve that player's filter needs (perhaps you're referring to Aias_o_Telamonios). I'm filling that void, and fully capable of working around the potential problems that doing such might generate.

I'm glad to know you're working on a node.js tool to help people in the future. People want to play now, and have specific filter needs, now.

I'll comment further inside the spoiler section:

Rant, tl;dr I found it rude and broken.
"
NeverSink wrote:
I appreciate your help with the test versions, but if you check my Github, you'll see I already have them since ~10 days and distributed them to several users for testing.

You stated on stream about 2 days ago that you've not released those test scripts. I see the upload shows 8 days ago - https://github.com/NeverSinkGaming/NeverSink-Filter/tree/master/ADDITIONAL-FILES/For%20Testing%20Purposes%20Only

"
NeverSink wrote:

You could've suggested changes/pointed out things you didn't like and I'd happily implement them, if they're reasonable. Neither did you ask if it's OK to promote your content here or if the changes are OK. You've assumed.

From feedback from other people, and lack of response from you regarding their questions, I jumped in to lend a hand since I figured you were busy. On page 148 of this thread I state that. I gave your users options to enhance their gaming. I gave examples of how to adjust your script if they prefer that way, and also gave one of mine if they're not comfortable making those changes. I think we must weigh what's useful for community members, and avoid taking constructive criticism as an affront.

I'm not going to ask permission if I can make changes to your filter for your users, or to assist with troubleshooting for your users. While you did create the script from Ghudda's template (I believe you stated that in the thanks somewhere), you cannot profit from having made the filter script as I believe that GGG owns the rights over ALL filter scripts. They wrote the parser as a tool for players to use to enhance their gaming experience. Much like Skyrim modding, you don't own rights for doing that. And, of course, you stated that you would never charge.

You're welcome to post on my filter threads in a non-aggressive, constructive manor, of course.

"
NeverSink wrote:

I'm OK with people creating their own versions of my filter and you're free to host/distribute them, but I don't want people to attempt to hijack my own thread. I didn't find it quite well mannered, when you just started posting here after you've talked down my filter on several different occasions, but now you're also spreading faulty versions, cluttering up the thread with walls of text and promoting your own content.

Saying "I think neversink's filter is ugly" lies in the subjective realm. I could get into my experience as a designer, and who's attention and employment I've gotten from my design skills, but that's not relevant here. Why on earth would you take that as an affront? Some people think my filter is ugly and too bright. That's fine. We have different filters to cover the needs of different players.

My "walls of text" are my thorough responses to people's questions about your filter, and responses generally. I believe if I'm going to respond, I'm going to take time to be thorough. Subjectively, you interpreted some of my response as rude. I'm American. I guess we're known for not intending rudeness, but being rude anyways. I hope you can try a positive view with what i've given to you.

I'm certainly not spreading faulty versions. I've clearly stated that my versions are for testing. Once I finish the third refactor, then I might label it otherwise.

"
NeverSink wrote:

PM me if you disagree/have questions. I don't want to create any additional public drama and I apologize for the necessary harshness. I'll have to report you if this happens again though to clean up this thread. This is the first time I had to intervene in such a case.

I'll certainly not PM you about this specific scenario. Perhaps we can dialogue about other things in the future (i'm certainly open for that) but I believe that people who've read this thus far deserve to read my response to you in a public forum, which this is.

"
NeverSink wrote:

It's hard to stay perfectly objective in such cases and evaluating conflicts is complicated, so if anyone/you disagree with my reasoning, PM me.

I agree. It can be quite challenging to remain objective when someone talks about something that you've created negatively. I've had to fight that monster before. Here though, I think we'd benefit from applying developer logic to the situation.

"
NeverSink wrote:

Thank you.

NeverSink

Also, thank you for reading. Please feel free to comment on forums or directly to me through PM. I find either appropriate.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Last edited by Hellcat5 on Jul 14, 2016, 8:26:48 PM
Last bumped on Jul 15, 2016, 3:38:32 AM
....really dude.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Here's an exhaustive list of people who care about your little squabble:
exhaustive list
Hellcat5
"
Here's an exhaustive list of people who care about your little squabble:
exhaustive list
Hellcat5

It does take about 10 minutes to read over the entire post, so perhaps you didn't read. My purpose is to refine what's there, and offer constructive criticism to better overall filter creation.
Last edited by Hellcat5 on Jul 14, 2016, 8:46:52 PM
Someone is butt-hurt...

Just let player which lootfilter they prefer to go. I use neversink and i think that's fantastic filter.
From what i have see in your other post promoting your own filter, I don't see anything that makee me want to change.

I'd suggest you to stop looking for trouble with neversink, i don't see how this helps you in promoting your own filter but just make you look like a fool.
"
reliq wrote:
Someone is butt-hurt...

Just let player which lootfilter they prefer to go. I use neversink and i think that's fantastic filter.
From what i have see in your other post promoting your own filter, I don't see anything that makee me want to change.

I'd suggest you to stop looking for trouble with neversink, i don't see how this helps you in promoting your own filter but just make you look like a fool.

Thinking that offering help to people who're having trouble with neversink's filter is me trying to promote my own filter shows you didn't read the post, and that you don't understand constructive criticism or the process of synthesis (making improvements using thesis + anti-thesis = synthesis). I offered the people who mentioned having trouble help to resolve their problems, and answered when Neversink didn't have time (I presume from no response to them). I will continue to support the community as I have, and I will continue to mod neversink's (or anyone's filter) accordingly.

I'm gonna make a clear statement. I don't care what filter you use. If you're not entirely happy with the filter you're using, I'm happy to modify it accord to what you want.
I'm just gonna give you a heads up guys - don't bother talking to this guy.
He WANTS to be a forum celebrity/twitch streamer. And the problem is he WANTS so hard, he disregards everything else. He doesn't care whenever you want his filter. He WILL get 253995923 "editions" of his "filter" to you, and he WILL get popular.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1650615

I critique his filter for bad choice of colors. He tell me to fuck off, and then someone tells him exactly the same thing.

This guy doesn't take critique, this guy doesn't take no as an answer. He has no self reflection about his actions.

So again, don't argue with him, don't bump his threads, and don't bother giving him any feedback - he does not care. He is here for the fame.

He will try to stick to "popular" people on purpose - to get some visibility.

So yeah, just ignore him, and maybe after long enough he will simply go away. :S
Personally, I'm pretty tired of seeing 5 shitty loot filters, nobody cares about, being bumped every hour.

Antnee has one thread, and I'll go with his filter any day, because his filter actually makes fucking sense.

EDIT: Don't respond - don't give him reasons to spam even more.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Jul 15, 2016, 5:21:51 AM
"
Perq wrote:
I'm just gonna give you a heads up guys - don't bother talking to this guy.
He WANTS to be a forum celebrity/twitch streamer. And the problem is he WANTS so hard, he disregards everything else. He doesn't care whenever you want his filter. He WILL get 253995923 "editions" of his "filter" to you, and he WILL get popular.

Ah my dear Perq. I don't give one crap about becoming a popular streamer. If I did, I'd put a whole lot more time and energy into that. As you could see with the videos I've uploaded to youtube, and how often I stream (aka almost never) you'd know that's not my focus.

"
Perq wrote:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1650615

I critique his filter for bad choice of colors. He tell me to fuck off, and then someone tells him exactly the same thing.

Yea, you said it's ugly. So what? You can have that opinion Perq. That wasn't the point of my response to you. My point was is that for some reason you love to jump in with negativity on threads I post, and you've been doing it almost 2 years now. That comment, which boils down to essentially "your filter is ugly" has no value to the topic.

My response to neversink was courteous, far more than you deserve for the length of time you've been harassing me, thus my "oh gee, it's the ass back again" comment. I've said elsewhere that I find Neversink's filter ugly. So what? I'm entitled to think that as you're entitled to have your opinion about the colors of mine. That's not a bash. It's a personal preference. The issue is that your post had nothing more than a comment of subjective preference, which in no way has constructive value. To note, the colors I selected are widely used in video games in the industry. As one example - http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

"
Perq wrote:

This guy doesn't take critique, this guy doesn't take no as an answer. He has no self reflection about his actions.

So again, don't argue with him, don't bump his threads, and don't bother giving him any feedback - he does not care. He is here for the fame.

He will try to stick to "popular" people on purpose - to get some visibility.

So yeah, just ignore him, and maybe after long enough he will simply go away. :S
Personally, I'm pretty tired of seeing 5 shitty loot filters, nobody cares about, being bumped every hour.

Antnee has one thread, and I'll go with his filter any day, because his filter actually makes fucking sense.

Perq, I take constructive criticism and use it. I even give myself constructive criticism. Example (and yes, I'm calling myself out on the carpet) - I need to clean up my own filters to go along the lines of what I mentioned in comment to neversink's. I made those comments to help all of us improve as filter script writers. I picked Neversink's filter to enact this process with because his is the most complex filter I'm aware of.

Sidenote to Antnee should he read - if you've noticed, I've been mindful of your comment about bumping my filter threads, and I've been alternating which one I bump daily, instead of bumping each one daily. I didn't state I would, but that's what I've been doing in consideration of what you said.

Stating things like "nobody cares about" Perq is quite incorrect. I've had people message me asking when I was going to update my filter each time GGG releases a patch that effects filters. But, I guess since you don't see it, it can't be possible. Perhaps apples growing on trees would be impossible for you also if you don't personally see apples growing on trees.

As I've stated before Perq (in response to one of the comments you made on one of my threads), if you could manage a discussion instead of attack, I'd be happy to chat with you, but instead you continue along the same lines.

Should we, as filter creators follow a "best practices"? Absolutely because it's best for anyone who wants to make a modification to the filter of their choice, and who might not feel comfortable in doing so. It's effort for the community toward creating a better gaming experience.

As for which filter people pick - they could make the choice because it's the first one someone mentions or directs them to, due to lack of knowledge regarding what options they have available instead of being able to pick a filter that they'd get the most out of using.
Last edited by Hellcat5 on Jul 15, 2016, 3:58:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info