[2.3] Temporal Drain - The ultimate ED / Contagion build (budget)

[2.3] Essence drain / Contagion life based curser (atziri viable)

My current tooltip stats:
Essence Drain - 39.1k DoT
Contagion - 3.5k
39% evade
45% dodge
51% spell dodge
4.5k life

This build uses temp chains to achieve incredible defensive power while maintaining a decent clear speed in maps. The budget version is slower at clearing than the final version but just as defensively effective in Apex of Sacrifice and high level maps.

Playstyle is based around single casts of each spell, which cause a chain reaction that often clears incredibly large groups of mobs incredibly fast.

There is no reflect risk. :)

Atziri /Apex

For a first timer in the apex, this build is incredibly forgiving, as it provides you with at least 50% more time to react to all situations than other builds and often saves you even if you have made a mistake.
Before trying atziri make sure you have 3.5k+ life and ~16k+ damage. It will be slow to clear at that point but with better gear, clearing takes very little time.

Apex clear Video

Spoiler
Coming soon, but check out the posessed bosses video below instead :)

Posessed trio & atziri video

Budget version:
Cost - 20-30c
~15-20k DoT (tooltip)
Temp chains at around 58% slowed effectiveness
Vulnerability at around 50% increased damage over time
Atziri Viable

Passive tree (lvl86)

While leveling, move towards the templar AoE nodes and life nodes first (Amplify + Discipline & Training).
Next take Acrobatics and curse effect nodes while taking DoT nodes whenever you feel the need.

Bandits:
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Passive
Merciless - Passive

Gear:
Spoiler
2 wands with high spell damage & projectile speed.
Cast speed helps as an added bonus but not required.

Cherrubim's is optimal for damage but any 5-6L evasion chest with high life works.

This is easily the best in slot item and very cheap to buy.

All other gear should be high evasion and high life rare items of your chosing.

Gems:

Spoiler
Essence drain

I recommend using pierce unless you already have a lvl3/4 empower. Add empower as the 6th link if you do not have a lvl4.

Contagion

Wither

Curses

Other gems

Both Chaos golem or Flame golem are viable, however chaos golem provides more utility for atziri and other difficult bosses.

Full version:

Cost - 20 - 25Ex (or a lot of luck)
Temp chains at 70% slow effectiveness
30-35k DoT (tooltip)

The only difference between the budget build and the full version is the optimisation of items. This is a list of things you will need to fully optimise the build:

Temporal chains labyrinth enchant (66/70% depending on lab)
6L Cherrubim's (offensive) / Daresso's defiance (defensive)
Life + strength maximised on gear
lvl4 empower
lvl21 essence drain
Dodge chance corruption on Atziri's step.
130% + spell damage on each wand
Last edited by Incarcerated on Jul 10, 2016, 3:47:48 PM
Last bumped on Jul 25, 2016, 11:08:20 PM
I think culling strike is a bad choice for ED as it requires a hit for the culling. It won't work with ED's damage over time only with the primary projectile damage if the target is at less than 11% health. As the intended mechanic with ED is to hit the target once and let the dot finish the job, culling strike is a wasted gem slot imo, especially if pierce (a 29% more multiplier) can be used instead.
Last edited by Bada_Bing on Jul 10, 2016, 12:05:03 PM
Good point. Tested this and works very well. My mistake was that i thought culling strike was a 'more' multiplier. I stand corrected! Thanks for the tip ;)
Switch in Slower Projectiles instead of Culling Strike, probably switch out empower for Pierce. Both are More multipliers. Pierce helps with Allies Cannot Die rares/totems.
"
rajaat9 wrote:
Switch in Slower Projectiles instead of Culling Strike, probably switch out empower for Pierce. Both are More multipliers. Pierce helps with Allies Cannot Die rares/totems.

Losing lvl4 empower is a massive dps drop despite the 'more' multiplier from slower projectiles. Plus slower projectiles fucks with the accuracy of the ED hit. Empower is the best option, though it is a more expensive option. Isuppose slower projectiles can be used as a stopgap until you get lvl4 empower but I don't see it working so well for clearspeed.
Hello Nice and intresting build, i got one question is this uber lab viable in HC ?
"
Cultureeeee wrote:
Hello Nice and intresting build, i got one question is this uber lab viable in HC ?

It should be. I rarely die on this build but obviously there are some downsides. Fonts (curse immunity if left up) and charge disruptors are super hard, while everything else is easy as long as you're not standing in places you shouldn't stand.
I'd also recommend using Enfeeble instead of Vulnerability for uber lab just to be on the safe side. Damage reduction is around 50% although the likelihood of an attack hitting you at that point is very low. Mostly, enfeeble is for the AoE skills and spells that might catch you offguard.

Best way to do the fight with this build is to stand near Izaro, as you have plenty of time to maneuver, while not letting him out of curse range.
Last edited by Incarcerated on Jul 22, 2016, 11:36:14 AM
In what order did you do the ascendancy points?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info