[2.3] [3 EX Start-off] Perma-Freeze Archer [feat. Nuro's Harp]

About
Hey there, a bit of myself first. And a bit of warning: This isn't budget-friendly. Best as a second / third character. Also, my computer is garbage. I will not be able to take videos.

Update 1.0.1: I've gotten myself a 6L Voll's Protector. This allowed me to drop my Windscream for a rare boots, as well as put Hypothermia on my 6L. I've recently reseted my gems to 20%, so I do not have accurate tooltip DPS atm. Everything underneath is old, but it works. Swapped out Rat's Nest for Starkonja's Head for extra life and that 50% reduced damage on low life, which saves me from reflect countless of time already.

WILL UPDATE GUIDE IN A BIT ONCE GEMS ARE LEVELED. AS FOR NOW, ENJOY VERSION 1.0.0 OF BUILD.

My Current Gear

Version 1.0.0

I've played for years, and I've spent most of it theorycrafting builds. While most aren't optimal, there is one this league that I can be very proud of.

It's also a pretty simple concept, really. Hit with guaranteed freeze, hit from afar, and you'll never get slashed or clawed ever again.

Introducing the perma-freeze archer feat. Nuro's Harp

Bow
Bow

The star of the show

Make sure to roll high crit rolls with blessed orbs.

Crit stuff
The uniques that make this a crit build

Aim for max crit. That would cost 1ex.

This cost me 50c.

IMPORTANT: You'll need one with vaaled with, "Curse enemies with Temporal Chains on Hit." This will allow you to slow everything you hit, which also simultaneously increases the time they're frozen.

Other important parts of the build

Other uniques

This gives accuracy and dodge, both of which are necessary for survival. Being immune to blind (which cuts your accuracy by 1/2) also makes Shroud Walkers and Vagan fights much, much easier.

This allows us to curse the enemies with two curses.

You'll also need 1 x Lioneye's Fall.
Putting this jewel in that jewel slot just above Resolute Technique will allow you to get the critical nodes from the staves and the one directly opposite Resolute Technique. This also allows you a way to generate Endurance Charges used for your Immortal Call.

You'll also need 1 x Cold Steel.
Putting this jewel right of the Ranger start will allow you to turn all the physical bow nodes into cold bow nodes.

Everything else will be resists with life, % weapon elemental damage, and added cold damage.

Gem Combinations

I'm using a 5L Split Arrow.
Spoiler
- Split Arrow + Weapon Elemental Damage + Increased Critical Strikes + Added Cold Damage + Chain. The 6L will be Increased Critical Damage.

Current DPS: 17k unbuffed, 36k buffed

I'm using a 6L Burning Arrow.
Explanation
But wait, why Burning Arrow? Although barrage does more DPS, we're looking for that one solid hit that will guarantee the freeze on bosses. Burning Arrow has the highest base damage, so we'll be using that.

Spoiler
- Burning Arrow + Increased Critical Strikes + Increased Critical Damage + Power Charge on Critical + Added Cold Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage

Current DPS: 56k unbuffed, 106k buffed.

Other gem setups

3L: Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark. This will let you get Power Charges as you tear through packs.

3L: Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration. This will allow you to survive rapid physical hits.

Other gems: Blood Rage, Summon Ice Golem, Blink Arrow, Vaal Haste, Arctic Armor

Tree

Click here! << for progression to level 30.
Click here! << for progression to level 50.
Click here! << for progression to level 70.
Click here! << for progression to level 90.
Click here! << for full 100 points.

How to level

1) Use the new Fated Stormcloud or Doomfletcher to level until you can wear Nuro's Harp.

2) Get out of Templar start, and work towards Ranger. Aim to get all the critical nodes, life, and some attack speed. You don't need too much damage from the tree at this point just yet.

3) Once you make the switch, it's going to be rough, but hang on until 72+. Get that 6L (you can get a 6L rare for 1ex). Get that bow 5L-ed with 'The Jeweller's Touch'. Finally get that Lioneye's Fall jewel in its place and get the crit nodes there.

Then once you're comfortable clearing everything really fast (around lvl 80), start asking yourself these questions:

- Not enough damage to freeze bosses? Put damage.
- Not enough clear speed? Grab attack speed.
- Dying to things you shouldn't be taking damage from? Learn to move.
- Dying to things that you can't dodge? Get life. Aim about 4k.

Potential upgrades

Voll's Protector allows me to forgo Assassin's Mark and Power Charge on Critical, at the cost of life and resists.

Cospiri's Will allows me to swap Windscream for a good rare boots.

Hyrri's Ire will allow me to put my dodge / spell dodge at 60 / 50, as well as some cold damage at the cost of life.

Belly of the Beast will give me great life at the costs of some resists.

Kintsugi will protect you from getting one-shotted at the cost of some resists.

Daresso's Defiance will give you Onslaught at the costs of lower Immortal Call durations, resists and a little life.

Lightning Coil will cause you to take a lot lesser damage at the cost of lightning resistance.

Kingsguard will heal you as you Immortal Call procs, at the costs of resists and reliability.

Cloak of Defiance will help prevent that pesky one shot, at the cost of life and resists.

The Restless Ward will allow you to keep your charges longer at the cost of little life and resists.

+1 Curse Hinekora is needed to change Windscream to Atziri's Step. With Hyrri's Ire, dodge will be at 70/60. However, this hasn't been seen on the market for days.

[/spoiler]
Last edited by s1ngap0rek1d on Jul 24, 2016, 11:25:33 PM
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2016, 8:03:29 AM
Your tree is a little messed up... you took Resolute Technique but not the adjacent jewel socket. Also, you've used all the skill points, up to level 100; can you post a level 60 and level 90 skill tree as well? Those are the trees that people would actually see.
"
Missha wrote:
Your tree is a little messed up... you took Resolute Technique but not the adjacent jewel socket. Also, you've used all the skill points, up to level 100; can you post a level 60 and level 90 skill tree as well? Those are the trees that people would actually see.

Wow I never realised the blunder. No wonder I had extra points. Thank you :)
Well you've been in my thread so you know what I've done and tried. You can link items by clicking the portrait in the top left of the webpage - that will bring up your characters and inventory, and you ctrl+alt+click like you would in game. It doesn't give you any confirmation that you did it right until you close the inventory screen and see the text in your post preview. It will look something like [char inventory= x'73 y'25 gibberish here]. Then when you hit submit, it will display that item the way you see others do it.

Cool CoH set up, I've never used it with Herald of Ice but I might have to give that a try for applying frostibte. Although I'd be choosing between a proper burning arrow set up and that. Not sure what I'll go for yet.

At first I was surprised to hear that you were freezing everything despite using a chain gem, but then I read the rest. I only just got my power charges online (albeit via a more expensive route) and I'm excited to log back in and see the difference.
"
innervation wrote:
Well you've been in my thread so you know what I've done and tried. You can link items by clicking the portrait in the top left of the webpage - that will bring up your characters and inventory, and you ctrl+alt+click like you would in game. It doesn't give you any confirmation that you did it right until you close the inventory screen and see the text in your post preview. It will look something like [char inventory= x'73 y'25 gibberish here]. Then when you hit submit, it will display that item the way you see others do it.

Cool CoH set up, I've never used it with Herald of Ice but I might have to give that a try for applying frostibte. Although I'd be choosing between a proper burning arrow set up and that. Not sure what I'll go for yet.

At first I was surprised to hear that you were freezing everything despite using a chain gem, but then I read the rest. I only just got my power charges online (albeit via a more expensive route) and I'm excited to log back in and see the difference.

Haha :) Glad we could be of help to each other. Thanks for the layout guide :)
WTF Melee Crit, Staff nodes, armor, what is this wrong tree?
"
RainXXX wrote:
WTF Melee Crit, Staff nodes, armor, what is this wrong tree?

he is using lioneye's fall so the nodes work with bows
Write random stuff here

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info