Black Sockets!

Black socket will act as linked even when not linked to other sockets

IE: you could have a 6s item with the top 4 sockets all linked but the bottom 2 not linked the top of the 2 is a black socket and the other is a white socket thus the item would act as if it was 6l without having to 6l it since the black socket would link the top 4 linked sockets and the white socket after it

Black socket can be gained at random with a vaal orb the same way white sockets are
Last edited by Lynerus on Jun 23, 2016, 11:56:56 PM
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2016, 2:51:56 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I dont understand what you wrote with the links.
Tortured, yet, i'm broken.
meh. nothing new really.

But if it would work between different items, like unset ring with black socket would have a link to body armor.. , it may bring some interesting outcomes. But of course it would need to be severely penalized for such bonus.
terrible idea in my opinion. getting used to it won't be easy tho i suppose if there was a shadow effect linking some together it might work. also if black sockets were rare to get on an item by using chromes and they could only link together with the 2 nearby (just like a normal link) if done correctly it could turn a 3x2 link into a 6link just by having that socketed color. i can't see this happening tho
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
"
terrible idea in my opinion. getting used to it won't be easy tho i suppose if there was a shadow effect linking some together it might work. also if black sockets were rare to get on an item by using chromes and they could only link together with the 2 nearby (just like a normal link) if done correctly it could turn a 3x2 link into a 6link just by having that socketed color. i can't see this happening tho

They would only link nearby sockets they wouldnt link the whole item if it had a black socket

Black Socket:
6 socket item
4 of them sockets are linked
2 of them sockets are not linked to anything
one of the 2 not linked (top one) is a black socket
the other socket after the black socket is a white socket (or any color really just using white to show)
the black socket would link to the 4 already linked sockets and to the white 1 not linked to anything
=
6 linked item

Also it doesnt link sockets from 1 item to another @Andrius319
This seems completely pointless. It is exactly the same as a white socket and a 6 link in all situations. Those are already in the game, so this would add nothing new.
(Except, I guess you can't recolour the sockets or you would lose the link. But still, that's not interesting enough to be worth implementing.)

Now, if the black socket linked to all other sockets but didn't link those sockets to each other (so, kind of like how skills granted by items work now), then that would be interesting!
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 24, 2016, 9:22:50 AM
Its the same ideas as some jewels have... you can link parts of the skill tree without having to link to them

I like your idea also
I wish to contribute to this brainstorming, so the base idea looks interessing, but in my sight needs some extra considerations. As I understood and adding my point of view, black sockets rules could be, sumarized:

+ A black socket, never goes directly linked by normal bonds (fuse orb) to other sockets.

+ Black sockets on diferent gear pieces, go linked themselves as they are "full bond".

+ To prevent a undesired power creep and grant balance, you can equip a maximium number of SIX (or maybe seven, depending if other power limits applied) black sockets to all gear pieces.

+ Black sockets could hold all color of gems, only corrupted and supports or any other limiting rule to prevent power creep and keep white sockets and fuse orbs still useful. Indeed, "black socket power" limited to vaal skills looks very interesing and adecuate to lore (vaal op-arts).

If limited to vaaled skills, an extra posibility is: corrupted gems could have a chance to go black as well (despite if vaaling generates vaal skill or only "corruption"); then, you can place black gems in any slot color, but you can only place black gems in black slot). Considering this way, is a good inversion of the white slot behavior, and a reasonable buff to vaal gems a bit underused in my sight (with exception of a pair of very powerful skills).

+ Black sockets cannot be obtained by normal chrome orbs, only with vaal.

+ Another balancing possibility is Ilevel/unique restrictions to black socket when vaaling items.

This open the possibility to shield bearers to use a dual 6-link, and that can be very afordable with the current game rules.

This also opens the possibility to inter-link gems placed in diferent unique items with hidden "support" (ex. pledge of hands spell echo), this must be studied in detail.
Last edited by Halugar on Jun 24, 2016, 1:44:52 PM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
This seems completely pointless. It is exactly the same as a white socket and a 6 link in all situations. Those are already in the game, so this would add nothing new.
(Except, I guess you can't recolour the sockets or you would lose the link. But still, that's not interesting enough to be worth implementing.)

You can say the same regarding White Sockets. If you want to use a gem of a specific colour then go, recolour your sockets to fit that gem. The white socket is pointless because the mechanic of fitting the gems of your choice in to the item already exist via Chromatic orbs (much like how the original Black socket mechanic idea has Fuse orbs).
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jun 25, 2016, 2:51:39 PM
"
Halugar wrote:
I wish to contribute to this brainstorming, so the base idea looks interessing, but in my sight needs some extra considerations. As I understood and adding my point of view, black sockets rules could be, sumarized:

+ A black socket, never goes directly linked by normal bonds (fuse orb) to other sockets.

+ Black sockets on diferent gear pieces, go linked themselves as they are "full bond".

+ To prevent a undesired power creep and grant balance, you can equip a maximium number of SIX (or maybe seven, depending if other power limits applied) black sockets to all gear pieces.

+ Black sockets could hold all color of gems, only corrupted and supports or any other limiting rule to prevent power creep and keep white sockets and fuse orbs still useful. Indeed, "black socket power" limited to vaal skills looks very interesing and adecuate to lore (vaal op-arts).

If limited to vaaled skills, an extra posibility is: corrupted gems could have a chance to go black as well (despite if vaaling generates vaal skill or only "corruption"); then, you can place black gems in any slot color, but you can only place black gems in black slot). Considering this way, is a good inversion of the white slot behavior, and a reasonable buff to vaal gems a bit underused in my sight (with exception of a pair of very powerful skills).

+ Black sockets cannot be obtained by normal chrome orbs, only with vaal.

+ Another balancing possibility is Ilevel/unique restrictions to black socket when vaaling items.

This open the possibility to shield bearers to use a dual 6-link, and that can be very afordable with the current game rules.

This also opens the possibility to inter-link gems placed in diferent unique items with hidden "support" (ex. pledge of hands spell echo), this must be studied in detail.

now this a good idea, + Black sockets on diferent gear pieces, go linked themselves as they are "full bond".

black socket only in rings or amulet
IGN: SMALLDUCK

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info