No Man's Sky in court.

Sky TV have been pursuing legal action against No Man's Sky for the use of the word Sky for 3 years, thankfully it was thrown out.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/18/no-mans-sky-developer-settles-lawsuit-with-sky-tv

So this may explain the delay, if Sky TV had won and they had launched the game there would have been some shit going down.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last bumped on Jun 22, 2016, 8:55:41 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
thankfully it was thrown out.

So this may explain the delay, if Sky TV had won and they had launched the game there would have been some shit going down.

The wording suggests it was NOT thrown out. There was a 'secret' settlement. Which likely means they paid a lot of money and signed a confidentiality clause to use 'Sky' in the title of the game.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Jun 19, 2016, 7:42:36 PM
Hmmmm... reminds me... there was something up with the word "Edge" being trademarked in the west by some douchenozzel and the reason why you cant find many a game with such word in name. Something "interesting" to google if anyone cares.
Oblivious
If the game had been titled "No Man's Sky TV," I could've seen it. The judge should have ruled for the defendant, and penalized Sky TV for their frivolous suit. =9[.]9=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Here's some interesting information about copyright that may shed some light on this lawsuit.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 8:19:17 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
Sky went after Skype when Microsoft launched the service in the EU. They will go after anything that even comes close.

Funny thing is, before I read this thread, I'd never even heard of "Sky TV." =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
You can not trademark a word(s). You can trademark however an idea of a word. Why they lost... As a matter of fact because both lawyers on each side sucked I believe they settled. You can actually go online and look up the case if you have access.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jun 22, 2016, 8:57:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info