[New Player] Need help with Summoner Build

Original Witch thread for reference

Original Witch Build

New Skill tree from Scion

So I'm a pretty new player, just unlocked the Scion class from my first scrubcore run through, using the above witch build. I really like that build, but I thought the Scion might be able to do it even better, getting about as tanky but with much more in the way of minions (Health, Damage, and Numbers). So I came up with this skill tree as a sort of theoretical path I would take.

I would like to use a totem for summoning my skeletons, but I didn't take any totem nodes because I honestly don't know if they're necessary for what I want to do. I was also thinking of skipping SRS mostly and instead just giving all my minions haste. Midnight Bargain would replace Clayshaper for this build. Grip of the council might find its way in too, if I can test whether or not the slower MS for my minions really matters. If i do go Grip of the Council, would Montregrul's Grasp perhaps be better for my weapon?

Sorry this isn't laid out a bit better, and Thanks for any help you can provide!
Last edited by Creationist0 on Jun 18, 2016, 10:15:20 PM
Last bumped on Jul 22, 2016, 9:16:07 PM
If you want to play summoner stick to witch. Necromancer is far far better than any ascendancy class the scion can offer. Just picking mistress of sacrifice and casting bone offering every now and then will make you more tanky if wearing a shield than any armour stacking with the scion.

You don't need totem nodes for spell totem-summon skeletons. Skeletons are for distraction only so there is no need for extra totem nodes.

If your main focus isn't on srs but on zombies and spectres i would use montegrul's grasp. The life reservation of midnight bargain is worth only if you are doing a low life build anyway. Even then you may want to reserve life by using auras instead of wearing that weapon.

Grip of the council: Not sure about that. The movement penalty may hurt you more with the shitty minions AI than you gain with the extra cold damage.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
If you want to play summoner stick to witch. Necromancer is far far better than any ascendancy class the scion can offer. Just picking mistress of sacrifice and casting bone offering every now and then will make you more tanky if wearing a shield than any armour stacking with the scion.

You don't need totem nodes for spell totem-summon skeletons. Skeletons are for distraction only so there is no need for extra totem nodes.

If your main focus isn't on srs but on zombies and spectres i would use montegrul's grasp. The life reservation of midnight bargain is worth only if you are doing a low life build anyway. Even then you may want to reserve life by using auras instead of wearing that weapon.

Grip of the council: Not sure about that. The movement penalty may hurt you more with the shitty minions AI than you gain with the extra cold damage.

Alright. Thank you very much! So witch really just is better for summoner, got it.
In my experiences thus far, I don't find Witch to be automatically better for a pure (zombie/spectre) summoner.

As an example, if you were to look at the Monte'grul's grasp that was mentioned above you'll find that when you use it with a Scion you get 5% physical resistence but when you use it with a Witch Necromancer you have to have 10 Zombies in order to get the same 5% phys res (you pay an opportunity cost loss on your gear for 10 Zombies). BTW, never use Monte'grul's Grasp with a Witch because losing the 5% phys res is so much worse than any bonus a 1 handed weapon can provide even if you went unarmed, and you can get the %50 increased ES sword instead. Or the Spell Echo wand or whatever.

The same goes for the other parts of the build as well. +1% Energy Shield regen is super great for CI summoner.

There are a lot of variables to making a character so I won't get too far into it, but I think it's important to realize that you aren't going to have enough APM to use all the skills you have. By the time you cast 1 spell everything will be dead except bosses, probably, so things like Flesh Offering only help some of the time. Same with Bone Offering, it's mostly useless for your minions except on extremely tough content (T13+ maps). Unless you are running a MF build or are a non-Summoner Necro, you and your minions won't be in danger so you'll cast your totem once to direct them somewhere and then pick up the loot as you run.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info