[2.3] Gladiator Max Block Cyclone Counterattack Build (WIP)

I'm working on a Cyclone build with Max Block (including Spell Block). The general idea is to stack armour, block, spell block, Fortify, and life regen/leech/on hit and use high DPS Cyclone mixed with block counterattack abilities for damage. I plan on running this in Hardcore.

The Gems

Spoiler
5L - Cyclone->Melee Physical Damage->Concentrated Effect->Faster Attacks->Fortify
The main damage skill, obviously. The Life Gain on Hit and Life Leech will come from passives in the tree and Poacher's Mark, so I can focus on full damage here.

4L - Reckoning->Riposte->Melee Physical Damage->Added Cold Damage
Counterattacks with extra damage. Pretty self explanatory. Unsure if Added Cold Damage is the best here or if Added Fire or another damage gem would work better.

4L - Tempest Shield->Added Cold Damage->Iron Will->Increased Duration
Extra block and more counterattack. Stacked with damage and Increased Duration with the expectation that I shouldn't have to self cast often with an ~18ish second duration. I should be moving and blocking enough to keep that up.

4L - CWDT->Immortal Call->Increased Duration->Flame Golem
CWDT for Immortal Call with Increased Duration for some extra survivability, and Flame Golem for added damage. Can keep the CWDT at level 1 for both of these so it should proc pretty much any time damage gets through.

3S2L - Herald of Ice, Blasphemy->Poacher's Mark
Herald for damage. Poacher's Mark is for the Life/Mana on hit, as well as building Frenzy charges for more damage.

3S - Herald of Ash, Leap Slam, Vaal Grace
Herald for damage. Leap Slam for maneuverability (mostly just for crossing gaps). Vaal Grace for an extra "Oh shit" button.

The Skill Tree

Bandits
Spoiler
+40 Life, Skill Point, Frenzy Charge (for Poacher's Mark)

Equipment
Spoiler
A really high damage Rapier. Rapier has the longest reach and attack speed of 1H weapons, so is well suited for Cyclone I think.

The Anvil... maybe? The reduced movement speed hurts. It would make maxing out block easier, and give the 3% extra max block so it might be worth it.

Bronn's Lithe... maybe. The extra movement speed and damage (and level for Cyclone gem) could be nice. The lack of life or resistances on chest piece is something that will need to be made up for elsewhere, though. The move speed can help to counteract the Anvil movement speed reduction.

1k+ Armour Shield. This build runs about 440% increased defenses on shield, so a 1k armour shield becomes 4.4k armour. This is where most of the physical damage reduction is coming in.

Everything else would be Armour/Armour Evasion equipment.

So, the problem I have right now is optimizing the passive tree. It's a bit low on life (only 137%), though it does have a ton of strength. The block is all there. There's a decent bit of damage/attack speed mixed in. I also need to pick up a little bit more Dexterity/Intelligence (will need over 200 dex for high end rapiers and some of the gems, and need about 110 int for a gem or two).

Thoughts? Any ideas on optimizing the skill tree?
Last edited by Svenn on Jun 11, 2016, 5:36:21 PM
Last bumped on Apr 19, 2017, 6:43:08 PM
Reworked the tree a little. Since my last iteration (which is slightly different than the original) this gives +3% life, +50 life, about 30% more damage, 4% more attack speed, 15% increased AoE radius, more elemental resists, 10 str, and 30 int at the cost of 35% reduced Defenses from shields (so a 1k shield will give about 4.1k versus 4.4k armor), no max fire resist increase, and a couple block percentage... but with anvil and tempest it should still hit max block pretty easy (30% shield + 8% anvil + 3% tempest + 35% passives = 76% base, with +8% when damage recently). It's 3 more points (84 total) which is really high still. There may be a few other minor differences that I missed, but it still seems better overall.

www.poeurl.com/FXM
Last edited by Svenn on Jun 7, 2016, 11:03:47 PM
And Cyclone don't use blood magic ?
"
bansze wrote:
And Cyclone don't use blood magic ?

No Blood Magic. I should have enough mana left over to cast it (especially since there's a bit of mana cost reduction in the tree), and the Poacher's Mark Aura gives me a bunch of mana on hit (enough that like 2 hits should give back enough to recast it).
Last edited by Svenn on Jun 8, 2016, 9:24:36 AM
Level 42 and in Cruel. So far so good. I'm only running Cyclone as a 3L right now (Cyclone->Melee Attack Damage->Fortify) and I'm at about 1100 DPS. I am also very tanky. My current gear isn't that great, I only have about 45% block so far, and I don't have Iron Reflexes yet, but I can still survive very well. It's only Cruel though, so we'll see how that lasts into Merciless.

I did manage to get both Heralds and the Blasphemy->Poacher's Mark running. Even at level 42 with no points or gear to increase mana I still have something like 50 mana, which is enough to Cyclone about 3 times. With Poacher's mark I'm constantly at full mana though so I can pretty much Cyclone forever as long as I'm hitting something.

One thing that I should point out is that a lot of the DPS of this build actually comes from the counterattacks (Riposte/Reckoning/Tempest Shield and eventually some from Anvil) and in a party you lose a lot of that. I'd recommend that if you are running in a party to grab a Warcry for the taunt (any of the 3 should work, I like Rallying Cry for extra damage).
Level 59 and finishing up Cruel. Here's what I'm currently running:
Spoiler

And here's my current tree:

Tooltip dps on cyclone is about 2200dps, but I'm very tanky and all the counter-attack damage is a ton. I can stand in the middle of dried lake Cruel and things kill themselves on me pretty quick.

Liking it so far! Can't wait to see how well it does once I hit Merciless (and after I get the Spell Block finally, don't know the Labyrinth well enough yet and dreading it on Cruel without the Spell block).
Last edited by Svenn on Jun 12, 2016, 12:22:47 PM
I was thinking of something like this...

did block work OK while cycloning?

I was going to run with queen of the forest and an evasion build, but thought I'd check out this was going for you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info