ALT + TAB freezes/crashes the game

While in game full screen pressing alt+tab game completely freezes and stops responding. Nothing works, the only option left is to press ctrl+alt+delete and end game through task manager. This started roughly 1 week ago, never ever before this problem occurred. It doesn't happen always, sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't, not sure what is the reason.

Here are few examples how it happened:

1. Game is running > press ALT+TAB > game freezes/crashes > close the game through task manager > start game again > try pressing ALT+ TAB again > game freezes again > restart computer > turn on the game > press ALT + TAB > game doesn't freeze/crash.

2. Turn on computer > browse the internet for a while > turn on the game > press ALT + TAB > game freezes

Edit:
Its not black screen, just stopped/frozen in game view. Took a look at last client logs, nothing exceptional. It also happens at login screen.

This happens both in windowed mode and fullscreen. Graphics drivers are up to date. Did "Packcheck" - no problems.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Jun 6, 2016, 11:53:03 AM
Last bumped on Dec 14, 2017, 10:21:46 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Bump. I know that you're knee-deep into working on "Prophecy" bugs, but can you imagine how annoying this is, especially when trying to use 3rd party tools to trade? Have to deal with this problem pretty much every single day I turn on POE, can you finally take a look into this? Thank you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
What you describing always happens to me in act 3 town if you in act 3 try to minimize the game in other areas.
Another day , Another chaos
"
HeavyFerrum wrote:
What you describing always happens to me in act 3 town if you in act 3 try to minimize the game in other areas.

It happens in different areas. For example, last time it happened in act 2 town.
Doesn't matter where I am (hmm i'll have to see if it is only act 3 but pretty sure it has happened elsewhere). Tab out and I randomly get a blank brownish/black screen.

Can't click on any other applications.

Ctrl-alt-del start task manager.

I can see other open apps but can't click on them (even the task manager).

Have to get task bar to show up.

Right click POE icon in the task bar and select close window. ONLY way I have found (other than power down) to get out of it. Alt-f4 doesn't shut POE down or it takes so long I have gone to the icon by then.

Seriously annoying I should be able to multi task.

Seems to have started after the last nvidia driver update, but i may be wrong on that.
Last edited by Arondos on Aug 26, 2016, 3:33:56 PM
Crashing after Alt-tabbing has been around forever in this game. The only way to make it go away (at least that I found) was to run windowed fullscreen.

If it started after the last update to nVidia drivers, downgrade them.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"
Crashing after Alt-tabbing has been around forever in this game. The only way to make it go away (at least that I found) was to run windowed fullscreen.

If it started after the last update to nVidia drivers, downgrade them.

I don't think it's a driver issue, since I run Radeon and it is widely reported of many games and the way drivers are handled. See: http://www.howtogeek.com/181761/why-pc-games-struggle-with-alttab-and-how-to-fix-it/ essentially windowed full screen is a compromise. You won't get the most from your hardware that way.

OTOH ... I run Win 10 and as long as I start task manager first, PoE at least behaves better. Still locks up sometimes but all in all it is better and I can Alt-tab and if not sometimes even in a hardlock still WinKey-Tab and get out with out just hitting the power button.

For a while I was playing DND and they patched their game to fix the issue. Maybe you could ask them? This thread in the 2.0 series of patches was where they fixed it. And they announced about the alt-tab fix.

Note: Darkfall New Dawn- https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,1520.0.html
Last edited by Olbrannon on Oct 26, 2016, 8:47:16 PM
With the new league this problem is back. No display driver updates were done.
I'm having same issue with the new league.Computer shuts down randomly while playing Poe especially while alt+tabbing.I don't face this issue while playing any other game.
"
Toshis8 wrote:
With the new league this problem is back. No display driver updates were done.

"
Muzax wrote:
I'm having same issue with the new league.Computer shuts down randomly while playing Poe especially while alt+tabbing.I don't face this issue while playing any other game.

Hello,

Can you both please send me a PM with your DxDiag info?

How to DxDiag

If you are running Windows 7 or higher:
Press and hold the Windows key, then press R. This should open the Run window.
In the pop-up window enter DxDiag and click Ok.
After the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window opens; Click on, "Save all information", then choose a location to save the text file to.
Once you have the text file, attach it to an email and send it to us at:
techsupport@grindinggear.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info