2.2 ShadowSaw - cheap/ssf dual curse blade vortex build

I play self found... I just prefer to play than spent time trading. So, I can't count on getting great gear, or even a specific unique. So I need a tree that gives me a good solid base.

In the Perandus League, I ended up with a build that served me well enough to prompt me to post about it. I haven't seen another quite like it - maybe for good reason :) ShadowSaw is lvl 88 and still going strong - my previous highest was 80 (and was struggling).

The core of this build is strong defense from the tree and curses. Specifically, from the tree I go with Phase Acrobatics. I also run Blasphemy + Warlord's Mark + Enfeeble, and have Fortify linked with Wirlling Blades. If things seem a bit dangerous I pop the smoke cloud flask.

For damage, Blade Vortex seemed like a good choice (plus I'd never used it). I needed mobs to get close enough for warlord's give me leech but ideally not so close to always be able to hit me. It has served me well so far. Also, until about lvl85 it was only 4-linked. Most of the time mobs that charge or leap die (whites), or at least get stunned (blues/yellows) when they hit the outer edge of the vortex. For additional damage I also run Hatred.

Cons:
Reserved mana - the dual curse auras + hatred leave me with 110 mana. Even with leech, this does limit things. 1) maps with reduced/no regen take a little extra care
Spoiler
in one map I paused long enough that my vortex died and I didn't have enough mana to start it up again. I had to waste a portal to recharge and swap flasks. But if you pay attention it doesn't cause much of a problem.
2) i think it is also limiting my max dps - I'll discuss this later

Curse immune mobs/maps are extra dangerous - but still doable.
Spoiler
I did a Zana map that was curse immune and I was about 1/3 through it before I figured out what was making it harder than other maps. At that point I turned off the curse auras, and proceeded to carefully finish the map.

Current lvl88 tree:

While Leveling, I basically took nodes around the shadow area and down to acrobatics then moved up thru the witch to go past the Whispers of Doom cluster (I picked those up later) and down to Sovereighty. And picking up the other aura mana reduction nodes. Then I got Whispers of Doom. Then moved into the templar damage nodes. I'm currently filling in the scion health cluster.

Updated lvl89 tree

As for Ascendancy class I went with Assassin. Basically for 'free' power charges, culling, and more crit chance & multi. Add the 'free' endurance charges from Warlord's and the frenzy charges from Ice Bite ...

An aside, getting useful enchantments sucks. I got lucky twice on gloves but I gave up on boots and especially the helm.

Skill Links:
Spoiler

Blade Vortex - spell echo - added fire damage - faster casting - ice bite (still playing around with the 5th socket other choices are phyical to lightning, poision, ...)
Blasphemy - warlord's mark - enfeeble
Whirling blades(lvl 1) - fortify - added accuracy (I needed this earlier but might not now)
CWDT - immortal call - increased duration

I'm using the remaining sockets for single utility skills (enduring cry, lightning warp, chaos golem) or to level alternate gems (If I run a physical reflect map I swap out faster casting for physical to lightning)

Bandits:
Spoiler

skill point
help oak for the phys damage
skill point

Current Gear: you can see, nothing special.
Spoiler

I'm not claiming this is a great build. But, it works and it is fun.

I'm curious to see people's thoughts.
Last edited by Dafyd on Jun 2, 2016, 11:19:56 PM
Last bumped on Jun 2, 2016, 11:55:23 PM
Reached lvl89 but didn't make my goal of 90. Partially due to lack of T10+ maps. I've updated the skill tree in the original post.

Some additional thoughts on the build:

Blade Vortex supports:
Prior to the 1st post, I hadn't had a chance to play around with my new 5-link. Since then I've experimented a bunch.

As a reminder with a 4-link I had BV - Added Fire - Faster Casting - Spell Echo. Using these as a base some of the supports I tried:
Ice Bite - due to the initial socket colors (it was also leveled some as I used it before I got spell echo)
Poison
Reduced Mana
Phys to Lightning
inc duration

Because of my small effective mana pool, only 109, using poison/Phys to lightning and other expensive supports actually lowered my real DPS. The tool tip may have shown higher dps but I couldn't sustain as many blades. I may be limited by my mana leech rate.

After awhile I settled on reduced mana as the 5th gem. This allowed a higher # of blades and made curse immune mobs a little easier.

But, after playing that way for a few days, I found I was taking more damage. I even died to a corpse exploder.

After that I went back to using Ice Bite. With it, I have a total of 20% freeze chance which combined with Hatred (& crits) almost all whites and many blue/yellows shatter. Leaving few mobs for res, exploders, consuming... Also, for mobs that survive the 1st few hits, there is a good chance they are frozen - reducing incoming damage. Plus, frenzy charges are always nice.

At this point I don't know what I'd do with a 6-link - other than reduced mana.

Other notes:
I tried removing the increased acc on whirling blades but it drastically reduced my fortify chance.

On 2.3, I don't think the changes to Enfeeble and Warlord's Mark with have much effect.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info