[2.2] Assassin quill rain coc + physical + emberwake + taming = double dipping poison in 300 ignites

A personal write up of my Perandus build, so I can look back at it in the future. It's a work in progress. I won't elaborate too much, but will answer questions here or in game if anyone is interested.

The necessities for this build
1) The assassin notable deadly infusion (finished cruel laboratory);
2) Quill Rain Short Bow;
3) The Taming Prismatic Ring;
4) Emberwake Ruby Ring;
5) A 6l chest;

6) Some gear and levels. Thanks to the high hitrate of quill rain, a relatively low crit chance is enough to kill stuff reliably, so this build started to work for me as soon as I completed cruel laboratory. When gearing up for maps, the biggest hurdle to overcome for me was getting enough accuracy from gear, tree and jewels, especially early league.

Current gear
Don't mind the gems in the bow, I've been trying different combinations in helmet, gloves and bow.

How it works
In short:
1) Quill rain shoots very fast from itself, but now also with very high crit chance thanks to the ascendency, triggering bladefall and blade vortex, which each hit multiple times.
2) Thanks to the ascendency both bladefall and blade vortex have very high crit chances as well.
3) Thanks to the Emberwake ring + herald of ash, blast rain + bladefall + blade vortex are all stacking ignites.
4) Because of the combination of emberwake and taming, my initial hits get multiplied by the number of active ignites. 0 when the fight starts, 200+ after 4 seconds.
5) Bladefall and blade vortex stack poison thanks to the poison gem.
6) The poison damage is based on the hit that was multiplied by the taming+emberwake, and then double dips the normal double dipping stats (area damage + chaos damage), after which it once more gets multiplied by the taming + emberwake effect. "I think ..."

An estimate of how many ignites the build stacks and how fast
When I start a fight with blade vortex'es active from a previous fight, I can stack 300 ignites in less than 4 seconds. Without blade vortex, so with only blast rain+bladefall I think my ignites stabilize around 200.

If I wanted to stack more ignites faster when shooting from a distance, I could use glacial cascade instead of blade vortex, since glacial cascade is also partially physical + also hits the same target multiple times per cast. But for safety while clearing, I found that blade vortex is superior to glacial cascade.

I did try testing this in 1v1 arena, but unfortunately the guinea pig (an RT EQ tank with high armor and good regen) I was using, cept dying between 100 and 120 ignites, even when I was using a level 1 bladefall, which says more about how broken the pvp damage normalization is than about this build. However, I don't think any boss without ignite immunity can live long enough to get to the 300 ignites.

Some quick math
My attack speed with blast rain is 0.2 seconds, with 95% crit chance and 90% accuracy. My attack also has 15% chance to ignite and 70% chance to cast on crit.

Blast rain hits 4 times per attack, so every 0.05 seconds.
Atleast I hope so. When I was leveling the character I conducted some tests in 1v1 arena with maybe 70% crit chance at the time, to find an optimal attack speed. From 0.25s to 0.17s I seemed to gain more damage till 0.2seconds, but more than that didn't give significant further damage increases, nor a noticeable decrease.

The average number of crits with blast rain per second: 0.9*0.9*0.95*20 = 15.39
The average number of ignites per second is then: 15.39 + 0.9*(1-0.95)*0.15*20 = 15.525

The average number of bladefalls per second is: 15.39*0.7 = 10.773
Blade fall has a critical strike chance of about 85% and hits with 5 volleys per cast.
So the average number of ignites caused by bladefall per second is: 10.733*5*(0.85+0.05*0.15) = 46.018

According to my math, blast rain and bladefall are causing 61.5 ignites per second.

With an ignite duration of 4 seconds, that means the number of ignites would stabilize at around 246 without adding blad vortex. This is not consistent with my in game experience, where blade vortex seems to make a large difference. Maybe I made a mistake in the math, or 0.2 seconds is not the optimal attack time for coc blast rain. Food for thought.

Fighting bosses
The defence of this build is dodge + leech based, which can be risky against a single mob when no ignites have been stacked yet. So therefor when entering a boss chamber, I will usually shoot the boss from a distance, only stacking ignites with blast rain+bladefall and only doing damage with bladefall.

When solo, some bosses die before they can attack me. When the boss does land a hit, my low level cwdt setup (check my boots) will flame dash me on top of the boss + curse the boss with warlord's mark. If I started the fight well, the boss should have a good number of ignites running already and I should have a good amount of blade vortexes active, so that my damage is high enough to instaleech back to full life.

When I'm in a full group where I significantly more damage than the others, I will shoot the boss from a distance for a few seconds, till I see my poison stacking gaining traction when going through the boss' his hitpoints. After about 4 seconds the boss will have about 200 ignites running and I will have 30+ blade vortexes, which is a good moment to warp on top of the boss with blink arrow, soon after which it will die. The biggest challenge for me in boss fights with groups, is finding the boss and locking on to it with blast rain.

Last edited by RunawayFixer on May 27, 2016, 7:59:06 PM
Last bumped on Jan 31, 2017, 11:55:16 PM
Had a similar idea today but I was thinking barrage with dying sun and barrage helm enchant instead of blast rain. Thoughts?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info