Cheats and hacks.. :P

I was wondering like probably many others how active Grinding gear games is going to be
preventing hacks like we've seen in diablo2.
Anyone got an idea or heard anything in the subject?
"The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know…"
Last bumped on Mar 25, 2014, 12:27:12 PM
Duping will be hard because they can track all items, but I think botting (especially autoit scripts) will be hard for such a small company to completely control. In MMO's you have the option to report a player, but in PoE you will have private games (not in cut-throat league though) so nobody will see you if you bot. If even Blizzard can't detect autoit scripts I doubt GGG will.

Autoit scripts mimic keyboard and mouse input and can be really advanced. In due time complete bots with auto-leveling (monster killing, using potions etc), item management (identifying, checking whether its value is above threshold, selling/buying etc) will be compiled.
In combination with Virtual Machines, random decisions and time management (does random area's, logs of at certain intervals and logs back in at certain intervals to look like a real person) it will be hard for GGG :)
I hope they can pull it off though:D

EDIT: When re-reading this it looked like I was some sort of hacker too, but that is not true. I actually can't code at all, but being a hardcore Diablo2 player I know what is possible etc.
Imo, don't waste time. The main reason for the development of hacks is to actually to make money. This game is free and I doubt will be in such a high demand that accounts sell for any kind of real money. Same with in-game money/items, it seems relatively safe from target.

If the game explodes in playerbase then maybe GGG will have the funding to deal with that issue should it arise.
the main reason hacks are so bad in D2 is it is so popular. as much as i think this game will be fun i would be foolish to think it will rank the same. also like fruitlord said the point is to make money so if people will pay for virtual gold then this stuff will happen if not then there wont be a real issue
The difference is that the character is stored on a server and not on your computer. Furthermore to get items you have to play online, which means you cant hack any items, gold or levels.

This is the main difference between games and MMOs, in MMOs you actually have to earn stuff (unless you use bots).

There will never be hacks like on D2, there are most likely safeguards in place that check every action your character takes and whether it is a permitted action.

As far as bots are concerned, I have no experience, but with players checking and reporting, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

But who knows, we will have to wait and find out :)
I wish I could go into more detail about this, but obviously it's best for us not to discuss specifics about our exact plans for combating these issues.

Duplication or unintended modification of items will not be possible in Path of Exile.
The fight against third party modifications will be a long and bloody one, but we will win.
There are a lot of efficient techniques to make it unsustainable to run bots in games such as this - we won't need to rely on other players reporting them (which, as Vandro says, is hard due to instancing).

Past generations of games had their core architecture written literally a decade ago, when online gaming was in its infancy. It's 2010 now, and like most contemporary games, Path of Exile has been designed from the ground up to be difficult to attack.

The other side of the coin is that we want to encourage our community to not want to use these types of programs. We're writing this game for you guys to have fun in, and it'll hopefully be a balanced competitive playfield. Enjoy it in the form it's meant to be enjoyed in!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
sounds good , also i hope you will always have someone playing/watching at all times . active caretakers are the best weapon against those who seek to ruin your game .
Maybe players you can trust? Volunteer admins leave more money/time for the developers to develop!
Thanx alot for all the answers!
Nice to hear it probably wont be a big deal.
I'm really looking forward to this game and cant wait for the beta to be released.
(Hardcore player forever!!!)
"The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know…"
Hi.
Thanks to the devs fot their effort. Cheats and hacks ruin so many games. I think they will exist in more or less amount, but as long as you keep banning them and fighting against them, the game will be close to clean and your effort will be really appreciated. Don't act like Blizzard in Diablo2, and please always keep working against the hacks, thanks!
IGN: Gonorreitor

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info