Hiero CI spectre/zombie/AG summoner with triple-totem SRS

What you get:
4 spectres (machine gun flame sentinels with EE -50% fire)
9 zombies (multistrike poisoning)
20-30 raging spirits (melee splash from 3 totem, also with EE -50% fire)
1 animated guardian (typical aura setup)
1 stone golem (for ES recharge under CI)
bucket of vaal skellies, if you like
Total 184% minion dmg modifier
Total 70% minion life modifier
Continuous full power and frenzy charges on all minions and you
ES of 6.7k with 1.7k/s recharge (pops to over 12k with vaal discpline)
Capped merc resistances

What you don't get:
any flask effects, because of umbilicus, your minions get these
invitations to parties, your minions can and will crash someone's computer

What you do:
Ball lightning for dual curse (not just lvl 1, you can use lvl 20 for some actual damage)
Flask support minions with umbilicus and offering
Stand near, not in, danger

Limitations

Spoiler

Map mods a pain:
Blood magic will kill you instantly if you cast, but you could just chase your minions around, I guess.
Elem reflect is hard on your flame sentinels (maybe switch setup to knitted if you have an awesome reflect map)

Temp chains might kill you, though minions don't seem to care. Since you're CI and your flask affect your minions, you have nothing but ES and position to save you.

Not Atziri viable without some mad convo and flask skills. Unlike my ice trapper that kills her before she can finish her attacks, minions are slower to boss kill. After just a few of her fire blasts, most of the minions are dead and flasks are drained, leaving you to kite around with animated guardian in tow. Relogged as ice trapper and finished her off, a little disappointing.

Disclaimer

Spoiler

This is my first build on forum. I made a god-like guardian, leveled at 80, and realized that most high dps don't really need a guardian, plus having your main char as support sucks. So my poor templar was abandoned for an ice trapper, another build I had wanted to explore this league.

Anyway, I had a pile of exalts and chaos leftover from my ice trapper, which admittedly was a great build this league, surely to be nerfed, but gets pretty boring after a month. Finished my 40 challenges, so time to work on some achievements, and this build completes three of them.

By forum standards, it probably sucks, but it's wicked fun to play, if you computer isn't tuber powered.

Summary

Spoiler

So you want to play a summoner build, but are stuck with an end-game leveled templar?

I toyed around with inquisitor and consecrated ground and minions, yeah..... that was a fail. Heiro, however, has some cool nodes that work pretty well with a summoner build. Hell, even guardian might be good here, should have drunk less and thought more when building this char.

In short, if you like standing around, while monsters kill everything, this might work for you. The heiro skills suggests a fundamentally different minion build than the witch.

Passive tree

Spoiler

Current passive tree

Full tree 112 points

You can pretty much play summoner the whole way through, so I don't really see the need break this down by level. .

My advice, take ES as needed, save CI for later, add minion stuff whenever you can.

For Ascendancy, I'd recommend:

Pursuit of Faith - Ritual of Awakening - Illuminated Devotion, in that order

Conviction of power looks appealing, but you get so many power/frenzy charges from the minions with Victario's Charity, that it becomes redundant.

Gear

Spoiler

Necessary for build
Spoiler

The chest and boots give us more minions and boost our stats. The shield is a must have for minion when you take Necro Aegis. The belt applies our flasks effects to our spectres and zombies. I tried an SRS sacrificial setup with Maligaro's Lens, but it was pretty outdated. If you have the cash or the RNG favor, you might want to try for a +1 level to socketed on the boots.

I lucked out with the boot enchantment, extra speed for whirling blades and curse casting.

Highly recommended
Spoiler

The helm should have +2 minion. Both gloves and helm should have some mean ES stats, as well as some resistance. The chaos resistance here is no longer useful, since this build is CI. The glove enchantment is nice for this build; you can combat bleed even better with the consecrated ground from crit just by staying still and casting three SRS totems in front of you. Helm enchantments, yeah, not worth it.

The rest
Spoiler

Be sure to use triple resistance unset rings. These have some ES, too, which is nice.
While not the cheapest or most elegant solution, an astramentis will solve most of your str and dex attribute problems. Ideally, a strong one with a +1 curse would be best (well, a Voll's here would be even better), but we're trying to keep this build under 2 ex.

Skills

Spoiler

So I tried to decide with summoner skills to work with, and I decided, all of them. Well, except, skeletons, because they suck, but I've got that covered, too, in a way.

Spectres
Spoiler

With Vis Mortis and Bones of Ullr and the passives, we get four of these, and they are the main damage givers.
There's so much info about these on forum, so you can look up with type you want. I chose Flame Sentinels and used the following gems, accordingly.

Raise spectre (B) + minion damage (B) + GMP (G) + spell echo (B) and chain (G)

If I had a six-link, would have added elemental focus (B). It's pretty easy to color this chest, and the stats are great. Knitted horror are also fun, and make weird sounds, but elemental damage looked more fun than bleed. Either way, you're killing.

The second most important skill is zombies.

Zombies

Spoiler

So the spectres are fire damage spammers, but this are some melee fiends. So let's let them spam poison.

Raise zombie (B) + minion damage (B) + poison (G) + multistrike (R)

Ah, you recall, we're hiero, so there's a cool node that adds 2% life leech to boot skills. I'm pretty sure this means the zombies get the life instead of me, so Ghost Reave is a waste of points, but that's fine, fewer zombies to refresh.

The idea with multi strike is multiple poisons.

Raging spirits

Spoiler

Well, there are whole build around these, and they are particularly strong when user summoned. But we've got spectres and zombies to think about that's a lot of button pushing. Also, I've got that cool 3 totem node in hiero that isn't being used. What about totem-casting SRS, they're expendable anyway? They do more damage than you might expect.

Summon raging spirit (B) + minion damge (B) + melee splash (R) + spell totem (R)

Ah, you recall, we're hiero, so there's a cool node that adds 20% resist pierce to helm skills. These guys are 50% fire damage, and we can get up to 30 spirits at a time with three totems, so that's okay, sure, I guess.

Having a totem active gives us speed from hiero node, so good to have at least one up at all times. They also warn you about p-mobs ahead.

Skeletons

Spoiler

well, they suck, compared to SRS, but if I'm feeling a little sad and the mobs are easy, I take out the convocation gem from my ring and put in a lvl 20 Vaal summon skeletons.

This beast only takes 32 souls, but floods your screen with scores of skeletons, more than enough for your fix. Convocation has its use in corridors, but in the open field why not have vaal skellies equipped more often?

Animated guardian

Spoiler

His name is Jimmy, but he just died recently, the first time this league. In any case, if you equip him right, he'll buff and slaughter and survive for a long time.

Generally I give AG the following equipment:

Leer cast (dmg buff) + Dying breath (dmg buff) + death's oath (chaos dmg) + southbound (keeps him alive)

that leaves boots, which should be survival based (here I chose ES)

The gloves, southbound, prohibit him from killing unfrozen enemies, which is nice, since it keeps him receiving on-kill chaos damage from Death's Oath. We don't freeze enemies, so that means he won't kill anything.

If only there were a way to check up on what Jimmy was wearing, I vendor so many decent boots in any given day.

One of the benefits of keeping Jimmy on weapon is I can hit 'x' and swap to secondary if danger is close.

Golem

Spoiler

So, this isn't really a skill, but since we're CI, his regen is pretty important. My initial motivation for this build was the redblade ring, which buffed golems and make a pretty brutal lightning golem, or three of them with dual clayshapers, but that won't work with this build for two reasons: no regen and aligns with summoner on EE.

Not much to say, if you use a golem in this build, it should be stone golem.

Movement

Spoiler

I like whirling blades. In this case, I've forgone the normal faster attacks gem for an aura, specifically haste, just not enough gems sockets for this build. It's a fair trade off, since the time per map is probably about the same, or even faster.

Dusk blade would also work, but I like culling and ES recharge.

Curses

Spoiler

There are so many curses you could do for this build. But I stick by my favorites, mostly because I like to drink while I play and need to survive bosses without having to remember to switch out curses.

Ball lightning (B) + Curse on Hit (B) + Enfeeble (B) + Temporal chains (G)

Ah, you recall, we're hiero, so there's a cool node that adds 20% AoE to glove skills. That means a larger curse radius, nice. With haste, you can easily outrun haste, so best to fire a ball forward and wait a sec to curse the enemies ahead. Since it's lightning, EE will switch and your spectres and SRS will have a hayday with their fire damage, -50% fire resistance. Remember, the SRS already have -20% fire resist, so a slaughter will ensue.

I probably should have stopped it early on, but ball lightning is leveling atm, and since I haven't been killed by reflect yet, who cares.

Auras

Spoiler

Recall, this used to be a guardian, so auras are his strength. I don't have many set up here, but the following are crucial.

Discipline (B) for keeping us alive, since we are CI, and helping out our spectres.
Haste (G), because faster is always better, and I have this awesome 21/20 haste that just needs to be used.

as well as
Increased duration (R) + vaal haste (G) + bone offering (B)

Vaal haste is awesome, just love hitting 'r' around big mobs, and I chose bone offering over flesh offering due to the enormous block, plus the passive node that links regen to minion block. TBH, those p mobs suck, and giving minions a timely bone offering goes a long way in ensuring their survival. poor Jimmy.

I also keep convocation around in a ring, but swap it out with Vaal summon skeletons when I feel risky and Vaal discipline when I feel the need to be tanky. Hard to beat a 20/20 vaal discipline, that's some mad ES, albeit a short one if you don't have inc dur nearby.

This shield, Victario's Charity is a must have for summoner builds. It not only boosts their stats, it pretty much guarantees full power and frenzy charges, OP. You gotta take the Necro Aegis, though, keep that in mind.

Desecrate
Spoiler

I only use this to summon zombies and spectres, but have it on switch 'x' as needed. You can find flame sentinels in Merc eternal lab, refresh if you just get garbage. Level it to 20 so that you can get strong corpses, but I never use this offensively.

Flasks

Spoiler

So, we're using this:

which means that our spectres and zombies get our flask effects, not us

This is pretty cool, since I launch the following flasks and they kill...kill...and kill some more

I don't recall who suggested the lion's roar, but that thanks, I like it.

Generally, since I like to drink while playing, I just swipe 1-5 everytime crap happens, it's no problem, but you do have to sober up a little for big bosses, maybe bring in a blood of karui to use with convo.

If you like opening chests, and who doesn't, you'll want to have some flasks for heat, dousing, etc, so just disable the belt before opening.

Also, it's wise to have a bleed flask that you can disable the belt and keep from dying, or just stop moving, whatever, it's your char.

Give the summoner some

Spoiler

So you've got some awesome minions, now, spectres that hit hard and expoit EE, zombies that thump..thump and poison the crap out of enemies, and SRS that self-cast from totems in swarms and also exploit EE.

But you've got crappy resistances and far too little str and dex to even equip good gems.

Well, we've still got an amulet and two rings, though, remember, both have to be unset rings.

You could, ofc, take all of those +30 dex and str nodes in passive, but why waste points? Just buy this:

to cover your attributes (you'll still need one +30 dex for top-level haste and vaal haste).

Also, try and get some awesome unset ES rings with triple resists, such as these beauties:

They cost me less than 10c each and let you cement your character early on.

Jewels

Spoiler

My passive tree has room for six jewels, which should include:

that energy within wheel near the witch, get a 12% jewel, they're pretty cheap. This gives you something like 52% ES, amazing.

Also, I'm going to try out this jewel, hopefully it gives the minions some additional heal. By casting bone offering, they have a pretty decent block chance.

the four other jewels I take all have:
16% minion dmg + 8-10% elemental resistance + plus something useful

If you're lucky, you can get some 15% single resistance or 10% dual resistance in addition to these basic modifiers.

Bandits

Spoiler

KillAll^3, unless you don't want to, whatever, it's your char, but those extra tree points are nice.

Stats

Spoiler

http://imgur.com/Z2Rw0SG

That makes 6.7k ES with 1.7k/sec recharge with discipline. Vaal discipline makes a monster; my ES is over 12k.

P-mobs

Spoiler

The worse thing that can happen to summons.

You can use the common strategy and convo out and heal from time to time,

OR

with this build, drag the p-mob to some corpse pile, find a good place to stand and religiously have a bone offering up for minion block, while spamming the flasks and and refreshing vaal haste. I haven't died or lost many minions to a p-mob in a while using this approach.

OR, though not recommended,

cast vaal summon skeletons and watch your computer slow to 1-3 fps.

Labyrinth

Spoiler

Your minions are barely affected by any traps, and the monsters are only lvl 68, so you should think about yourself here.

I equip these so that I have flasks effect, and haven't lost a single minion or died to Izzy in the laby. The belt boosts our ES and ES recharge rate.

The life flask is mostly here for dousing but also for trap movement, and the dual rumis are for block while with Izzy.

CI

Spoiler

Why CI? You don't even get flask effects, sounds dangerous.

Actually, it's much worse without CI, all that poison and chaos damage mean frequent death without flasks.

It might make you feel better to carry around a baited breath belt, which has moderate +ES and great recharge boost, as well as a staunch life flask. Then you'll have the ability to survive more, maybe, say in the labyrinth.

Main thing that can kill you fast is moving with bleed, so just stand there until it expires, at least you aren't guaranteed to die.

Last edited by KallasAK on May 4, 2016, 7:17:54 PM
Last bumped on Apr 30, 2016, 9:16:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info