[2.2] Overloaded Storm Call Heirophant

Tala Moana Exiles,

I present to you the Overloaded Storm Call Heirophant.

The "Elemental Overload" keystone added in 2.2 made tanky non crit casters much more viable damage wise. After experimenting with a few options, here is what I have really been enjoying playing to get the most out of the keystone. It is extremely fun to play and has a smooth leveling power curve.

I by no means claim this is the most meta, uber atziri twinned core viable build. However it is a build I am having great fun playing personally and if you want to do a budget friendly Storm Call build feel free to check it out. I have killed normal Atziri with this build but I took a few portals to do it. Without a strong movement skill like Whirling Blades we need more DPS to instantly kill her at the start of her split phase or things get really sketchy and you will die... alot.

Any questions about the build are of course welcome.

Level 77 Tropical Island Video

Offense
Spoiler

Tooltips

Storm Call: Our main DPS ability. You call, the sky obeys! In patch 2.2 Less Duration also gives a "More" damage modifier making this too good to pass up as it is a huge QoL boost to storm call reducing the delay between casting and one shotting.
Elemental Overload gives us 40% more damage with no other skill tree investment
Shock: Since Storm Call hits in such fast succession, even a short duration shock can make a huge difference in damage. With 4 power charges up we are looking at about a 16% crit chance combined with 15% chance to shock from the skill tree. With Orb of Storms setup 2 or 3 this is raised 14% giving us around 44% chance to shock which greatly increases our damage output if you choose to run it.
Vaal Storm Call: We can use a +1 level Vaal Storm Call nearly every pack. Heirophant's Illuminated Devotion gives it 20% penetration making it an effective 5 link.
Orb of Storms: Consistently procs Elemental Overload, keeps our power and endurance charges at max, and optionally can be used to apply curses. Since it is in our gloves it gets 20% increased AoE making it hit nearly everything on the screen.
Decree of Tempest: This fully scales with our lightning damage, spell power, and increased AoE doing a massive amount of damage all around us.

Defense
Spoiler

40% Mind over Matter with 1.5K+ unreserved mana pool
3 Endurance charges up most of the time with "Setup 1" of Orb of Storms
Lightning Coil + Purity of Lightning
Life Leech gem in our Storm Call links as well as a life/mana leech boot enchant
Bassalt flask helps greatly when dealing with physical damage
I am running T12 maps now without many issues with the above defenses

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
Very tanky for a caster with good sustain in engagements
Solid damage without going crit (Viable in early red maps with 5 link)
Solid clear speed and huge AoE
Only needs ~3ex worth of items to be viable in higher tier maps.
Heirophant's Illuminated Devotion gives us 3 effective 5 links before cruel making leveling much faster if you don't have a Tabula
Don't need to roll any crazy off colors on your lightning coil

Cons:
Less damage than a crit build
Storm call takes some getting used to since the damage is not instant
Can't run No Regeneration / Elemental Reflect mods

Skill Tree

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal: Oak
We take alot of life nodes on the tree making +40 life too good to pass up

Cruel: Alira
We don't take as much cast speed on the tree early so Alira helps out here

Merciless: Alira
You can also go Oak here, but I feel like I generate more endurance charges and shock more consistently with an extra power charge.

Links
Spoiler

Staff:
6L: Storm Call - Added Lightning Damage - Lightning Penetration - Less Duration - Life leech - Faster Casting
5L: Storm Call - Added Lightning Damage - Lightning Penetration - Less Duration - Life leech
4L: Storm Call - Added Lightning Damage - Lightning Penetration - Less Duration

Helmet: Vaal Storm Call - Increased Duration - Spell Echo - Added Lightning Damage

Chest: - Purity of Lightning

Gloves:
Setup 1: Orb of Storms - Increased Critical Strikes - Power Charge on Critical - Faster Casting
This is our main setup for Orb of Storms as it keeps up our Elemental Overload as well as all of our power and endurance charges. It provides the best balance of offense and defense for the build.

Setup 2: Orb of Storms - Increased Critical Strikes - Curse on Hit - (Conductivity|Enfeeble)
Alternate setup giving us more damage but less consistent power and endurance charges. Swap out conductivity for Enfeeble for a more defensive oriented setup.

Setup 3: Orb of Storms - Curse on Hit - Conductivity - (Elemental Weakness|Enfeeble)
If you are rich and can afford to get a +1 curse Atziri's Foible then you can run this for maximum DPS.

Boots:
Lightning Golem for damage or Stone Golem for suitability. I like to be able to switch between the two depending on map mods so I just socket them both.
Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Lightning Golem - Stone Golem

Ring: Wrath

Gearing
Spoiler

Staff:
As an MoM build Pledge of Hands is the obvious choice. In addition to giving us 100% more mana it gives a great deal of spell damage and a free level 30 spell echo for Storm Call

Helm:
We use Geofri's Crest for the +1 to level of Gems for our Vaal Storm Call as well as the Chaos resist:

Chest:
Any good rare chest will work here if you are on a budget but BIS is a Lightning Coil as it gives us a OPOP physical defenses and has mad synergy with purity of elements / topaz flask.

Gloves:
Any good rare will work here. Prioritize +HP and resistances and mana if you can get it as well. Decree of Tempest is our desired enchant as it does boatloads of damage due to scaling with spell power / lightning damage.

Boots:
Any good rare will work here. Prioritize 30% run speed, +HP and resistances and mana if you can get it as well. 0.5% Mana/Life leech enchant is what we are going for here as it gives our MoM even higher QoL

Amulet:
Obvious choice here is Atziri's Foible for +mana and regen

Rings 1
Prioritize +HP and resists. Cast speed and lightning damage if you can get it.

Ring 2
Essence Worm allows us to run Wrath for free. No brainer for our build as we have almost no free sockets:

Belt:
Prioritize HP, resists, and stun recovery.

Flasks
Spoiler

Nothing special here really but this is my recommended flask setup for maximum survivability and clear speed:

Last edited by SundialX on Apr 18, 2016, 11:26:29 PM
Last bumped on Jun 10, 2016, 12:55:44 AM
Nice guide. Would be interesting to see a cold conversion via The Brotherhood ring, to see if the closer mobs freeze long enough so your life doesn't dip. Thanks for sharing!
I am running 3 totem blood magic version of same concept. Before patch I was clearing pretty well up to T13ish, and then we got the buffs to spell totem and 3 totem so looking forward. Currently lvl 71 in PHC.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info