[2.2] Flicker Discharge, taking fakener to the next level

This guide is a work in progress, if you have any feedback or thoughts feel free to leave a comment.

Why flicker discharge?

I love flicker strike so I really wanted to try and make a perma flicker strike build that doesn't need to rely on 1 shotting mobs or using other abilites to alternate between flicker and charge generation. This left me with having to use either:

I've tried Oro's flicker and it works, however it didn't feel like it had alot of optimizations to be made, leaving the build to feel sort of done once you got the sword equipped.

This season [2.2] we got a huge crit boost to the Increased Critical Strikes gem giving it a base crit chance + we got asendancy for scion and shadow that both have ways to increase their base crit chance by going the assassin route. With this buff to base crit, Terminus Est can be used to perma flicker stacking enough crit chance.

And since the base damage of Terminus is mediocre at best we need to go CoC to be able to actually kill stuff in higher maps. This is where discharge comes into play. we already need FCs to actually use our flicker, PCs to gain enough crit chance to actually keep generating enough FCs to flicker. And optimally we'd need ECs for defense.

So with this already exsisting need for charges why not use the easy to scale, AoE, framekilling skill that is discharge?

How the build works

We are using Terminus Est's unique ability to generate Frenzy charges on critical strike to keep perma flicker up and to increase our discharge damage with Frenzy charges.

Like any fakener we use Voll's protector to generate Power charges to keep our crit chance up and to increase our discharge damage with Power charges.

We'd use Voll's devotion if we were rich to keep generating Endurance charges when we discharge our PCs to gain some phys damage reduction and to increase our discharge damage with the Endurance charges.

It's important to note that the wording on Terminus is different from Voll's Protector, Terminus way of generating charges works the same way as the PC on crit gem which will only ever give you 1 charge per crit where as Voll's could give you more depending on the amount of enemies hit.

This makes us want to use Blade Vortex to keep the generation alot more consistent (to the point where im almost always fully charged even vs single target) by always having BVs spinning around us hitting mobs while we flicker about. BV can be self cast or linked into your CoC to avoid the use of more then one button.

We play Scion to get the flat 1% crit chance from the assasin asendancy, which when combined with the increased critical strikes gem we end up at a total of 3% bonus flat crit chance meaning our Terminus has a 8% base crit chance.

Links

6L: Flicker strike - Multistrike - Cast On Critical Strike - Discharge - Increased Critical Strikes - Blade Vortex

If you want to swap something out or if you're running a 5L it'd be Blade Vortex to self cast it and then you can throw in pretty much what you want, conc effect for bosses etc.

4L: Warlords Mark - Blasphemy - Wrath - Enlighten(?)

We use Warlords Mark - Blasphemy to sustain the mana cost of our flicker and to gain some extra life leech. Wrath because most of our discharge damage is lightning. Not sure why you would need enlighten but it's the only support i can think of that doesn't rek your mana.

4L: Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster Attacks - Blood Magic

For when there are no mobs to keep you moving with flicker and also a way to trigger Fortify.

4L: Ice Golem - Reduced Mana - Minion Life(?) - Minion Resistance(?)

Had too much mana reserved to actually cast my high lvled Ice golem so had to link it with either Reduced Mana or Blood Magic and you might aswell give it some tankiness to avoid having to recast it as often.

3L: - Cast When Damage Taken - Increased Duration - Immortal Call

Not sure what to do about the rest of the links, like say if you have a 6L armour and a 6L Terminus, maybe a 6L Ice Golem or a 6L CWDT setup.

Passive Skill Tree and Leveling

While leveling you obviously can't go CoC til lvl 38 and you can't use Terminus before lvl 51. Before that just run tabula + whatever spell you want to use, theres lots of great guides out there for the early game leveling without investing points into the talent tree.

I don't have a 5L or 6L Volls
Run Tabula and swap out Discharge and BV with Ice and Shock Nova, It's by no means as good but if you really want to play this build as your first character this is one way of doing it. Assasin Asendancy will generate you max PCs which gives you enough crit chance to perma flicker as long as you dont discharge them.

This is the base for when you got Terminus est equipped.

My current tree, gonna switch around Elemental focus to +1 Endurance charges once I get Voll's Devotion, if I level I'll probably grab more HP nodes or the spell damage nodes towards Templar.

The build might work for shadow aswell, going the assasin asendancy but I have no ideas on how that passive tree would look and I'm not sure if It's better then Scions asendancy since it gives you flat crit chance per PC meaning you have to have atleast 2 PCs to be on par with the Scions always 1% crit. Not to metion the damage boost and life leech from Berserker.

Bandits
Oak-Kill All-Alira
Normal Oak because we are life based. We can't get enough ES without a shield and a proper ES armour to go ES.
Cruel we could go Kraitlyn for atk speed but I doubt it'd do us much, better just grab a skill point.
Merci Alira for PC, we have an easier time of staying at max PCs then FCs due to Voll's and we also gain crit chance from PCs which the build highly depends on, PC>all.

Gear

Not alot to talk about, since we aren't using a vagan weapon we need accuracy and since our tree already has several % accuracy nodes gettin high flat accuracy on rings and amulets is a huge bonus to the dps.

Obviously I'd swap out the amulet for a Voll's Devotion if I had one, ideally one with +1 FC.

I've been trying to get +1 PC on my Terminus by vaaling them but no luck so far, they are very cheap so if you're sitting on alot of Vaal orbs getting one shouldnt take too long.

Boots you could also try to get +1 FC on by vaaling and the same goes for the belt with EC when you got your Voll's Devotion

This is the only flask I'd thats not optional, sure you can do without but it really helps popping it to get the perma flicker going in the case that you dont crit on your first flicker strike.

For jewels try to get as many crit multipliers for discharge as possible or global crit chance for your Flicker.

Remember that Discharge counts as all element skills, meaning that this jewel right here gives discharge 48% Crit multiplier, and thats for ALL of its damage not just the lightning and cold.

Character Sheet Stats

Discharge stats with Ice golem + Wrath + 6PCs + 4FCs. (my current max)

Flicker Strike stats with Ice golem + Wrath + 6PCs + 4FCs .(my current max)

Flicker Strike stats with Ice golem + Wrath. (No charges)

My Defense without any ECs since I can't consistantly keep them up other then occasinal Warlords Mark proc.

Cons with the build

-Unable to run curse immune maps, no warlords mark, no mana, no flicker.

-Unable to run Ele reflect maps, we deal alot of elemental damage.

-Pretty squishy for a melee build.

-Its a Discharge build some pub groups don't like discharge.

-It's a Discharge build and a Flicker build, very seizure inducing and disorienting.

-I would not play this in a HC league, you probably shouldn't either.

-Probably not Atziri viable since theres no way to control Flicker Strike from hitting the mirror one. (Has not yet been tested)

Achievements and pros with the build

-I've managed to hit level 90 playing it all the way from around level 60 starting out with a tabula and double nova til I managed to 6L my Voll's Protector.

-Very fast clear speed, you're using a movement skill to actually kill and clear stuff.

-Hipster approved, it's gimmicky and it's attention grabbing what more do you want.

-It's basically fakener with another weapon and flicker instead of cyclone meaning all the info out there for fakener builds apply to this one aswell in most cases.

-Able to clear T10+ maps. (Not sure how far I've pushed it yet but I'm sure its atleast T12)

-Flicker Strike auto targets mobs and moves you forward (in most cases), playing this build requires little to no work as long as you're holding down right click.

Videos
Might add videos if I get around to recording and uploading any.
Last edited by Royick on Apr 10, 2016, 5:28:31 PM
Last bumped on Jan 18, 2017, 11:37:37 AM
Want to see video of this, sounds madly, and what about discharge, it will be consume frenzy mean stop flickering.
played both variant of this build already,it is really fun even on HC till You die cause POE bad optimisation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrbLxRAltts

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info