[2.2] Generic windripper inquisitor guide

Changelog:
Spoiler

April 11:
Spoiler

Added the enchantments section

April 6:
Spoiler

Updated the links, auras part as I progressed to level 83 and noticed some things that could be polished

Pros:
Spoiler

Can do any +resist map mod without losing on clearspeed
Killing rares and blues as fast as blues
Don't have to spec into a single element to get the penetration, any added elemental dmg has th same value for us

Cons:
Spoiler

Can be really expensive, depending on the jewelry you use, but the start budget is at least 3 exalts
On ele-reflect maps you penetrate your own resistances, not always, since your evasion reduces the chance to receive a crit, but when it happens you are done

Funky image

First of all I would not advice to try this build if I were a beginner (start budget 3 exalts), it is expensive and requires a leveling build until like lv 50-60.

Inquisitor ignores ele resistances on crit, which is just great for any crit build, also allows us to scale different types of elemental dmg, without losing any of our dmg.

The difficulty comes with the pathing of the passive tree, however it is rather easy to cap the crit once you picked up all the crit nodes next to the main path.

Little preview of my tornado shot tooltip at lv 78 with charges and flasks up, gems are level 17.
Spoiler

With capped crit:

With not caped crit:

However righteous providence gives us +100% inc crit chance if the target is not affected by statuses and assasins mark also adds 9% flat, but even without those if you are using a diamond flask, it should feel like, it is capped.

Current tree:

Planned final tree:

Basic leveling trees:
Spoiler

You grab freezing pulse or any other spell you like to level with, some ele and spell dmg in the beggining, then path to phase acro, after that you can start to get the life nodes

Basically this pathing allows us to use Static eletricity early, as the 2 main cluster for it is reached, at lv 50 you can grab a

And modify the tree to work with attacks instead of spells.

Getting a few more life nodes, crit nodes, accuracy in the duelist area is really important

Bandits:
Spoiler

Normal: help Oak
Cruel: kill all for passive
Merciles: either power or frenzy charge, or the passive, depends on what you need more

Ascendancy:
Spoiler

We have to pick inquisitor, no other option.

This 4 point end is a must.
As for the last 2 points, it is up to you, I picked Augury on Penitence, since it equals having +1.25% max resist.
Instrumets of virtue is an equally good option, but I did not fel the need of that attack speed.

Recommended gear:
Spoiler

Weapon:

You could grab a good rare ele bow too, but since windripper is extremely cheap this league, I would not pick anything else over it, also the iiq and iir helps a lot.

Basic crit build helmet, nothing to explain here.

It is a nice gloves, mainly for leveling, but once we capped crit, there is no need for it, has no life, low evasion, so for lategame I would use a rare instead with accuracy, life and resists.

I like this boots very much, also we are playingwith phase acro, so this helps us a lot to survive.
Alternatively any rare boots can be used as long as it has movespeed and life on it.

If you really want that crit and the iir, however it crates crazy laggs sometimes, when you hit to many enemies.

Almost every build uses it, great dmg and survivability boost, nothing else.

Since we use acro, we dance with dead every time there is a large amount of phys dmg, pretty much best in slot flask.

Alternatively a basalt can be used instead of it, but having both of them is a really defensive option.

Chestpiece:

Obvious best in slot for acro builds, but also is expensive and screws up your resists.

A really nice, balanced chest, however a linked one can cost a lot too.

I recommend buying a cheap 6link evasion based body armor and then to craft it, got this beauty for 3 exalts, then crafted it, while an LC goes for 11-12 exalt, belly 8-10, this is easily on pair with them.

Would not really use this just for the 6link, you lose a ton of life just because of this, as an option a 5link can be bought for a few chaos, like this one bellow, you lose some dmg, but the life and resists is superior compared to that.

Quiver:

Life, resists, %wed, crit chance, accuracy, depending on what you need.

Try to search for quivers with open affixes, as they can be way cheaper that way.

Jewelry:

Spoiler
Picking the right ones can be hard, since they are either too expensive or it takes a lot time to get what you want.

Basically the thing you need is %increased weapon elemental dmg, life, accuracy, resist, flat elemental dmg in this order.

Theese are the ones I use.

Jewels:
Spoiler

I picked up exactly 3 jewel sockets on the final tree, and they will provide us flat elemental dmg.

Should be placed in the socket we have in the strength area, maybe looks like it is a minor boost, but you will have at least 3 buff on yourself, also this is a bad rolled one, check the gamepedia for further information:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Mantra_of_Flames
You might just use something else in this socket, like

(phys dmg ruins it, but still is quite decent)

Our other unique jewel of choice is

They go to the dex slots, each provides us 1-60 flat lightning dmg, which is a lot.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Static_Electricity

Options for links:
Spoiler

5 link:
Tornado shot (or your area clear attack)- added cold or light - WED - faster attacks - GMP

Cold has more consistent dmg, while lightning either hits nothing or splits the earth into 2 pieces, no idea why it has to have this dmg range in every single game

6link: either increased critical strikes or the other added elemental dmg, alternatively Elemental focus can be used as it gives us a multiplier and fixes Righteous providence to grant us 100% crit chance, but we can't shock and shatter, which is bad.

Faster attacks can be replaced with pierce or chain for the tornado shot setup, gives more reliable pack clear, and you will be less mana hungry.
In this case pierce is the lazy option, since you don't have to swap gems on bosses.

Single target setup ( if you use tornado shot, then it is not needed):
5link:
Frenzy/blast rain/whatever - added light/cold -wed -faster attacks - elemental focus
6link.
other added dmg or inc crits

Auras:
Wrath is easily the best aura we can use, gives us a ton of lightning dmg.
Anger is the other option, way more consistent dmg, little less average (so we lose some tooltip dps), Actually I think I will switch over to this.

Heralds:
Either ice or thunder, I prefer ice, because of shatter and the consistency.
You can link curse on hit and assasin's mark to it, lazy solution to generate charges.

If you don't want to waste a curse on power charge generation or you are in a party where you can't get killing blow, then make a 4link setup for split arrow:
Split arrow- pcoc- faster attacs - wed

Cast when damage taken stup:
cwdt (level 1 or 2) - ice golem - enfeeble - imortal call (for porcupines, but 90% of the time you don't take dmg from them because of shatter/dodge/eva)

Use a blood rage to generate frenzy charges.

Enchantments:
Spoiler

Helmet: as for tornado shot the best one is the 60% crit chance, the extra secondary projectile is really good too, so if you are trying to farm it by yourself, then you can stop at that one, but raw crit is always the best for us.

Boots: there are a few options, flat fire dmg if you have killed recently, flat lightning dmg if you haven't killed recently, spell dodge is sweet as well.

I use the 2nd option, because of bosses like atziri, where there are no adds to generate charges, this is an insane dmg boost.

Gloves:
No real idea about theese enchants, should probably do a little testing and lab farming, but first I need to figure out what I want to use as my gloves, as maligaros is definately not the one I want to use lategame.

Last edited by krenderke on Apr 12, 2016, 5:50:24 AM
Last bumped on May 29, 2016, 8:16:32 AM
thank you for this.
I just found a Windripper and have a Templar I can respec, looking forward to how it works out.
"
Ooma wrote:
thank you for this.
I just found a Windripper and have a Templar I can respec, looking forward to how it works out.

I'm always happy when someone finds my guides useful, also thanks for commenting.

As far as I played with it (still quite low level, 83, so tier 9 was the highest I did) doing maps is really easy, just shreads trough rare monsters and magic packs.

If you have any specific question, feel free to ask.

Also I updated the recommended links and auras, you might want to check it out, nothing important, but allows you to optimize it for your playstyle.
Last edited by krenderke on Apr 6, 2016, 5:58:23 AM
well, I am impressed with this build! it is fun and at lev 77 he is amazingly strong... I was lucky, I had several gems at 20/20 in stash.
I am giving him a ballista, I love that thing up front,
thanks again
:)

Added enchantments section, will update the tooltip and add multiple options on the final tree as soon as I get my gems to 20.
dude how much hp u have? it looks really low
170% maxlife is not low for a build like this, but let me patch the game and log in to take a screenshot for you.
http://i.imgur.com/dhjAeDW.jpg
It is around 5k as you can see.
Last edited by krenderke on May 29, 2016, 8:16:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info