[2.2] Army of Zoom (with Video) - Necromancer SRS, Spectre, Zombie build

You can watch me playing this build live at https://www.twitch.tv/tholan1000.

Video of Map Clear at Level 78: Still have a lot of levels to go and its speed is already pretty insane. It's a tier 5 Bog map. Haven't even found Zana yet. I even almost ripped on this map to a rogue exile. You can push yourself so fast that you can walk into something dangerous without knowing it. Or there is so much going on on your screen, it can make it difficult to see dangers at times. I also have not yet rolled bubbling on my mana flask. Short on Glassblowers. Anyway, it should give a decent feel for the build.
https://youtu.be/FV284pHg5e0

Tier 10 Necropolis clear with Zana inner Dungeon map. Started at 84. Came out 85 ;-).
https://youtu.be/4bI4uAkFWGo

Please note that this is not new player friendly guide. If you are just getting started and wish to level your character as a Summoner, check out my Starting as a Summoner video guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8zjch6WDls.

Now before I get too far into the guide I would like to give credit where it is due. This build is largely based off of AngryAA's "SRS, Spectre Necromancer" which you can find on the forums here http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1607083. I have made a few significant changes however which I would like to outline.

Gear

Victario's Charity is certainly a new class defining unique and brings Summoner play to a whole new level. It is something I feel Summoners have needed for quite some time. And yet it does not feel overpowered since giving up that shield loses your chance to block and those much coveted resists and other stats often found on a shield. But we gladly give this power to our Minions so that they may pave our path for us.

The primary abilities of the shield are of course the chance for all nearby allies to gain frenzy and power charges. You need to grant all shield bonuses to your Minions by taking the Necromantic Aegis key stone on the skill tree. Your Minions can have 3 frenzy and 3 power charges. That is a huge boost to minion attack/cast speed (15% increased per frenzy charge), increased move speed (15% per frenzy charge), MORE damage (4% per frenzy charge) and chance to crit (%200 per power charge). This gives you an army of super charged, super fast, super hard hitting minions. And to top it all off, you get the charges as well providing you with 4% increased cast and move speed per frenzy charge.

How you gear from here can allow for a lot of flexibility as long as you consider your build carefully as losing your shield will make you extra squishy. You need to be prepared for that when you make the transition. Most of my gear recommendations are similar to AngryAAs so please refer to his guide that I linked above. Here are the differences.

I would not recommend going with a Tabula Rasa as the loss of stats (health, armour, resists) makes you just too squishy. In my case this is especially true since I am not going all the way to "Acrobatics" on the skill tree. I feel the cost is just too high for what you get. A 30% chance to dodge is nice but it is pseudo-random so you can still get a couple of hard hits back to back. Evasion is based on an "entropy" system meaning it is less likely to get many hard hits in a row and many misses in a row. And to top it off, you lose 50% armour and energy shield. This greatly diminishes the value of running "Discipline" and various keystone you get throughout the skill tree like "Sanctity" and "Sentinel". As such, I recommend to not get Acrobatics and instead invest in a solid armour/shield chest piece. A good 400 armour, 100 shield chest 5 link only costs a few chaos. And you save yourself a bunch of skill points which you can invest elsewhere.

End Game Passive Tree

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDAQQHBLMGSQj0DlwQlxNsFm8W8xzcHRQi4iL0JKok2CY8KPoqTSqYL50y0TWSNuk5CzpYOuE_J0GHRAREikVHRX5FnUZxR4VH4krITLNNuVFMU1JUglXGVytakWjyakNqrGr6a9tsC20Zbqpvnn0YfVuCx4MJg9uFMoVghW2IQI8aj0aQM5MnmuCbipuhoS-iAKPvpDmmrKcIqH2qxKxHrJiwd7Xytz64k7zqvYK-T76Kv5fAVMBmyT3KSsy80B_T-9WB2CTYvdkL2V7fiuNq6QLr7u_r8B_yHvJF99f56PqA-tL-Cv6B_rM=

A big focus of this build, aside from the obvious minion focus, is its cast and move speed. Cast speed, and to a lesser extent move, is life in this game. The more time you spend in one spot spamming skills, the more likely your are to get hit. So the faster you can cast what you need to cast and keep moving, the better. And this of course has the benefit of fast clear speed.

The other point to note is some investment into your Auras. You are not a full Aura bot since you are only running 2, but you can get 16% increased Aura effect for only 4 skill points. A worthy investment.

Gem Links

+2 Helm: Raise Zombie + Animate Guardian + Minion Life + Fortify. Before you are ready for your AG, run Minion Resistances. Don't be afraid to get him some decent gear. I used armour gear with a lot life with high armour and some resists (remember that Victorio's Charity has lightning resist on it which will be applied to all your minions). Head and weapon you will be running Dying Breath and Leer Cast of course.

Essence Ring 1: Haste. I find this to nearly be a must when running with Minions. Move, attack and cast speed are all extremely valuable when it comes to the effectiveness of your minions.

Essence Ring 2: Hatred. For a Summoner build, Hatred is the best damage scaling Aura. Run Purity of Elements before you have enough resists on your gear and three minion resist jewels on the skill tree.

Weapon: Desecrate + Spell Echo + Summon Stone Golem. The important thing here is having Desecrate on Spell Echo. The fast extra corpses ensures you and your minions will get maximum benefit from Flesh Offering as quickly as possible. Quickly casting 6 corpses instead of 3 also means you won't have to cast your offering as often, nor will you need to get duration passive skills from the skill tree. This leaves more time for you to be moving around, or spamming SRS.

Gloves: Flesh Offering + Convocation + Increased Duration + Faster Casting. Anything that you are casting during combat should be on faster casting or spell echo. Again, speed is life. The extra duration of course means you won't need to cast offering as often and your minions will be healed for a longer period of time when you convocate.

Armour: Summon Raging Spirits + Minion Damage + Spell Echo + Melee Splash + Melee Physical + Multistrike/Empower. Typical SRS 6L setup.

Shield: Flame Dash + Summon Skeletons + Faster Casting. Flame Dash can be replaced with Whirling Blades as your movement skill. Summon Skeletons can be swapped out if desired but I like having it for certain situations. You can spam it at the start of a number of fights for a bit more DPS and it also allows you to place some DPS exactly where you want it and then move on. I find this useful for Malachai.

Boots: Raise Spectre + Minion Damage + Spell Echo + Poison. For Spectres, you will be running Undying Evangelists. They scale best with the Hatred Aura as well as Poison. Their pack clear speed is awesome, their single target damage is amazing and they have the defense shield to boot. When running Hatred, running 4 links is more than enough freeing up your SRS to benefit from your 5/6 link. Using Spectres that deal elemental damage pretty much requires you to be running 5 or 6 links to be as effective. And they of course don't have the shield bubble.

Bandits: Kill, Kill, Kill

[Update]
Alternative Bandits: 40 Life, 5% Cast Speed, +1 Frenzy Charge

For Summoner builds, I have always been partial to the extra flexibility of having 3 more skill points over the benefits of the bandits. It is easy to change one skill point into 30 dex, or 10% increased effectiveness of Auras, or 30% recovery from life flasks + 6% life, etc... But the synergy provided by the above bandit rewards I think is pretty nice. Feel free to go either way.

[Update 2]
One of the viewers on the You Tube video guide pointed out that you can still use Victario's Charity even without taking Necromantic Aegis. This can work with the "Curse on Hit" build that is fairly popular in the current Summoner Meta. Please note that this is a fairly different build than the one outlined here as you don't get any Frenzy charges and your minions will rarely get Power charges as you don't do much of the killing, but I thought I would throw that out there in the spirit of completeness.
Last edited by Tholan on Apr 12, 2016, 12:34:18 AM
Last bumped on Jul 10, 2016, 9:51:34 PM
Just added another guide describing how to get your starting summoner to an end game summoner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYZPJKI44k

Just added a video of a Tier 10 Necropolis map:
https://youtu.be/4bI4uAkFWGo
Bad ass build. Pretty high damage so far. Leveling is a breeze and because enough people haven't really given it credit, its cheap for now. Definitely hc viable. Well done mate and thanks for the post.
"
And to top it off, you lose 50% armour and evasion. This greatly diminishes the value of running "Grace"

Taking the Acrobatics Keystone does not affect evasion, it affects energy shield; Using grace X Acrobatics places no penalty on the amount of evasion rating you receive.
gimme money bitch
Hey Tholan,

I've been playing your build and its pretty fun so far (level 40 currently), but I had a question about the skill tree:

If we drop Reflexes, we can drop all of the nodes leading up to it (and connect Necromantic aegis up from the jewel socket on the right side), leaving us with 5 extra skill points.

What are your thoughts on this?
And what should we spend the points on instead? I took a cursory look, but nothing really jumps out.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDAQQHBkkI9A5cEJcTbBZvFvMXLxzcHRQi9CSqJLAk2CY8KPoqmC9vL50y0TWSNuk5CzpYOuFBh0QERUdFfkWdRnFHhUrITLNNuU3jU1JVxlcrWpFqQ2qsavpr22wLbRluqnC7fRh_xoCkgseDCYPbhTKFYIVtiECPGo9GkDOTJ5rgm4qboaEvplemrKcIqH2qxKyYsHe0DLXytz64k7zqvYK-T76Kv5fAVMHFyT3K08y80B_T-9WB2CTYvdkL2RPZXt-K4YjjaukC6-7sGO_r8h7yRffX-ej6gPrS_gr-gf6P_rM=
"
Atlantae wrote:
"
And to top it off, you lose 50% armour and evasion. This greatly diminishes the value of running "Grace"

Taking the Acrobatics Keystone does not affect evasion, it affects energy shield; Using grace X Acrobatics places no penalty on the amount of evasion rating you receive.

Thanks for the correction Atlantae. I misread the keystone. I have updated the guide to refer to ES and Discipline.
Last edited by Tholan on Apr 10, 2016, 11:31:51 PM
"
Pin_Cracker wrote:
Hey Tholan,

I've been playing your build and its pretty fun so far (level 40 currently), but I had a question about the skill tree:

If we drop Reflexes, we can drop all of the nodes leading up to it (and connect Necromantic aegis up from the jewel socket on the right side), leaving us with 5 extra skill points.

What are your thoughts on this?
And what should we spend the points on instead? I took a cursory look, but nothing really jumps out.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDAQQHBkkI9A5cEJcTbBZvFvMXLxzcHRQi9CSqJLAk2CY8KPoqmC9vL50y0TWSNuk5CzpYOuFBh0QERUdFfkWdRnFHhUrITLNNuU3jU1JVxlcrWpFqQ2qsavpr22wLbRluqnC7fRh_xoCkgseDCYPbhTKFYIVtiECPGo9GkDOTJ5rgm4qboaEvplemrKcIqH2qxKyYsHe0DLXytz64k7zqvYK-T76Kv5fAVMHFyT3K08y80B_T-9WB2CTYvdkL2RPZXt-K4YjjaukC6-7sGO_r8h7yRffX-ej6gPrS_gr-gf6P_rM=

Would you be giving up Harrier? I would find it tough to give up that keystone. You also lose the dex nodes, which this build lacks. You would have to make it up with gear or take an extra 30 dex node. If you did have extra points to spend though, there are three places I think you could spend them.

1. Instead of kill, kill, kill for bandits, go 40 Life, 5% cast speed and extra Frenzy charge. This build has you nearly always at max Frenzies. An extra would make it even Zoomier. 😄

2. Dump them into the life wheel or the life flask nodes.

3. Cast speed on the other side of the Witch starting node.
Last edited by Tholan on Apr 10, 2016, 11:39:02 PM
I'd keep Harrier; I briefly considered dropping it, but casting speed & movement speed seemed really good at the cost of only one point (I dont think attack speed helps our minions, and we are nearby because of Necromantic Aegis anyway).

Regarding the loss of dex, the 30 dex notables can give us the lost dex back, costing us only 2 points instead of 5, should we need it. So far I'm always short on dex like you said, but gear covers it most of the time.

I've already killed my bandits in normal, but I think I'll do as you said and help Alira & Kraityn on higher difficulties.(Switching to oaks favor is too expensive for me at this point, maybe in the future.)

That leaves me with 1-3 points depending on if I need the dex notables, which I will spend on the life nodes next to Mind over Matter, as you suggested.

An alternative could be to get the 30 strength notable(s).
I'm not sure if the 15 flat life from strength scales well enough with this build that it outperforms the 4% from the life nodes. I would have to do the math for that, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Considering I will go for option 1, the remaining skillpoint(s) make option 3 not viable anymore, as we cannot reach it.

Thank you for the reply, Tholan.
@Tholan:
Your tree has inefficiencies. You bought out the Scion life wheel around Constitution. Take out four 5% life nodes (20% total) and put them toward Discipline and Training in the Templar area. For the same four points, you get 20% life, +30 flat life, 10 STR (another 5 flat life), 10 INT (5 MoM mana and 2% ES), and 5% Cast Speed. Sanctity, for one more point, is also fantastic.

@Pin_Cracker:
The tree you posted has 123% life, 20 flat life and another 32 from STR. At level 100 you get a base 1238 life. Add the other flat life for 1290 life.

Thus:

4% life node = 51.6 life (1290 * 0.04)
5% life node = 64.5 life (1290 * 0.05)
40 flat life from Oak = 89.2 life (40 * 2.23)

Now, life on your gear will increase the worth of the 5% node by 5 per 100 hp. If you had 500 life from items, a 5% node would be worth 89.5. Getting that much when you have Bones of Ullr boots, two Essence Worm rings, and Necromantic Aegis will be very difficult (only 6 item slots to get life on). And you probably aren't level 100 yet.

This is why if you are going Life, you take Oak.
Last edited by Hercanic on Apr 11, 2016, 9:42:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info