The Labyrinth is not fun

Up untill this point I have always liked the expansions to PoE, harder bosses, new areas, higher map tier. They have all been fitting very nice into the game. But then came the labyrinth, and im sorry to say it GGG, but I was really disapointed at it.

When it was releasted, i thought i would start of slow, and complete the labyrith on normal. I took my lvl 90 char, with 9k+ hp, only to find out that all of the traps ripped me appart in like a second. So much for the feeling that i had done something right with my build, and made a powerfull char.

When i was finally able to enter the labyrinth, I found out that it was really really long, and that you had no ability to save your progress midway (or in the room before izaro). So the first time i died in there, I was really disapointed, becouse the last half our of my life has been for nothing. Normally when you die, you loose some progress, but you still have the gear you found, and the gem lvl that you have earned. This is not the case in the labyrinth, as you dont kill too many monsters. So it was completely wasted, which is not a very fun feeling.

When i finally finished the labyrinth in all difficulties, with blood sweat and tears, I really never wanted to do it again. But then I found out how nice some of the enchantments are, and i kind of feel like i have to do the labyrinth over and over again.

The labyrinth feels like a completely different game than PoE. The reason I have a lvl 90 char in the first place, is becouse i really like PoE, and not some "run around and avoid things" game. So when you put great rewards at the end of the labyrinth, it feels like you are forcing me to play a game i really dont like, to get the full potential out of the game I really like.
Last bumped on Mar 20, 2016, 8:18:58 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Willemoesium wrote:
The labyrinth feels like a completely different game than PoE.

Yes, that is what makes it so awesome - a different experience from the grinding of maps.

As for progress, how much progress do you lose if you die at lvl 90? at 95? Certainly more than half an hour.

The traps are designed in such a way that you have to avoid them. If you could just tank them, where would the challenge be? You have to show that you are good at not just making a build or following a build guide and acquiring gear, but at actually controlling your character and making good choices while in game. If you are, you are worthy of ascending.

The typical gear check is thrown into the mix as well (Izaro, though he does require some skill).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
{forum hiccup, double post}
Last edited by Char1983 on Mar 18, 2016, 3:34:15 PM
"
really really long

xD

"
last half our of my life has been for nothing.

xDD

Sorry but:

1. if it take you long time on lvl 90 char to beat lab your char is weak

2. you did not lost any time, you learned about lab and next time it will be easier/faster.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Mar 18, 2016, 3:40:44 PM
"
Char1983 wrote:
Yes, that is what makes it so awesome - a different experience from the grinding of maps.

If you would like another experiance than PoE, you can just play another game. I just dont like it to be forced into PoE, which it does not at all fit into.
"
Willemoesium wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:

If you would like another experiance than PoE, you can just play another game. I just dont like it to be forced into PoE, which it does not at all fit into.

Lab is great part of poe, it add new things that fit very well in wreaclast.

If you want play old poe dont get asc class and grind maps like you did in 2.1.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Mar 18, 2016, 3:46:44 PM
"
Willemoesium wrote:

The labyrinth feels like a completely different game than PoE. The reason I have a lvl 90 char in the first place, is becouse i really like PoE, and not some "run around and avoid things" game. So when you put great rewards at the end of the labyrinth, it feels like you are forcing me to play a game i really dont like, to get the full potential out of the game I really like.

Yes, you are exactly correct and many people do not like this expansion for this reason. Unfortunately, there are several vocal proponents who seem to have made it their life's mission to shout down anyone to posts this criticism. They will call into question your work ethic (to slog through this nonsense), intelligence, skill, play style, and value as a PoE player. The whole point of an RPG is to avoid bringing player skill into equation, except in generating and maintaining the character.

I am concerned about GGG, since this kind of change shows disregard for the player base and a lack of imagination for creating new content. There are so so many things in this game that need work that it hasn't reached the full potential promised by the original elements and adding this kind of crap is just another distraction.
"
Willemoesium wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:

So who decides what fits into a game and what doesn't?

"
Vortextreme wrote:
The whole point of an RPG is to avoid bringing player skill into equation, except in generating and maintaining the character.

This is new to me. I am very happy that GGG shows with the labyrinth that they don't think so, which makes me hope even more for future expansions. Before, I have never been really excited about upcoming or future expansions, now I am.

Also, you call "lack of imagination" for adding the labyrinth? Uhm....
"
Char1983 wrote:

This is new to me. I am very happy that GGG shows with the labyrinth that they don't think so, which makes me hope even more for future expansions. Before, I have never been really excited about upcoming or future expansions, now I am.

From RPG WIKI:
"
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]

This above is related to tabletop, but for RPG videogames:
"
Character actions and abilities
Character information and inventory screen in a typical computer role-playing game...
Most of the actions in an RPG are performed indirectly, with the player selecting an action and the character performing it by their own accord.[3] Success at that action depends on the character's numeric attributes. Role-playing video games often simulate die-rolling mechanics from non-electronic role-playing games to determine success or failure. As a character's attributes improve, their chances of succeeding at a particular action will increase.[3]

Playing an ARPG you assume a bit more responsibility for more directly controlling the char, but success or failure should still depend primarily on char abilities. The player's ability to avoid traps and run bypasses RPG mechanics entirely.

Yes, lack of imagination. Running through traps and such is an ancient game play mechanic. 30-40 years ago game consoles or proto-PCs like TI-994a were not powerful enough to do much else. I've already played those games and I don't want to play them again.
Last edited by Vortextreme on Mar 18, 2016, 4:38:00 PM
"
Vortextreme wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:

From RPG WIKI:
"
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]

This above is related to tabletop, but for RPG videogames:
"
Character actions and abilities
Character information and inventory screen in a typical computer role-playing game...
Most of the actions in an RPG are performed indirectly, with the player selecting an action and the character performing it by their own accord.[3] Success at that action depends on the character's numeric attributes. Role-playing video games often simulate die-rolling mechanics from non-electronic role-playing games to determine success or failure. As a character's attributes improve, their chances of succeeding at a particular action will increase.[3]

Playing an ARPG you assume a bit more responsibility for more directly controlling the char, but success or failure should still depend primarily on char abilities. The player's ability to avoid physically traps and run around bypasses RPG mechanics entirely.

Yes, lack of imagination. Running through traps and such is an ancient game play mechanic. 30-40 years ago game consoles or proto-PCs like TI-994a were not powerful enough to do much else. I've already played those games and I don't want to play them again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info