[2.2 Raider] Viper Strike Build Fast, Fun and Cheap to Start [Video Guide]

Hi this is a build with a fast play style and high dps using poison viper strike. Dps comes from 8 frenzy charges and Atziri's promise to stack more then 10 poison charges on the target a second. With melee splash and increased aoe the skill can hit many mobs at once. In addition this build can do any map mods.

There is an assassin shadow version of this build found here

Videos

Raider Skill Tree
Spoiler
Skill Tree
Raider Dual Wield
Raider With Shield
Jewels
For the Jewel sockets you want

Ascendancy Class
Grab Way of the Poacher, Rapid Assault, and Avatar of the Slaughter
Bandits
Kill all (could also help oak)
Help Kraityn (could also kill all)
Help Kraityn

Gear/Links
Spoiler

Main Skill Links
Can swap in added chaos instead of increased aoe for single targets or more dmg if needed

How to Find Weapons
For the main weapon you want the highest physical dps weapon you can find. Two main ways to find one are:
poe.trade
Spoiler
You can find cheap weapons on poe.trade by looking searching generic 1h melee weapon under type and setting a max price you want to pay under misc buyout max (i would recommend 5-10c). After clicking search click the number under pDPS. Scroll down from the top until you find a sword, dagger, or claw. Once you find one that you want click whisper then go into game and click the chat and press CTRL V and you will whisper the person to buy their item

Self Found
Spoiler
The main thing to do is figure out what types of weapons can be good for you then pick up every weapon like that and id it too see if it is better then yours. To quickly check just look at the physical% roll or added physical roll if one is high then you can take it too your sharpening wheel and if you have levels in Vagan you might be able to add some physical%, added physical, or attack speed.
Some of the yellow items too look out for are:
Eternal Sword
Tiger Hook
Jewelled Foil
Dragoon Sword
Throat Stabber
Hellion's Paw
Eye Gouger
Imperial Claw
Gemini Claw
Terror Claw
Ambusher
Ezomyte Dagger
Imperial Skean
Sai
Code to make them show up with a blue border in your loot filter
Spoiler
Show
BaseType "Tiger Hook" "Jewelled Foil" "Dragoon Sword" "Throat Stabber" "Hellion's Paw" "Eye Gouger" "Imperial Claw" "Gemini Claw" "Terror Claw" "Ambusher" "Ezomyte Dagger" "Imperial Skean" "Sai" "Eternal Sword"
SetBorderColor 0 0 255

Main Hand:
Try to get high attack speed weapon with the most physical dps you can find. Found this sword for only 14c on poe.trade

Off Hand
To shield or not to shield?
Spoiler
By equipping 2 weapons you character gets 10% more attack speed, 15% block chance, and 20% more physical dmg. The word more is very important because it multiplies not adds to your other stats.
A shield gives you MASSIVE amounts of evasion because of the nodes on the tree that increase the stats given by shields. Also the shield gives you around 30% block.

This off hand does not do dmg but instead give you the duel wield bufs and the bufs on the weapon for free.

Rares
The other gear is for life, evasion, and resits
Don't need move speed on boots because whirling blades is enough to move around

Jewelry
You are mostly looking for added physical, resists, and life

Flasks

Leveling
Spoiler
I leveled with viper strike from the first zombie too lvl 88. The skill is slow at first but when you get multi strike in act 4 normal it feels great to play.

Skill Tree
While leveling get the ranger nodes then shadow nodes then get the duelist nodes. Skip any jewel sockets until you have the growing agony jewel. Skip vaal pact and the chaos dmg nodes near it until maps.

Gear
Gearing this character is easy while leveling you are just looking for resists, life, and evasion on your armor. Keeping your weapon near you lvl is the hardest part but if you ever can't find one poe.trade usually has some good weapons for very cheap.

Some tips for leveling are:
Use blaspheme and Poacher's Mark until you get mana leech and life leech
is very cheep and will carry you until you can get a lighting coil.

EDITS
Spoiler
edit 1 added new link setup for offhand
edit 2 added a new head with link set up if you are using a chest
edit 3 fixed up the skill tree for shield still had some duel wield nodes :(
Last edited by Rumdum on Apr 3, 2016, 4:51:12 PM
Last bumped on Nov 30, 2016, 1:37:34 AM
Ha, nice! first in the new thread.
Playing your build now, level 33 just entering the mines in norm. Using Viper Strike + Melee Splash, and haven't been able to throw any more supports on there yet because i'm doing totally self-found (by necessity, I don't have shit in Perandus). Not really sure if I will end up going dual-wield or using a shield, we'll see if I'm having problems with survivability or not.
Thanks for posting the build, I'm enjoying it so far, and thanks for separating the assassin and ranger builds. I'll come back and let you know how I'm doing when I get further.
hi glad you like it! yea had to separate them it was getting way to confusing for me :P
Just wondering, why did you remove acrobatics and added in Iron Reflexes?
Imo, I dont think this is a realy good build. the fact that you dont go crit AND you dont go RT (Normaly you'd get either one of them) makes me wonder if this is any good, as an offhand I would pick up soul taker so you can run 2x a 50% aura determ + grace + IR is pretty sick.

This is just what I think, besides I soley play hardcore.
Just what future the Designer of the universe has provided for the souls of men I do not know, I cannot prove. But I find that the whole order of Nature confirms my confidence that, if it is not like our noblest hopes and dreams, it will transcend them.
Last edited by here2peer on Mar 16, 2016, 5:34:17 AM
"
_Nicz14_ wrote:
Just wondering, why did you remove acrobatics and added in Iron Reflexes?

I got IR over acrobatics for a few reasons. First it works better with flasks because you can use
and for me get 30k armor and to get the block chance higher so you could even use a Rumi's Concoction if you wanted too. Second it is cheaper because to make evasion work you would need a lighting coil and maybe a Taste of Hate to be fully safe. Last it is easier to play with armor because the monsters that can kill you are the ones that do dmg other then physical on attack where evasion it takes more knowledge to know what might kill you.
"
here2peer wrote:
Imo, I dont think this is a realy good build. the fact that you dont go crit AND you dont go RT (Normaly you'd get either one of them) makes me wonder if this is any good, as an offhand I would pick up soul taker so you can run 2x a 50% aura determ + grace + IR is pretty sick.

This is just what I think, besides I soley play hardcore.

You don't need rt because you are dex and have huge amounts of accuracy naturally. I don't go crit on this build because it is meant to be budget and i wanted it too be tanky so can't wast too many points on the tree to get crit. Soul take is a good offhand but again i am trying to be budget :)

PS dmg is doing good right now with 20k at 83 with all frenzy charges and the poison doing 3.4x that over the duration and with vulnerability up 4.5x
Hi, so you say to use Growing Agony for your jewels, do the effects stack? Both the increased DOT and the 2% increased attack damage per poison effect. Enjoying the build so far, I'm leveling both the Raider and Assassin versions. I had gotten lucky with a couple level 38 cutlasses with insane APS (1.89 on one and 1.85 on the other), and a level 46 rapier with 1.9 APS, and with multistrike, every just seems to melt. It's a lot of fun
hi yea i am using 2 growing agony jewels the effect does stack and from what i know about poison it does work with the dot and attack. Other jewels would be something with life and 2 other dmg rolls. Glad you are having fun :)
Last edited by Rumdum on Mar 18, 2016, 5:21:15 PM
I'm really enjoying this build so thank you for the effort in putting together the write up. I was wondering which skill gems do you use? I'm fairly new to POE and it wasnt clear in the video or write up. I've got Viper, melee splash and whirring blades atm (only lvl 20 and playing HC league)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info