[2.2 Theorycraft] Varunastra+Reave. What I have so far.

Looking at the new weapon Varunastra: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Varunastra

I have never attempted creating my own build before, but I didn't see anything on the forums about it yet.
I was thinking using Reave with Varunastra and wondered how my skill tree looks.
Any advice is much appreciated.

This is what I came up with(edited with many improvements and suggestions from themoleium):

Right now I am using the following gear and gem setup:

I am currently sitting at around 3k life, with nothing but life nodes to pick up at this point.
My current damage without buffs is 16,918 dps with a 4-link.

Gem Setup:

(for 5+6 I'm not too sure, but probably Conc. Effect and Added fire).

CWDT (9) + Immortal call (11) + Inc. Dur. (Max) + Flame Golem (11)

Blasphemy + Warlord's Mark

Blood Rage + Inc. Dur.

Whirling Blades + Fortify + Faster Attacks

Herald of Ash

Vengeance + Melee Phys. Dmg. + Chance to Flee + Culling Strike(didn't roll the extra red, Life on Hit would be best).

I highly suggest using The Pugilist on the first jewel socket to the right of the Duelist starting node.

It gives 26% damage and evasion alone.
Last edited by flabbycow on Mar 15, 2016, 5:15:12 PM
Last bumped on Mar 15, 2016, 5:16:06 PM
Hi flabbycow,

Varunastra is pretty cool, I'm using it at the moment on my character DaveTheKaruiAssassin, feel free to have a look. I've done a write up of the concept here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1604711

I have a few tips:
- I'd take at least some defenses, which will help you enjoy higher level content without being bursted to death or one-shot (block, end charges, armour/evasion etc)
- Consider going up into Templar for the AoE nodes
- Consider getting Deadly Dilettante! It's the best cluster for the sword and you get a jewel on the way
- I'd also complete the By the Blade cluster, taking those two 8% attack speed nodes
- You have very little dex and no int on the tree - I prefer to get it on the tree so I have more freedom with my gear to get life, res, flat phys, attack speed etc. You can always spec out of it later.
- Your build should be 'complete' with 105-110 points, anything extra is a bonus
[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234
Last edited by themoleium on Mar 9, 2016, 6:15:56 PM
Thank you for the constructive reply!
I read through your post and with your advice I shifted a lot of points around.
Not too sure where I can get more evasion/armour at this point, I guess I will have to sacrifice some damage nodes for that.
Thanks for pointing out Deadly Dilettante, I completely forgot about that cluster!

This is what I've come up with now:

I feel a bit better with this tree for sure. I will start looking at gearing and gem options next.
That looks a bit better. I've moved a few nodes around for you though: click me =)

Sacrifices a small amount of damage in the "Strong Arm" cluster and takes "Profane Chemistry", which is a great life cluster which buffs your health pots. I always aim for a minimum of 180% increased maximum Life in my builds (before life on jewels), for melee builds I aim for 200%. Reave is pseudo-ranged so you should be fine in between.

The other big thing is I've taken the Scion resists + jewel rather than 8% melee nodes. You'll easily be able to get a jewel that is better than the 8% nodes combined, so effectively you're adding 1 node and getting 18% all res!

You could also also remove the Duelist endurance charge (3pts) and pick up cloth and chain for ar/ev/res or the the frenzy charge instead if you wanted.
[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234
I guess the next step is to test out the build.
I'll play around more with nodes if needed once I get to about 65-70.
bump for update

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info