2.2 Necromancer Summoner Aura Build - New Player + Beginner Friendly (WIP)

Hey all, thanks for taking time to read this! I've updated it a bit since I've started doing maps and hit level 60 (now level 69). This build is working GREAT for me. It's my very first build and I earned everything to make it on my own. If you are new this can work for you because it did for me.

I made a newbie mistake in assuming the DPS the tooltip reads is accurate and it's definitely not. I'll be updating my gear/gems soon with a better layout now that I know never to trust the tooltips. Basically, I'll be going for more +minion dps/life gear.

I got the original idea from leary93; https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1595322

(Thank you!)

But since the update older passive trees won't load. So I modified that tree a bit and went my own way. Sorry these levels are a bit random, just updating when I have time;

Lvl 23;

Level 40;

Level 56;

Level 69;

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDAQPuBLMI9A3iES0WbxcvHNwdFB2qHb4i9CSqKPosnC9vMtEzhzWSNuk6WD8nQYdFR0ZxSI5KyE25VcZV1lcrWW1akV-YZOdo8mpDaqxr22wLbRluqnC7fEt8g30Yf8aApILHhWCIQI8aj0aQM5MnlnSbipuhoS-iAKaspwiofarErJi0DLXytz64k72Cvk--isBUwGbBxcrTzLzPMtP72L3ZE9-K4YjjaukC6-7sGOyK8B_31_no-tL-Cv5J_rM=

*First ascension should be the +Skill Effect Duration +Minion Damage +Offerings bonuses effect you as well. Second ascension, I went for the +40% damage bonus when consuming corpses.

If you want to see what I use this is the best way to tell in real time.Link to my characters in my profile.

Since I'm new I don't have a setup for gear. So there won't be any specific plans for 6 links and unique items. I just don't have the knowledge or resources to go that far with the design. That being said, I kinda use what I can when I can get it. I did find a Tabula Rasa from the Perandus coin vendor fairly early in game (Cruel Act 1). It does make a big difference but isn't a must until maybe merciless.

Starting Skill Gem Layout;

Spoiler

Summon Raging Spirit - Minion Damage - Added Lightning - Spell Echo(Faster casting until you get this, can use both at once if needed) - Melee Splash

Summon Skeletons - Spell Totem - Minion HP (For Tanking/Body Shields)

Summon Zombies - Minion Speed - Minion Damage - Minion And Totem Elemental Resistance (BodyShields)

Desecrate - Spell Echo - Faster casting(Just for corpses, spell echo makes double the corpses per cast, gives extra time for flesh offering. YOU DO NOT NEED TO LEVEL DESECRATE)

Flesh Offering (Use descrate then flesh offering bodies for quick buff, with first ascension it buffs you too!)

Summon Chaos Golem (For damage reduction)

Clarity (MUST HAVE!)

Wrath (Can add generosity, but if you leave it off it adds +lighting damage to your spells which effects ALL MINION SPELLS +PLUS+ the buffs from the aura apply to the minions as well.)

Vaal Summon Skeletons (Because why not)

Skill Gem Layout post level 60-ish;

Spoiler
MAIN - Summon Raging Spirit + Minion Damage + Added Lightning Damage + Spell Echo + Melee Splash + Innervate (Or controlled destruction if you can afford the mana cost)

Summon Zombie + Minion Damage + Minion And Totem Elemental Resistance + Minion Speed/Minion Life

Summon Chaos Golem + Raise Spectre + Added Lighting Damage + Purity of Elements (Or something else if you're fine with resistances and don't need the buff, but it really helps your minions having it)

Desecrate + Spell Echo + Faster Casting (Nothing is worse than being stuck in animation casting this and getting owned, cast fast and get out fast)

Wrath + Clarity + Flesh Offering + Increased Duration

Vaal Summon Skeletons + Added Lightning Damage + Minion Life

This is what I have so far, I may get Haste/Vaal haste soon, I also may try Vaal Molten Shell for defense (Or something else) but right now I have no isssues doing maps my level or clearing the main quest. I'm a bit squishy against certain bosses but that's not unusual. Vaal Skeletons and purity of elements can easily be replaced with something else if needed.

This has been working well for me so far, but any advice is welcomed. Please try to keep in mind I'm a new player and have zero knowledge on trading. I'm sure there are tons of expensive uniques that can trick out a summoner build but if I can't find them on my own there isn't much chance I'll be able to get them at all. That doesn't mean don't recommend them, but I would like to keep this very noob friendly.

So the way this works is I use wrath to give everything lightning damage. Shock is an elemental status ailment associated with lightning that causes the affected target to take 50% increased damage from all sources.

Reasoning for different gems;

[spoiler]

--Skeletons and Zombies are for shields mostly. Skeletons on spell totem are a must, if you dont want to use spell totem then don't use the skeletons. They take too long to cast otherwise.

--Zombies make good shields and the elemental resistance buff keeps them alive.

--This build runs on a low mana pool with clarity keeping the regen up. Getting those reduced aura costs and reduced spell cost nodes is vital. Best to gear with items that give +mana regen and -mana costs.

--The goal is to get SRS casting as fast as possible to get the max of 50 skulls.

--Vaal Summon Skeletons is an epic gem if you have room, it can summon 30 skeleton meat shield instantly in those desperate situations.

--Chaos Golem gives reduced damage buff to you, some may choose stone golem instead.

--You may want to invest in a big HP potion that gives some of the healing to minions, it really makes a big difference when getting into tough battles.

--Purity of elements helps your minions last longer in battles, especially Perandus chests with that multi-element spell spam.[/spoiler]

For items you will want;
Life
Resistances
STR/Dex for gems (Shouldnt need dex if you don't increase desecrate level)
Reduced mana costs, +max mana
Chaos Resistance (Once you get to merciless this is vital. Good thing is the HP nodes on the far left of the tree give a +20% total)

Any tips on better passive tree node selections, uniques to keep an eye out for, and gem combinations that are effective is appreciated!

Any advice is great! Thank you for your time!

Last edited by ChemicalEscape on Mar 9, 2016, 3:48:21 PM
Last bumped on Dec 8, 2016, 6:14:06 AM
im trying to follow your tree with minder adjustments feks added a extra zombie from skill tree..

can you update the tree to the end version (for high lvl like 90) so we get some info on what we might do and find ways to do it with.. :)
best summoner ever........ i got 9 zombies 11-13 skellies 4 spectras and a vall summon when i pop vall summon the server lag like hell... when i use ragging spirrit with the minions the server lag....

YES I GOT A SUMMKONER THAT KILLS AND OWNS BUT! the server lags out every time i over summon! LAG ALL THE TIME and yes i know its the server since party gets the same lag when i summon minions
Last edited by Shrekken on Mar 8, 2016, 2:43:42 PM
I'm almost certain spell damage doesn't increase the damage of your spirits. They deal damage through their own attacks, which shouldn't factor in your spell damage at all. I'm not an expert though
"
noobcannon wrote:
I'm almost certain spell damage doesn't increase the damage of your spirits. They deal damage through their own attacks, which shouldn't factor in your spell damage at all. I'm not an expert though

This is correct. You can however "increase" srs dps with cast speed since you can summon more out quicker.
Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon
"
mattc3303 wrote:
"
noobcannon wrote:

This is correct. You can however "increase" srs dps with cast speed since you can summon more out quicker.

also melee splash and phys dam increase works

did learn trow google that my lag issue/desync where because the (internet conection in the game where placed on auto - turned it on to predecure or what ever its called and the lag when i summon anything i got (around 60 minions and 45-49 ragging's dont make me into a slow motion action nor huge lag) i do get minor lags when i pop all i got but not even close to what it where before gonna try lock-stop and see if that works better :) atleast i can play now with out getthing killed trow server desync lag
Last edited by Shrekken on Mar 8, 2016, 5:30:26 PM
"
mattc3303 wrote:
"
noobcannon wrote:

Yes, the tooltip is wrong. Newbie mistake. Even so my minions are doing well.
Last edited by ChemicalEscape on Mar 9, 2016, 3:49:22 PM
What? That must be a tooltip bug.

Wouldn't GGG make an announcement of some kind if spell damage nodes/items works on minions? I am almost 100% sure this is wrong lol.
Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon
"
mattc3303 wrote:
What? That must be a tooltip bug.

Wouldn't GGG make an announcement of some kind if spell damage nodes/items works on minions? I am almost 100% sure this is wrong lol.

If you look at the minion gems, they have "spell" across the top, this means they are effected by spell buffs. I don't know if the 'nodes' from the passive tree work but I can clearly tell the item buffs do.

For example, I have wands that add elemental damages to spell, one lightning and one fire. If I check my minion's stats in the character menu, the added damage is represented there and adds to their total dps.

I'll try to get a screenshot up ASAP.

From what I've been told, this isn't actually correct. The tooltip will add up all the different damages into one number, but in reality it's not right. I'll be adjusting some things to correct this soon!

The build still works very well, but knowing this means I can make it work much much better.
Last edited by ChemicalEscape on Mar 9, 2016, 3:50:54 PM
"
Shrekken wrote:
im trying to follow your tree with minder adjustments feks added a extra zombie from skill tree..

can you update the tree to the end version (for high lvl like 90) so we get some info on what we might do and find ways to do it with.. :)

I could plan ahead like that but I'm not experienced enough to know what will be needed. That's why this is a work in progress. I'll update it when I get there so I know what I chose is effective. I'm still on the fence for getting more HP, increasing auras, or taking reduced mana cost nodes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info