Elemental Overload and Totems

So as far as I know you can't trigger Elemental Overload with totems. That's a shame but we can work around it, right? If you are a lazy player like I am you want to have a self sustainable way to trigger it. Since we're using totems will will have Ancestral Bond, meaning we can't deal damage with our skills, but we still can crit. We will most likey need a little bit of critical strike chance from the tree, so let's pretend we have Doom Cast and/or Annihilation.

So obvious way would be to trigger it with your CoH setup (i.e. Ball Lightning - Curse on Hit - Ele Weakness - GMP). This could work, but I don't like the idea. For the most part you'll cast this setup once to curse the entire screen. Your crit chance would have to be pretty high to have constand Elemental Overload. Also, I really am a lazy player and prefer Blasphemy nowadays.

Next Idea: Orb of Storms. Now I'm not quite sure how orb of storms interacts with Ancestral Bond and totems in the first place. I mean, does it even deal damage when I have Ancestral Bond? Doesn't really matter tho if we only use it to get Elemental Overload up. Base crit chance is 6%, that's cool. We could link the new Increased Critical Chance gem to it. A 7.9% base crit should almost guarantee a pretty instand Elemental Overload, right? Still don't really like it tho as I'd have to cast it myself.

Ultimate idea: Okay this would only work with a special kind of build. Let's say we play a Ancestral Bond Necromancer witch to get the Bone Offering Effect. We should have a pretty high block chance without much investment. Now tempest shield with a increased critical strike chance gem has also a 7.9% base crit chance at level 20. I'm pretty sure that we'd have enough block to make Tempest Shield trigger often enough for Elemental Overload.

So that's all I can think off for now. Any other ideas to get the most out of Elemental Overlaod with Ancestral Bond? Would appreciate any tipps :)
I haven't really played totem builds in depth but why not Ice Spear? At proper distance you get nearly 50% (7 × (100%+600%) = 49%) crit chance with literally zero investment. Stick a crit chance gem in there and each spear is more likely to Crit than not with zero node investment.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Mar 4, 2016, 5:08:26 AM
"
adghar wrote:
I haven't really played totem builds in depth but why not Ice Spear? At proper distance you get nearly 50% (7 × (100%+600%) = 49%) crit chance with literally zero investment. Stick a crit chance gem in there and each spear is more likely to Crit than not with zero node investment.

I like your thinking! Even better, since I don't deal any damage anyways, link it to CwDT lvl 1, Inc Critical Strike Chance and GMP. That's awesome!
Just doing the thing I do:
Orb of Storms automatically fires once every so often, and fires additional arcs when you activate a Lightning Skill inside its radius (including, for example, placing a Totem). This is Damage dealt by your character, and will thus deal zero Damage with AB. Still, it'll poop out Crits every so often.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 4, 2016, 6:18:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info