[2.2]Avatar of Frenzy! Melee Frenzy Evasion Non-Crit Non-Elemental

Do you want to clear maps incredibly fast? Look elsewhere!
Do you want to do a crapload of damage? Look elsewhere!
Do you want to be lazy and not pay attention? Look elsewhere!
Do you want to want to see that evasion can be tanky and how far doing only physical with a bit of poison can go? Read on!

This will be constantly updated with Ascendancy.
Also this is only my second build guide so feel free to give advice/tips.

Introduction:

My goal with this build was to be Frenzy(the skill)/Evasion to bring back D2 memories but it has evolved so much from my original design. I saw Dreamfeather and instantly fell in love and wanted to do a build around it. I started off as dual wield Dreamfeather but recently RNGesus blessed me and Haku sold me a 140% Soultaker so I was able to switch out Bloodmagic which was a huge dps boost and actually made the build viable.

My goal was essentially to get my Evasion rating as high as I could to gain the bonus' of Dreamfeather and Queen of the Forest and go from there.

I started out using Cyclone for my main skill and it worked really well but I found that Frenzy just had more control and not only that the recent change to Melee Splash helped make the build viable.

I was always very curious about using the Elemental Status Avoidance wheel located in the Ranger tree and wondered if it helped or was viable at all. I waited way too long to test it as I have found it is amazing and helps with survival incredibly well. I used to be scared of any elemental boss but now they are a joke. I'm really surprised that more people haven't tried this wheel as it is huge for survival and fits right in with an Evasion/Dodge build. Hopefully people will read this and give it a shot going forward.

I don't claim to say that this build is viable in HC as I have no idea and I still accept that one shots happen with Evasion but a lot of them can be prevented with build.

Gear:

Spoiler
I'm quite proud of my gear and it has taken me a while to amass it and I certainly lucked out on a few purchases.

Chest:

My baby :) My first ever six-link. It is a high roll and my favourite part is the -50 damage from animals haha. It took me close to 1000 Chromes to get 4 red links. You can't go wrong with this chest as it gives such a huge movement speed boost, life, resists and tons of evasion rating. Currently this chest is giving me 97% more move speed.

Weapons:

Dreamfeather is such an amazing item. It does everything for my build. Evasion raiting, move speed and most important, the Attack Damage boost. Currently Dreamfeather is giving me 97% more attack damage. The Chilling Physical Damage from Soultaker is a great help to slow the attack speed of mobs giving more survivability not to mention the ability to use melee attacks for free.

Helm:

Alpha's Howl is perfect for this build as it makes you unfreezable and offers a huge amount of Evasion, not to mention the +2 to Auras and Chill Avoidance.

Gloves:

Snatebites have a very nice damage bonus if you are focusing on just physical damage and that is "Attacks poison on hit when at max Frenzy charges." I lost about 5k evasion raiting when switching to these but because of my huge attack speed I get a massive damage bonus from the poison.

Boots:

Yep, how many of you just came a little? haha. 100% Perfect Atziri's Step boots with +1 Frenzy Charges :) I got this for 1ex 3 leagues ago. These boots are perfect for this build as they offer a huge amount of evasion, good amount of life, 16% spell dodge and the +1 Frenzy is the icing on the cake.

Belt:

Another 100% perfect item :) Legacy too. Just bought it this week for 20c. It goes perfectly with the Elemental Status Avoidance setup.

Jewelry:

My rings I have been using for ages. I looked for high specific resists as well as high Dex and Evasion rating. My fire ring I got 19% Evasion on my first Ex. As for the amulet, I've always wanted to use Doresso's Salute in a build and it fit so well with this one. I rarely get hit so I almost always have the move speed and damage boost. The +2 range on it is perfect for Melee Splash as well. You actually don't need to use Daresso's other rare amulets actually offer more damage. I'm just using it because I've always wanted to.

Flasks:

I use this for the damage and evasion boost. I'm still trying to roll a 20 charge/100% evasion one.

Bleeding and bleed effects can kill you right quick so it's best to have a few health flasks that remove them.

I use this when I know I don't need health right away so it gives a nice boost to evasion.

If there is one elemental damage type that still hurts it's Lightning so I bring this.

Jewels:

16% Physical Damage/12% Lightning Res/12% Fire and Lightning Res Rare Jewel: As I recently switched to Snakebites for the poison damage boost I needed to catch up on some resists and this jewel fit nicely.
Conqueror's Efficiency: Used for the 2% mana reservation reduction to help get me all 3 buffs/auras
10% Increased Damage/16% Increased Physical Damage/10% Increased Area Damage Rare jewel which I crafted myself. Great for all around damage and a nice little boost to Melee Splash damage.

Defensive Stats:

Spoiler

These are my stats with 100% uptime with 8 Frenzy Charges and no flasks:

Breakdown:
43950 Evasion Rating (The point of the build, the more the better.)
74% Chance to Evade Attacks (The bonus of having such a high Evasion Rating.)
40% Chance to Dodge Attacks (From the Skill Tree, Acrobatics and Improved Acro.)
46% Chance to Dodge Spells (From Phase Acrobatics and Atziri's Step.)
12% Chance to Block (Not the focus of the build.)
58% Ignite Avoidance (The least of my Elemental concerns. More often then not I can out heal the Ignite.)
83% Chill Avoidance (You don't want to be slowed down at all to keep the dps and survival up.)
158% Freeze Avoidance (Freeze Reflect? haha)
78% Shock Avoidance (This one made me buy the belt. Getting Shocked will kill you so fast.)
125% Movement Speed Modifier (Awwww yissss)

Not Shown:
54% Reduced Physical damage taken on hit.

Wait what? I'm evasion right?

Yes but by stacking Arctic Armour(13%), Enfeeble(21%) and Fortify(20%) you get massive damage reduction :)

Frenzy Stats:

Spoiler

Current Dps with 8 Frenzy Charges:

Yeah, only 20k dps. It's not much and I really don't know how to get higher without going elemental or crit. The Raider Ascendancy tree is really going to help though. The poison damage really helps and stacks like crazy because of my massive attack speed.

Bandits:

Oak, Kill, Kraityn

You want the health boost, the Frenzy charge, and the extra passive point.

Passive Tree:

If you'll notice I basically took almost all the Evasion nodes I could while focusing on health and a bit of damage in the Duelist area. Until recently I included the Scion health wheel but noticed I could get as much or more health while gaining further benefits if I chose the health nodes in Duelist/Ranger trees.

I made sure to grab all of the Frenzy nodes as well as the 4% Evasion per Frenzy charge in the Ranger tree.

Graceful Assault is a bit out of the way but I find Onslaught has a very high up time and with Ascendancy it will be 30% total chance.

I used to focus on crit up until I saw the 2.1 patch notes then threw that build out the window since the crit path in the Shadow tree was no longer viable to reach as it took way too many points.

I grabbed the small Fatal Toxins poison cluster to help with higher poison damage but this is getting nerfed in Ascendancy. I don't think it will hurt too much though.

I then had a thought: Why not finally try out the Elemental Avoidance circle? From respecing out of crit I had enough points and my path was already right there so screw it. Oh man it made a world of difference. I then threw in the extra 8% avoidance from Thick Skin to help even more.

I don't think this tree will change much with Ascendancy and I will update it if it does.

Raider Skill Tree
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy/classes/Raider
I'll be using four points to get to Avatar of the Slaughter (used to be Avatar of Frenzy so I stole the name haha) taking Way of the Poacher on the way. Avatar will give me a huge dps boost granting 18% move speed and 27% attack speed and damage. I won't really need the 10% chance to gain a Frenzy charge from Way of the Poacher but the 10% attack speed comes in handy.

As for the final 2 points I plan on taking Rapid Assault as a 20% damage boost is nice and the 20% chance to gain Onslaught should stack with Graceful Assault's 10% chance giving 30% total.

Skill Gems and Build Breakdown:

Spoiler

Frenzy in Chest

Frenzy: Duh
Faster Attacks: Gain more hits
Multistrike: Huge dps gain
Melee Physical Damage: Increase the damage done
Fortify: Great Gem added that really helps as I have zero armour and can take whatever I can get to reduce physical damage. Boosts melee damage as well.
Melee Splash: This is great for killing large packs and the buff of no longer reducing damage to main target really helps.

Gloves Skills

Blood Magic is used because 100% of my mana is reserved
Increased Duration is used to lengthen the time of the attached abilities
Enduring Cry is used to round up mobs as well as give Immortal Call a bit more time
Phase Run is my first and only level 21 gem, sigh. It's used to gain a huge movement speed boost and can be used to stay hidden to regen life if required. See Atziri fight for a good use of it. I ran out of pots and used this to regen life and stay alive.

Vaal Skills: In Boots/Dreamfeather

I needed to fill my boots and decided to go the Vaal route. Vaal Cyclone is an incredibly powerful skill but you need to be very aware when to use it. You must avoid explodes on death
and any mob that might have Vaal Molten Shell. Culling Strike really helps kill mobs/bosses a lot faster. I never cast Vaal Cyclone without casting Vaal Haste and Vaal Grace first to gain the dps and survival boost. It's actually very rare that I die when I cast it even against most bosses. The life gain on hit is HUGE. Because you are attacking so fast and hitting so many mobs at once it's almost impossible to die when casting Vaal Cyclone.

You can always cast Vaal Haste and Vaal Grace separately for greater offence/defense on their own.

Leapslam is used with faster attacks to jump over barriers and obstacles faster.

Alpha's Howl

Grace: Obviously using Grace for the massive Evasion boost. The aura actually adds more Evasion than my armour.
Blasphemy with Enfeeble: Huge defensive boost. Reduces enemies damage as well as their chance to hit.
Arctic Armour: Great defensive boost as well since all our damage come when standing still.

With Alpha's Howl's 8% reduced mana reserved as well as the 2% reduced from Conqueror's Efficiency I get exactly 100% mana reserved when I used Enfeeble, Grace and Arctic Armour.

Soultaker

Cast When Damage Taken with Immortal Call and Increased Duration for the rare occasion that you actually get hit.

Playstyle:
Spoiler

Mobs:
Pretend that you just arrived at prison. Go for the biggest strongest guy around. Because of Melee Splash when you are targeting the big guy all the small guys around him will die. Target the rare mob or boss first and use your Evasion Flask.

For the normal and blue trash use Leap Slam to jump in the middle of packs as this is the most effective way of killing all mobs in an area.

If you don't feel like jumping in don't stop moving. Basically the target you want to hit will have the highest life in the area. Walk up to a group of mobs hit the first guy, then move further in attacking the mob with the highest life next. All the mobs behind you will die from the Melee Splash off the next mobs you are hitting.

If you are doing a map or area and you hit a dead end just cast Phase Run to gain a huge speed boost to find the next set of mobs.

Bosses:
There's no good way to explain how to fight bosses other than researching them and practicing.
Read up on this page: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map_bosses
Click on each boss and see what they do and how to play against them.

Otherwise basically never stop moving and pay attention. Although this build is quite tanky you will still die from bosses large hits. You wan't to employ a hit and run tactic. Attack when it's safe and run/dodge when it's not.

Videos:
All maps are Alch'ed with random stats. See the video for further details.
Level 7 Torture Chamber Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF277VuHQ30
Level 9 Arid Lake Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2VD7rmG-Ic
Level 9 Residence Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zWcCcYUr-4
Level 10 Bazzar Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTnnczvqIr8

Single Death Atziri Map Run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfagrB6PSOY

That Bazzar map is actually the highest map I've ever had drop so I have no idea how well or even if I can do higher maps :/

Twitch:
www.twitchtv.com/MrIcemaz
I rarely stream PoE but I might do more as I want to stream some of Ascendancy.

That's it for now.

Once again feel free to ask any questions you may have or any suggestions you wish to give me.

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info