[2.1 Talisman] Life Armor Based Crit Mjolner. Uber guide for Talisman.

change log

2016.02.25 add my stats section

There are a few build guides for Mjolner.
For example,
[2.0] Mjolner life based Rainbownuke witch, !!Deathless 82 Core/Uber!!

[2.0] [Revamped & Uber Farming Optimized] Heavy Armour Mjolner v2.0 (Build + Uber Guide)

But they are for Standard players using legacy mjolner and most importantly legacy surgeon flasks. I write this not as a build guide, but more for sharing experiences with other Mjolner players on how to play Mjolner in Talisman league and beat Uber.
This is what I got from my first ever uber run, very exciting!

During Talisman League, I facetanked almost all map bosses, to name a few: Colosseum, Twin Abyss, Twin Shrine, Excavation, Twin Crematorium, Twin Malformation, Vinktar, lvl 80 Rigwald. Really enjoy it.

My build is more or less the same as the second one above, Heavy Armour Mjolner v2.0. So if you want to know more details you may check that thread, Rainbownuke Mjolner thread is also very helpful.

My Tree at Level 95
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAecEBwSzBS0FQgthDlwRLRLhFCAUTRZvFy8YXRiRGjgaPhzcHRQhYCcLJy8pLimlLJwt0jH7MtE26DwtQKBBlkSrRUdFfkWdRrdMs1BHU1JVrlXGVdZXDV4TXz9hUmTnZlRnm2hlaPJq-nTxeu98g3y4gKSCB4IQgpuDX4O2g9uFe4V9hmCG0Y5kjxqPRo-mkFWRzpLQlmyaO5rgm1iezZ_LogCnCKcwrY2t8a4-rrOvbLb6vJ_AZsauz37QH9D10iHTb9lh37Dhc-Nq5FHr7uw47w7vTu_r8B_xrPJB85v3pvrS_Es=

Main difference to Heavy Armour Mjolner v2.0:
I use Intuitive leap at Templar area and I pick all jewel slot nearby (dropping some life/armor node from Heavy Armour Mjolner v2.0 tree). So other than intuitive leap, we have 5 jewel slots, which give me 32% life, 20% attack speed and 45% crit for lightning spells (details in jewel section).

Depending on your gears, you may need to pick 30 int, 30 str node or some resist node. In that case, just drop one endurance charge which will give 2 skill points, you many also consider getting skill point from Cruel bandit.

Bandit

Normal: Oak (life)
Cruel: Kraityn (attack speed) or skill point, I pick Kraityn. Depends on your tree.
Merciless: Alira (power charge) or Oak (Endurance charge), again depends on your tree and the number of charges you will get eventually. I have 5 power charge and 7 Endurance charge, 1 power charge from bandit, 1 Endurance charge from belt, others from tree. But depends on your targeting level, 4/5, 4/6, 5/6 are all playable. I

About number of charges

For legacy 50% Mjolner, 4 power charges is enough since it would be realy rare to reach 5 power charge. For 30% one, 5 power charges will increase your dps, but you don't really need that many dps. I use level 13 discharge when farming atziri for a training of uber and the dps is still insane. Actually in my uber run, I forgot to change it back for a 21/20 discharge but I killed vaal with no problem. Then I noticed. We want endurance charge be 1 or 2 more than power charge because say you have X power charges, discharge will give you X endurance charge, it may happen that until next discharge, your molten strike crit and this may give you 1 or 2 endurance charges.

My Stats

Life: 5321
Armor with no flasks: 12596
Armor with granite (mapping stats): 32855
Armor with granite and Jade : 54754
Attacks per second without blood rage: 5.65, with blood rage: 6.10
Discharge crit chance with no power charges: 23.8%
Resist: 85/79/84, now Ruby/Sappire/Topaz can give 10*1.3=13 max resist so during Uber Atziri fight, I have 98/79/97 resists. In Ascendancy, flask can give only 6 max resist, 6*1.3=7.8 which will be just 7 max resists. So if there is no other way to increase max resist, fighting Uber Atziri will be much harder. Atziri's flameblast can deal at most 2839*12 = 34068 damage and Storm Call Empowered can deal at most 32438 lightning damage. So even if we get only 7 max resist from flasks, which turn to 92 fire resist and 91 lightning resist, we can still facetank those skills but it would be more dangerous. Hopefully there is other ways one can increase max resists.

Gears

Mine:

Last two are for fighting Trio.
We use only 3 rares: gloves, one ring and boots, all others are uniques. Beyond meeting str/int requirements of Mjolner and capping resists, we want at least 300 accuracy from either gloves or the rare ring. There are unique gloves options like voidbringer or Repentance, for voidbringer, you need to drop LMP and use BM, which is OK for legacy mjolner but not for us with 30% mjolner, we need both LMP and GMP to proc more. For Repentance, compared to my rare gloves, I will lose attack speed, life accuracy and resist, I got one more link for discharge which I don't think necessary since DPS is already good enough. I tried using repentance and link discharge with increased critial strikes, but I still cannot get infinite flasks while fightning atziri so I don't think it worth to use repentance.

You can see my gems from gears, I want to point out we only need lvl 20 purity, I have lvl 21 to test +1 voidbringer setup and then I decide to go with rare gloves instead.

Links

Mjolner: Discharge (q20) - Arc/Ball lightning - Iron will, Arc is better for mapping while BL is better for maintaining flask charge during boss fighting.
Chest: Molten strike - GMP(q20) - LMP (q20) - Faster Attacks (q20)- Multistrike - Fortify, for 5L drop LMP.
Other links:
CWDT - Immortal Call - Increasd Duration - Enfeeble
Enlighten 3 or 4 - Purity of Fire - Purity of Lightning - Grace
Faster casting - flame dash, during Vaal and Trio I change them to elemental weakness and righteous fire.
increased duration - blood rage (q20)
Shield: CWDT 10 - Chaos Golem 12 - Tempest shield, I choose lvl 12 Chaos Golem because this is the lower level to get 4% physical reduction. I also have 20 CWDT and 20/20 Chaos Golem but lvl 10 CWDT triggers much more often which seems give better golem coverage. For mapping one may put elemental weakness here for boss. One may also use CWDT 2 - Ice Golem 4 for mapping.

Here
Discharge, GMP, LMP, Faster Attacks, blood rage should be your priorty to get q20 since we want attack speed be as fast as possible.
Then Iron will, increased duration, enfeeble, elemental weakness

Jewels

We want 2 jewels with +2 mana gained on hit and all jewels have life. When you buy mana gained on hit jewel, you should also check +1 mana gained since it is hard to roll mana gained on hit, life and an useful attack mod. You can use divine to get +2 mana from +1 mana.

Depending on gears you may also need to get str/int/resist from jewels, then for attack mods, we look for attack speed and crit for discharge, attack speed > crit.

Namely the following mods:
increased attack speed
increased attack and cast speed
increased attack with one handed melee weapons
increased attack with maces
increased attack while holding a shield
increased critical strike chance for spells
increased critical strike chance with lightning skills

You may also look for
increased critical strike chance with cold skills, which will increase crit of discharge also.
But we don't want global crit or
increased critical strike chance with fire skills
increased critical strike chance with elemental skills
since we want crit chance of molten strike be as low as possible.

It may worth mentioning that I yolo ex knock back on one jewel and turn out it is very useful. We have very high hit number per second so our knock back chance become quite high, and knock backing keeps you safe.

Mapping Guide

elemental weakness: put purity of element in shiled and turn off grace.
no regen: use arctic armor instead of grace
elemental reflect, blood magic: reroll or sell
others: play as usual
Flask setup

I use hybrid flask to get mana recovery which is a must when playing no regen map,and it may be helpful in some other circumstances. We want flasks to cover curse, freeze and bleeding mod. One may change the two resist flask to match map mod. If map mod is additional cold damage, then you want to bring a sapphire flask.

Uber Guide

This is based on the uber guide from [2.0] [Revamped & Uber Farming Optimized] Heavy Armour Mjolner v2.0 (Build + Uber Guide). Some are just copied from there.

Trash

As long as you have both Granite and Jade up, Trash has no threat.

Vaal

We don't need armor here because you will still be oneshot by slam.
I have life flask to turn off RF. The strategy is simple, pop flasks, RF and hit. You should have no problem with flask charges here. Hit one for a few second, then run away to hit the other, if they are together, then hit hard, and avoid slam. Try to have their life bar be roughly the same. As I mentioned earlier, I killed them with level 13 discharge, easy.

Trio
Use

During this fight we only need to care about physical damage, chaos damage and fire damage. So we can change purity of lightning to Discipline to get more ehp and change Saffell to Rise of The Phoenix to get 100 fire resist with ruby flask. And if possible, we may change some gear to get more chaos resist since we don't need to care about cold resist and lightning resist during this fight.

Now fighting strategy:

Go around the room hugging wall from the right side as you enter, until you are at the top right corner of the room and you can see the cycloner. Pop RF, granite and jade flask and kill the cycloner.

After the cycloner dies, kite the dual striker for a bit until the miscreation moves away from the degen ground cycloner left. Curse ONLY the miscreation and move in for the kill. Keep up your jade and granite flask and you should be able to facetank both remaining bosses with no problem. It is important to kill the miscreation 2nd since it's very hard to recover from death if you leave her for last.

After the miscreation dies, move away from the degen ground and facetank the dual striker with ruby, jade, and granite flasks and you'll never drop below 75% hp. Easy.

There are three important things:
1 Order of Kill, leave dual striker last. Some prefer to Kill miscreation first, but I don't like those chaos area created by cyclone and with granite and jade, we can facetank and kill cyclone first.
2 NEVER fight on the degen ground, we run very fast, so no need for quicksilver. Reposition wisely and then fight.
3 Bring 2 Ruby Flasks and use rise of the phoenix, in this way we have 100 fire resist so fire reflect from dual striker is a joke. We bring 2 Ruby flasks to make sure during the whole fight with dual striker we have 100 fire resist.

Atziri

Because of the surgeon nerf, there is no way to get back infinite flasks unless we use two ruby and two topaz! Pop ruby when she flameblasts, topaz when she storm calls, and use quicksilver to run away for vaal flameblasts.

Without granite, the spear may seem scary but I can guarantee:
1 It won't oneshot you unless crit and crit chance is low
2 As long as you are not oneshot, you won't die

My First Uber run

I used all portal, next time would be much better I think
1st death: Vaal: Killed the first one, leave the other with little HP, thought I could kill it so got slamed
2nd-4th death: Trio, did not notice I am playing in degen ground, should reposition. If I am not playing in degen ground, it is fairly easy to facetank.
5th death: Trash, granite and jade not up on time
6th death: vaal flameblast

Last edited by hupple on Feb 25, 2016, 10:43:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info