Great solution to the map tier conundrum of not getting enough high level map drops.

As I was replying to a post in my thread Power creep and long term playing I just had a light bulb going on idea to make the problem of getting and sustaining high tier maps in our endgame playing. GGG should allow us to be able to place more than one map in the map generator device. Since there are 4 places and right now I only know of the 4 fragments to get the Atziri map that uses all 4 map generator spots (are there any others?). If GGG made a change that allowed us to use up to 4 maps at a time and took the combined total of the map tiers (2, 3, or 4 maps) to create a map of that tier level then all the tier 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. maps that drop can be used to create one map of a much higher difficulty.

So for my own Talisman playing I have a level 86 build which easily plays level 5 and 6 maps. I don't get very many level 7 map drops and haven't gotten anything higher then that yet. All my level 1, 2, 3, and 4 maps do not generate enough XP for the time to play them (even though I can race through them with my build and only slow up a little at the end boss) so I just wait until I have 3 to vendor to get the the next tier up map. What I'm proposing is that GGG allow us to combine multiple maps in the map generator to get a higher tier map to play immediately. So if I put 4 tier 1 maps into the map device I would get to play a tier 4 map. If I placed a 1, 2, and 3, tier map together in the map generator I'd get to play a tier 6 map. If I placed 2 tier 4 maps into the map generator I could play a tier 8 map. And so on. Any combination would be allowed. The map that is generated would be the the one that is placed in the upper level position (or lower left, then upper right in that order if you choose to only use 3 or 2 maps and don't put one in the left positions) but it would be a tier of the combined total of all the maps.

This has the multiple benefit of stopping the complaints from players of level 80+ builds that they can't sustain high tier maps, creates a map sink so we aren't overloaded with low tier maps, and gives the top elite players uber difficult maps to play if they desire. I know tiers go all the way to 15 so theoretically you could generate a tier 60 map but since tier 15 maps are so rare (and difficult to play) that it would be next to impossible and very foolish to waste high tier maps that way as there is no build that could ever survive that. It would be left to the player to decide how high of level of difficulty map to create. Go too far and your build would die quickly. But at least GGG would be giving us the freedom to choose how hard we want to play the endgame.

This is a very cool idea. Now everybody post to get GGG to code it for the next league after Ascendancy.

Edit: 6-27-16:
It has been pointed out that a tier 60 map, even if it's only in theory as who would ever be creating an impossible to play map (first hit from a white would one-shot for 50K+ damage) that taking the total and dividing it by 2 would be more reasonable. So I could take a tier 1 map like Dunes and place it in the map portal device along with 3 other maps, for example 3 tier 3 maps, and that would add up to 10 so divide by 2 and thus I'd be able to play a tier 5 Dunes map and in that same process use up 3 other maps (a great alternate map sink for all the low tiers we accumulate and eventually get 3 to vendor). This would be very easy for GGG to implement (very little coding required) and only the tier 10+ maps would need to be rebalanced to account for the top tier map being tier 30 and this should be harder to play than any uber elite player whining that "PoE is too easy".
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 27, 2016, 10:59:43 AM
Last bumped on May 18, 2016, 11:48:01 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I support this fully. I would just like to add one thing: GGG should make sure that the map tiers go high enough for any possible 4 map combos to work.

I want my t60 maps.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
bad wording i gues
i think he means the map with the highest tier to determen the new map
it they have the same tier it could be the first map you put into the vendor tab
"
鬼殺し wrote:

That aside, cool idea. It's like a super version of upscaling 3 maps via the vendor. I hope GGG notice it and take your proposal on board.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I imagine there's probably a few reasons this can't or won't be done that only the GGGods know.

These reasons would be the economy and the longevity of the game. I am not claiming to be a GGGod. If i were i would implement this idea in a heartbeat. Screw the economy and the game has proven to have enough longevity as it is.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Cool idea.

But I'm sure there are several economy-centric reasons to not do it. And economy trumps everything else in this game.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Worst idea I've ever seen on these forums
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 I only know of the 4 fragments to get the Atziri map that uses all 4 map generator spots (are there any others?).

if you combine a map with a atziri fragment, it gives higher item quantity for the map.

@topic: killing the map progression? why taking away the carrot, players get to endgame maps easier already, one could see it at the 1:1 chaos/regal price in tsc in the last week.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Alright, so like it or not, GGG wants the level curve where it's at for a reason. They don't want people getting up to 100 too easily, and this would unfortunately allow for this. This would also cause power creep that would mirror Diablo 3's greater rifts, feeling like there's a limit to how many builds can do the insane map tiers in this case. For instance, you probably couldn't do a map tier 20 on most builds, thus taking away the freedom that builds have currently. Not to mention, the balance on maps are very hit or miss currently, there's too many weird quirks to them, and if you could control which map output you got, you'd just pick the one that's the easiest to full clear while being safe and if you couldn't choose which one it turns out to be, you wouldn't be satisfied when it rolled a map you don't like or is prone to dying.

With that said, I think the general idea is good conceptually, but not to the extreme you have it at. Example being, if you have a tropical island in the top left and you have 3 random tier 3 maps in the other slots, it would be nice to do Tropical Island at tier 3 levels. More of a sink and it would still maintain the current balance. Though this will fall into what I said above, of you'll only choose what map you want for speed. Maybe make it 4 random tier 3 maps and you get a random map out of the pool that rolls at Tier 4.

Just how I imagine it, the idea is nice, but too powerful to be implemented as is.
Guide - How To Get Started in Path of Exile - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1297390
My Feedback Analysis Thread - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1270724
For all these years GGG pissing people off with those crap map drops. This map war lasts for all these years POE exists. They buff map drops by 0,0001% from time to time. They dont buff it by 2 times, 3 times, they buff it none even notice that buff.

I mean, your suggestion is against GGG's philosophy. Never gonna happen
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
If you cannot sustain at the very least tier 8-10 maps you doing something completely wrong. Learn from your own mistakes, adapt, become a better player before asking for changes. The game is not flawed. Your own playstyle is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info