Looking for HLD Advice

So far I've only done PvE but am looking to start working on a char for HLD PvP.

I want this characters primary focus to be on defense, going for maximum damage reduction for all damage types, whether that is armor, evasion, block, or a combination of various defenses.

First step is determining which class is best to pick for this based on the passive nodes available.

I've tried to read up a bit on this subject but found contradictory info so suggestions on this or on HLD PvP in general would be great.

Thanks!
I don't have a lot of info about what you're looking for specifically, but I can tell you that the hardest guy I've ever had to kill is Qbot_Dyness, and here's his thread :) I'm sure something useful can be found in there!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890

Hope that helps!
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
The main problem with this kind of approach is that you won't be able to kill anyone, period.

It's way cheaper to build defense than offense in this game so every good pvp build will also be quite tanky. Sur you'll be able to "out tank" most of them but there is not a single chance you will score a kill against anyone knowing a bit what they are doing.
your build is always going to be killed by T1 pvp builds. you cant enjoy such build, cause you cant fulfill what your build is for, whatever you try. it takes 2 shots or 3 shots for me to kill Qbot_Dyness. i'd say get something well balanced - both offensive and defensive.

Aegis CI block also is a good tank build but as everybody agrees on, you wont be able to kill anyone. and you can be killed with such builds too. even a 10ex EA build can kill you.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Feb 22, 2016, 7:16:10 AM
Yeah, that's the thing. You can't just focus on defense to be successful in pvp, you must have a harmony of traits with several layers of defense IMO to make a good pvp char :)
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
"
Rupenus wrote:
your build is always going to be killed by T1 pvp builds. you cant enjoy such build, cause you cant fulfill what your build is for, whatever you try. it takes 2 shots or 3 shots for me to kill Qbot_Dyness. i'd say get something well balanced - both offensive and defensive.

Aegis CI block also is a good tank build but as everybody agrees on, you wont be able to kill anyone. and you can be killed with such builds too. even a 10ex EA build can kill you.

Can we all stop bull shitting people into thinking EA destroys worlds on contact? It's a far cry from what other skills do in way less hits. You can avoid walls pretty well, you can see the stacks, you can play ranged versus it. It requires several layers of aoe explosions to down people. Sure the current EA meta of wall spraying is retarded and it would be a cooler skill if it required true aiming/stacking but lets be real it's not an instant win button like other skills. Spark controls space and kills better overall in a more unavoidable fashion. Lightning arrow totally trumps EA in every aspect. Crit spells, blast rain etc..etc.. all kill faster in fewer hits from anywhere on the screen EA can.

Onto the real subject though.

Your best defenses are evasion and acrobatics/phase acrobatics. Armor ratios are poor against most damage output you'll take in PvP especially criticals. This combination of dodge and evasion counters attacks, spells, attack based crits. Overall its the best defense for the investment in PvP unless you're a crit caster then block + Tempest shield is your go to. Block is good but requires far more investment then simply taking a handful of passives for 40/30 split dodge chances which can be further buffed by armor/boot choice. This allows you to focus on more life/evasion and actually some damage so you're capable of actually getting kills rather then just sitting there drawing matches. Add Enfeeble,blind,Arctic armor, Temporal chains/Arctic breath to create more layers of defense. Slower you can make the opponent, the better your defenses.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Feb 22, 2016, 6:23:53 PM
"
MullaXul wrote:

Can we all stop bull shitting people into thinking EA destroys worlds on contact? It's a far cry from what other skills do in way less hits. You can avoid walls pretty well, you can see the stacks, you can play ranged versus it. It requires several layers of aoe explosions to down people. Sure the current EA meta of wall spraying is retarded and it would be a cooler skill if it required true aiming/stacking but lets be real it's not an instant win button like other skills. Spark controls space and kills better overall in a more unavoidable fashion. Lightning arrow totally trumps EA in every aspect. Crit spells, blast rain etc..etc.. all kill faster in fewer hits from anywhere on the screen EA can.

A fully capped and properly built EA with a good swap item setup wont be beaten in a bo7 by anything at the moment. Are you actually implying something else?

There really arent many chars like that. None of them have participated the tournaments at the moment for an example.
"
lapiz wrote:
"
MullaXul wrote:

A fully capped and properly built EA with a good swap item setup wont be beaten in a bo7 by anything at the moment. Are you actually implying something else?

There really arent many chars like that. None of them have participated the tournaments at the moment for an example.

i cant understand why you guys undergrading libritannia so much. libritannia's build is almost perfect as it gets. as EA, her tree is all about having all life % nodes and getting all the jewel nodes from tree. she had like 12 jewel slots last time i checked. Thats a brilliant idea, because nothing benefits EA better than jewels. While EA's secondary damage beeing no spell / no projectile there are no nodes which benefits secondary damage much. so, having a tree just to get all possible jewel nods is a brilliant idea. fire/area% is what EA needs. she has the highest EA damage by far, and none of us can reach such dps, i know she paid 20-40ex per jewel. most of EA players fail to be like her, because they still dont know how can they get maximum benefit from passive tree.

Libritania's lvl 21 Cwdt + Enfeeble + TC is no joke either. Her temporal chains is really strong, after 1-2 matches when you figure out her setups, you can start to handle them.

also, lets talk about her micro. tempallo and others were playing EA as area control, locking down the opponent to a point etc. libritannia is the one who used EA agressively, and she is the one who initiates first in battles.(thanks to leg kaoms ofc) she somehow, stacks fuses to grounds very effectively, she knows points where fuses get stacked to the ground.

her poison arrow weapon swap, is really effective strategy to deplete opponents flask charges, thats how she beats lapiz in battles. on last duels, lapiz won the first two, libritannia won the hole rest with just depleting his flask charges. Her movespeed is highest in the game, and she gets max benefit from poison arrow thanks to that.

I know you guys, like to masturbate how good Mies was, lvl 20/23 TC and 2-3 smoke mine tricks are good, i give you that, but all the things above are thoughtful too.

Libritannia's flask setups are not good as she thinks, molten shell is totally useless, going BM is not a good idea imho.(thats sth im not sure) the rest is pretty good. (i'd use TC on hit rare gloves if i were her)

and, yeah, ere comes the drama, with my build, i dont know about ascendancy, i can handle every Explosive arrow, my char was not even specced for EA while i was playing vs EA. its surprising that cwdt + flame dash made EA matchups for me this easy.

you'll say conversion talismans. the thing i learned from starcraft 2 is, the offense always wins. there is no 100% perfect prediction. defense relies on predictng all incoming dangers with no flaws. when i switch to cold, and if the opponent cant predict that, its over.

my base damage is 11000-23200 sth like that, accuracy 4400, crit multi 630 or sth like that. it takes 1 or 2 shot to kill someone max. and

actually, hatred + call of the brotherhood + cold pen has better dps than, pure light + mirrored rings :)

there is no 100% perfect prediction, at the beginning of the round, i can switch to half cold / half phys; pure light; pure cold; half lightning/half phys... i wonder how someone can predict all of this situations and use proper talisman for it. half phys/half ele situations lower my dps only, my dps is much more than its needed, so no problems. each round i can change my setup to sth different cause it takes just 1 gem + 2 ring swap. or i can buy a torment mark 510 pdps bow for proper half phys / half ele colors and use that as swap. or i can rely my build to burning arrow mines. there are many ways to handle talismans.

i defended libritannia here, cause she started using EA very agressively thanks to additiona of jewels of the gmae, thats her invention about EA imho. (mies was using EA agressively too but EA's base damage was not fucked like this back in those days) while all the PvP pros tailoring well detailed builds with brilliant ideas, she come up with a simple idea. maximize dps - maximize tankiness, deplete opponents flask charges and yolo. thats why people are so jealous about her imho and always downgrading. her strategy is simple, not 'brilliant' and effective. but in the end, simplicity is brilliant alone.

and my other point in short, for light damage, i'd say talismans are not a good option.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on Feb 23, 2016, 5:10:24 AM
"
MullaXul wrote:

You can avoid walls pretty well, you can see the stacks, you can play ranged versus it.

CwDT + Flamedash + Frostwall says Hi

"
Rupenus wrote:

i cant understand why you guys undergrading libritannia so much. libritannia's build is almost perfect as it gets.

Mulla is on US and Lib is on EU they havnt played much otherwise hed have a different opinion about EA.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
Dethklok wrote:
"
MullaXul wrote:

You can avoid walls pretty well, you can see the stacks, you can play ranged versus it.

CwDT + Flamedash + Frostwall says Hi

"
Rupenus wrote:

i cant understand why you guys undergrading libritannia so much. libritannia's build is almost perfect as it gets.

Mulla is on US and Lib is on EU they havnt played much otherwise hed have a different opinion about EA.

Student life is kicking my bum bum:/

I fraught mulla before, he raged quit on me :/ because of "Lag" & "I can't play like this" lels. who knowns.

It's quite funny really, Mulla/ others takes great pleasure in bashing me for "reasons" beyond me... ¯\(°_°)/¯ As to it's why, I don't hang out on these forums.

But, Hey its the interewbs, nerds are entitled to their own opinions safely behind their screens. Every nerd is their own king after all.
[Gear & Club] ¯\(°_°)/¯ #1 Professional Afk Club /2133058
[Hideout] New Oriath /2505008
[Pvp Trophy] PVP #1 EU & US EA /1591888 | | BM EA /1431163
[Dead] PSC La /1682118, Build BM PA /1296491, BM IG LL ST /1121092, Shop /874905
"God's in his Heaven, All's right with the world!" IGN: Libritannia
Last edited by 1Tokimeki2003 on Feb 23, 2016, 12:25:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info