Lack of incentive to balance = lack of popularity

This is a huge problem for GGG, the lack of popularity keeps them away from trying to work on PvP since the demand is not high enough. But how can you increase popularity when you keep digging further away from balance ?

The best way i can explain what is currently going on is like this; balance is ground level and unbalance is further down in the ground. Right now GGG is digging and digging in the ground by increasing damage constantly without increasing defenses. The more you increase the damage, the more PvP is going to be unbalanced. The less you take care of PvP, popularity is going to decrease and you're going to dig even more in the ground further away.

Poe is a free game, they need to make money in order to keep things running, this is how a business works. They put effort on what makes them do more money, which is ofcourse PVE, it will always be a priority in this game and pvp will be put aside because of that.

The main reason in why GGG is not putting incentive on balancing PvP is because the popularity is so low that it would require them too much work for what it can currently bring. But there is a huge flaw in this mind state because nothing is going to get better if nothing gets done or fixed, if a game is unbalanced ofcourse no one is going to want to play it, the popularity will be low and you arent going to get more players into the game. If you want something to increase in popularity you need to make it better in the first place.

75% of why D2 was so popular is because PvP was a huge thing, it kept soooo many players into the game and made them do a huge amount of sales because of pvp. Players want to pvp, its a huge aspect of why nowadays games are so popular.

GGG doesnt realize that if they would put incentive into pvp it would bring so much players into the game, they are going to reach a point where putting more and more pve content is going to get boring over time. You cannot simply add the same things over and over.

Imagine how much money GGG would make if PvP was a thing in poe, if there was tournaments, events, prizes. A lot of players would want to play those and a lot would even come back into the game even if they left due to pve boreness.

As long as GGG will remain in the '' unpopular mind state '' PvP will never be a real thing in poe and we will keep digging further into the ground.

GGG if you want PvP to be more popular, you need to make it better in the first place. I cannot understand how a 60 staff employee company cannot put a small team onto making PvP better in path of exile.
IGN:Hauntworld - ICU Omniscient PvP guild
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PvP Low life crit caster / Gear -->/1829851
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HLD PvP tournaments -->/1576295
Last edited by hauntworld1 on Feb 4, 2016, 9:12:29 AM
"
hauntworld1 wrote:
75% of why D2 was so popular is because PvP was a huge thing, it kept soooo many players into the game and made them do a huge amount of sales because of pvp. Players want to pvp, its a huge aspect of why nowadays games are so popular.

First, where did you pull that 75% from? Don't confuse the part of the community you were heavily involved with with the community as a whole.
Secondly, this train of thought has led a lot of games to the ground. Many successful games have no PvP at all, while some others have had vital resources diverted from their core for the sake of implementing that feature.

"
hauntworld1 wrote:
GGG doesnt realize that if they would put incentive into pvp it would bring so much players into the game, they are going to reach a point where putting more and more pve content is going to get boring over time. You cannot simply add the same things over and over.

The kind of PvP you seem to be looking for requires at least endgame equipment and level. It's hard to imagine it would bring such a huge amount of players that they would be better off crippling some other major content they intend to release, when just a small portion of the playerbase ever gets to these levels.

"
hauntworld1 wrote:
I'am one of the guys who think Ascendancy classes are really bad for PvP health, huge dmg increases, absolutely no defense augmentations leads to a full dps no def meta. Why build defenses when you can 1 shot and get 1 shotted ?

You are asking for GGG to cripple their ability to add new major content (some that they believe is very important for the game), just for the sake of a feature that a big portion of the playerbase doesn't even want to look at.

"
hauntworld1 wrote:
GGG if you want PvP to be more popular, you need to make it balanced in the first place. I cannot understand how a 60 staff employee company cannot put a small team onto making PvP better in path of exile.

"
Bex_GGG wrote:
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I've spoken with the team about this and we're aware of some problems with the PvP only characters and would like to fix them later this year when we make updates to PvP. Sorry for the inconvenience!

GGG does seem to intend to rework PvP.
While it's true that a lack of balance is the primary reason for a lack of popularity for pvp, another deeper issue we can't really address that easily is what pve players percieve as our little community. Specifically, pve players are, in a word, afraid of us, in that should they go in and give pvp a whirl, we'll bash them for getting killed to easily, bash them for using "cheap" strategies like the shit you mentioned in your post, or, in Mulla's case, write a lengthy, insult-laden dissertation at them when contradicted.

Yeah, I went there, buddy. And there lies my point, it's kinda easy to see us as ego-stroking assholes no matter what we do, and while it may be true for some, the pvp community at large isn't really that bad, other than a few assholes who almost singlehandedly ruin it for people (if you're wondering who the assholes I'm talking about are, I'll give you a hint: the letters in their names are scattered throughout this post.)

Honestly, along with balance, people need a real incentive to pvp, something that's rewarding and can keep them going in pvp, or at least reasons to come back. Leo kinda fucked up pvp and the image of those who, like myself, do it for fun and to learn how to become better. He's putting those not interested in pvp, IN PVP, and players who think pvp is awful or not fun won't have a good time when they're being bombarded with EA, Lightning Arrow, Frost Wall spam, cwdt flamedash blade vortex players, high block, and some other things I'm annoyed by but can't think of right now. In addition to that, he's difficult to level up compared to other masters, and his rewards are, in my opinion, underwhelming, considering what has to be done to give him exp.

I think more pvp races would be good, especially if the uniques won in them have more of a pvp focus, something like gear with block pen or whatever, I don't know. It really needs to feel like you're getting something good out of the possibility of your feelings getting hurt or having your time wasted when you're constantly getting 1-2 shot, which is are legit reasons why some people don't pvp. I put it off for the longest time because I saw no point, and thought players would get snarky and rude, but that's only half-way true, and the results of going in and trying it were immeasurable. Other players need the same kind of rewards I got, or at least something close.

tl;dr version: pve players think we're pricks and are afraid to try pvp, pvp lacks any sort of rewards unless you commit. Also it's unbalanced pls fix ggg
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith
"
tl;dr version: pve players think we're pricks and are afraid to try pvp, pvp lacks any sort of rewards unless you commit.

For the first of these two issues, I'd suggest that if you see any PvP player bothered by the fact that some players only come to do the daily with no intent to do PvP, you explain them that both parties just want this to be over with as quickly as possible, so by letting those players complete their dailies without bothering them, they avoid creating a lasting situation where everyone is miserable.

For the second one, I think that the commitment required to be able to play in PvP should be lowered. I'm not sure exactly how, though. Maybe some sort of system where players can donate items to the PvP pool, and the items in that pool can be borrowed in PvP exclusively, but by any amount of players at the same time?
"
While it's true that a lack of balance is the primary reason for a lack of popularity for pvp, another deeper issue we can't really address that easily is what pve players percieve as our little community. Specifically, pve players are, in a word, afraid of us, in that should they go in and give pvp a whirl, we'll bash them for getting killed to easily, bash them for using "cheap" strategies like the shit you mentioned in your post, or, in Mulla's case, write a lengthy, insult-laden dissertation at them when contradicted.

Yeah, I went there, buddy. And there lies my point, it's kinda easy to see us as ego-stroking assholes no matter what we do, and while it may be true for some, the pvp community at large isn't really that bad, other than a few assholes who almost singlehandedly ruin it for people (if you're wondering who the assholes I'm talking about are, I'll give you a hint: the letters in their names are scattered throughout this post.)

Honestly, along with balance, people need a real incentive to pvp, something that's rewarding and can keep them going in pvp, or at least reasons to come back. Leo kinda fucked up pvp and the image of those who, like myself, do it for fun and to learn how to become better. He's putting those not interested in pvp, IN PVP, and players who think pvp is awful or not fun won't have a good time when they're being bombarded with EA, Lightning Arrow, Frost Wall spam, cwdt flamedash blade vortex players, high block, and some other things I'm annoyed by but can't think of right now. In addition to that, he's difficult to level up compared to other masters, and his rewards are, in my opinion, underwhelming, considering what has to be done to give him exp.

I think more pvp races would be good, especially if the uniques won in them have more of a pvp focus, something like gear with block pen or whatever, I don't know. It really needs to feel like you're getting something good out of the possibility of your feelings getting hurt or having your time wasted when you're constantly getting 1-2 shot, which is are legit reasons why some people don't pvp. I put it off for the longest time because I saw no point, and thought players would get snarky and rude, but that's only half-way true, and the results of going in and trying it were immeasurable. Other players need the same kind of rewards I got, or at least something close.

tl;dr version: pve players think we're pricks and are afraid to try pvp, pvp lacks any sort of rewards unless you commit. Also it's unbalanced pls fix ggg

Back when I had my Ice Nova character I had the same mindset I had when I played D2 Classic PvP where I'd always try to play the least popular builds as effectively as I could just to draw attention away from the main stuff.

In PoE tho, it's a battle of cancer, not skill. A battle of wallets too. So while I didn't do too bad with Ice Nova, I could barely crack the top 10 (back when the ladder was a bit more active). And it's true, the people who can afford the right gear to dominate are the very dedicated players with a giant ego. I'm no different, I'm just able to admit it instead of pretending it's not the case.

I'm always up to help people doing their Leo daily tho and I try to keep it friendly with players who seem to genuinely want to have fun and try something different. I've helped a ton of players, but a bad apple can ruin a bunch.

I think it's a bit hopeless to wait around for balance fixes in PvP. And the community has already reduced in size dramatically enough that you wouldn't be able to pull off the "GM" duels we had in D2 with some rule set. Something where we could ban the top cancer builds or cap certain broken elements of gameplay.

I've just accepted that PvP is "I'm bored of mapping so I'll duke it out for an hour or so" in PoE. The game is still super fun, but unless people just magically woke up one day wanting to do restricted PvP to allow for different skills to shine, you can forget about balance entirely.
Crit Shockwave Totem 650k +: #1657327 / Crit VMS (1 mil DPS): #1511368 / Crit self-cast spark: #1565708
1.3 crit firestorm: #1280086 / 1.3 crit Ice Nova: #1219809 / Flame Nova (sire of shards incinerate): #1359847
Actually most Ascendancy passives are good. With the exception of all the crit oriented ones, how ironic.

You also contradict yourself in saying defenses are useless and damage is too high. Yet are one of the strongest advocates for having 500% crit multipliers especially when skills that have already been dealt PvP coefficients are still destroying people within under 2 hits. Lets not forget too, highest defense characters in the game...what kills them?

Also I've helped many players and always give people the opportunity to get their Leo dailies off me if I'm PvPing. Instead of thinking I'm a complete asshole to everyone maybe you should step back a second and really really read my posts. They are written with one goal in mind and that's to "universally" balance PvP for "everyone". I touch on everything and want ultimately for everything to be viable in PvP from summoners all the way to top tier crit builds. As much as I hate it, the automation and other things GGG has implemented helps weaker builds compete. But it's also being used by already powerful ones too and that can't be avoided. So you consider everything you can in the game and look at the underlying issues i.e damage versus defense and try to compare and contrast utility/options given to us and where. It's not my goal to seemingly always bash on this or that. Hege PvP'd for literally a few minutes yesterday then messaged me in disgust. You going to tell him hes a cry baby bitch too for thinking PvP right now is less about skill, less about movement? Or that damage is too high for competitive play?

I get peoples angle, they show up just to have fun. Guys like HarleyCue just want to kill time, that's great. At the end of the day though when someone joins PvP and see's a guy not moving at all and winning. Or they die instantly to something else yada yada, of course they don't want to invest in it unless they wanted to be that guy too. For the rest of the people, the vast majority that don't find instant kill, low movement, low counter player PvP fun...they wont even bother. Word spreads quickly too, one guy queues up, attacks a Tempest shield...instantly dies and tells his friends how shitty PvP is. That's all it takes to deter large groups of players away from this. Just the same if they join PvP and the guy is insulting them and tea bagging their body etc. That shits great and all in an already established PvP scene where people actually appreciate competition but for new players it's not going to bring more.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Č Me noob, first time in sarn aboutž 3 month ago:

I go sarn, guy called "nerfeverythingsomething" with whirling blade just keep harassing me at spawn with crit-whirling-poison.

Fun for him but not for me. Guy is nice but sometime he like "fuck this" and start random harassment with Whirling lol.

Then Guy called "sonehogal" or something with stupid block tempest keep harassing me when I try duel other people. Guy just like to troll and insult people they are weak.He do 0 damage but insult and harass duels.

Then guy called "gravel" or something come and just kill again me at spawn, with EK and tempest.

Then guy called "Flower something" come and 1 shot everyone in sarn with arrow, not even on purpose the guy just duel someone else but arrow travel all arena and kill random people lol.

Then I want to do leo 180 sec survive, guy nerf+ guy sonehogol +guy gravel are there just killing afk people trying to survive.After 10 minutes I say please don tkill me and nerf guy stop but sonehagol just say I am weak and keep afk killing. Then he is happy he have 100 kill in arena.. WTF 100 afk kill the guy is proud lol.

Then I decide to go EU server and see someone called "guts or something coming and insulting me saying it is his sarn and just 1 shot me using some crit 2h"

Then all trolls talk about hoodlum guy and say he need to be banned, so I think it is funny and remember name. Some guy called "evilist" come and just afk kill us with 1 shot crit spell.

Fun time, I stop doing pvp for month after this shit.

Then I cameback 2 month ago with harvest and troll around since it seems trolling afk is what pvp is all about. People insult me I troll WTF I just imitate those top pvp players right?

Then I say fuck this, I play 1 vs 1 and see someone called "yolostefan" and he 1 shot me using minion bug, then I meet this sonehogal guy who do 0 damage and he insult me because I can t hurt him but when his ES go down he run away. Then I meet someone called "richarderson". Cool guy but OP firestorm.

I met only 1 cool guy in all 1 vs 1 and in sarn all are trolling afk noobs even if this nerfeverythingsomething guy is also cool and chill when he don t go berserk.

Yea go wonder why noobs stop playing pvp if top players are just trolling around too :( šupak
pizda materna I tell myself, pvp not really fun in poe.

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Feb 5, 2016, 6:47:27 AM
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Feb 5, 2016, 7:26:04 AM
"
Head_Less wrote:
Spoiler
Č Me noob, first time in sarn aboutž 3 month ago:

I go sarn, guy called "nerfeverythingsomething" with whirling blade just keep harassing me at spawn with crit-whirling-poison.

Fun for him but not for me. Guy is nice but sometime he like "fuck this" and start random harassment with Whirling lol.

Then Guy called "sonehogal" or something with stupid block tempest keep harassing me when I try duel other people. Guy just like to troll and insult people they are weak.He do 0 damage but insult and harass duels.

Then guy called "gravel" or something come and just kill again me at spawn, with EK and tempest.

Then guy called "Flower something" come and 1 shot everyone in sarn with arrow, not even on purpose the guy just duel someone else but arrow travel all arena and kill random people lol.

Then I want to do leo 180 sec survive, guy nerf+ guy sonehogol +guy gravel are there just killing afk people trying to survive.After 10 minutes I say please don tkill me and nerf guy stop but sonehagol just say I am weak and keep afk killing. Then he is happy he have 100 kill in arena.. WTF 100 afk kill the guy is proud lol.

Then I decide to go EU server and see someone called "guts or something coming and insulting me saying it is his sarn and just 1 shot me using some crit 2h"

Then all trolls talk about hoodlum guy and say he need to be banned, so I think it is funny and remember name. Some guy called "evilist" come and just afk kill us with 1 shot crit spell.

Fun time, I stop doing pvp for month after this shit.

Then I cameback 2 month ago with harvest and troll around since it seems trolling afk is what pvp is all about. People insult me I troll WTF I just imitate those top pvp players right?

Then I say fuck this, I play 1 vs 1 and see someone called "yolostefan" and he 1 shot me using minion bug, then I meet this sonehogal guy who do 0 damage and he insult me because I can t hurt him but when his ES go down he run away. Then I meet someone called "richarderson". Cool guy but OP firestorm.

I met only 1 cool guy in all 1 vs 1 and in sarn all are trolling afk noobs even if this nerfeverythingsomething guy is also cool and chill when he don t go berserk.

Yea go wonder why noobs stop playing pvp if top players are just trolling around too :( šupak
pizda materna I tell myself, pvp not really fun in poe.

Most of this stuff is Leo related, just removing him and scatter his mods on other master benchs will solve the problem. Leo is a disaster for the community, there is no shame in admitting that.

Also your last RC is wrong, it's extremely easy to just escape Sonne as he move incredibly slow even with the actual state of WB :trollface: Also i just realized those ice cubes where supposed to be FW, well done :D
Last edited by IceDeal on Feb 5, 2016, 9:55:05 AM
I can't believe I missed that picture. Oh my god that's so good. Headless, Great job! :D

Sonne is the fucking worst. I only have like 3 people on ignore list and he's one of them lol
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info