[2.1] Oro's Sacrifice Melee Sweep Build (Cheap & Balanced)

______________________________________________________________________________________

Oro's Sacrifice. A beast of a sword for the price of an Alc.. Many players already have incorporated this nice weapon into some of their builds. Mostly it is used in Flicker Strike builds, as the Frenzy charge generation helps a lot in sustaining your Flicker Strike attacks. Some builds even use it in a general, fire based Cyclone build, but ever since the Elemental proliferation nerf, it doesn’t seem like a good fit and maybe a pure Phys based build is a lot easier to play.
This time though, this time... We use Sweep.

______________________________________________________________________________________

About Sweep

Sweep. You know, that skill that got nerfed somehow in the latest major patch (where AoE’s of melee skills got nerfed), no one knows why... And you’ll be going on a nice quest here on the forums to find yourself a nice, affordable Sweep build. Hint: There aren’t any. Until now.
I have created a viable, cheap Sweep build, that not only deals enough (Fire) damage to melt though packs, it is very tanky in the process.
There is nothing more satisfying than jumping into a large pack of monsters and Sweep away.

Quick Overview

Let’s give you a quick character overview, so you can see if this tingles your interest:

- Fortify will be up for most of the time.
- You’ll have up to max 6 Endurance charges (automatically generated)
- You’ll have up to max 5 Frenzy charges (automatically generated)
- Automatic applied Double curse: Warlocks Mark & Flammability.
- 2% Life and Mana leech.
- Up to 8.4 % life regenerated per second.
- 3 free Gem slots to use as you will.
- Culling Strike on 90% of mobs!
- Resolute Technique.
- Huge AoE modifiers to Sweep, so you are not limited to be in melee range 100% of the time.

So yes, other than activating your Auras and summoning your Golem, you are Leap slamming and right-clicking yourself through maps. You could say it is a perfect build for the more, eh. "lazy" folk like me. (or old.. same thing :P)

Looks good? Not falling over from laughing yet? Ok, let's go more into details then.

Before you dive in head first:

First things first. You do not need a 6 link (5 link is fine). You do not need a belt, rings and amulet with 45+ Elemental damage on it.

Secondly, I am still leveling this build (only level 81 at the moment of writing), so there is still a lot of improvement to do. Basically, Helm, Rings, Amulet, Armor and Gloves all can be upgraded.
My Gems are around lvl 17/18, with no quality on them so there is still a lot of room for improvement there as well.
Still running around as well with 2x 5 links, instead of a 6 link Oro and a Koam's...

I started this build from scratch in Talisman (SC) and slowly but surely build my way up, so bear with me while I update this build over the next couple of weeks with my progress.

Character in question is _The_Firelord_ here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/xchokeholdx/characters

The Build

Unique items required:

Oro’s Sacrifice.

Any roll will do. But since they are so cheap, get the highest attack speed and fire damage roll available.
Don't get a Legacy one. those have an extra 10% Fire & Phys damage taken!. be careful!

Windscream boots.

Any roll will do. These boots are nice for us since we want the extra curse, the extra elemental damage, and we don't care for movement speed, since we will use Leap slam. A corrupted rare Amulet with +1 curse on it will be a good replacement, in which you are free to use other boots (Rare or unique).

Fireborn Unique Jewel.

We use this to easily boost our Fire damage we get from the Duelist area, taking 2-handed weapon Phys damage nodes there and convert them all into Fire damage within the Fireborn jewel Radius.

Optional unique: Kaom’s Heart Glorious plate. The huge life and extra fire damage will improve this build, but it is not needed, but it will provide you with internet points and huge nerd boner, so why not?

Other items:
Helm.
Your Standard Armor based helm with Life and resists is enough
Gloves:
Your standard Armor based Gloves with life, attack speed and resists is enough
Rings and Amulet:
Life, resists and wherever possible Weapon elemental damage. Attack speed is a nice bonus as well.
Belt:
Armor based life belt with resists and as a bonus Weapon elemental damage.
Armor:
Kaom's heart is the one we should use, but a Carcass Jack or Belly of the beast will do just fine as well. If nothing else, a Rare with life, Armor and resists is ok.

Skills

Main skill:
4 link: Sweep, multi strike, WED, IAoE.
5 link: sweep, multi strike, WED, IAoE, Faster attacks.
6 link: Sweep, Multi strike, WED, IAoE, Faster attacks, Fire Penetration.

We will swap the IAoE gem with Concetrated effect for bosses whenever possible.
Link this in a 5 or 6 link Oro or 5-6 link armor.

Movement skill:
For our movement skill, we use leap slam, linked with Curse on hit, fortify and Flamability. If you have this in your armor, you might want to use a 5 link with added Fasters attacks. If you use Koam’s Armor, I would use Leap slam, curse on hit, fortify and Flammability in a 4-link boots, helm or gloves.

Auras:
For our Auras, we use Anger and Blasphemy+Warlock’s mark. This leaves us just enough Mana to use Sweep on mana (Warlock's mark will make sure we never run out of mana).

Curses:
You could swap out Flammability with Warlock’s mark, and thus run Flammability on Blasphemy, but I prefer the extra life leech/mana leech over a bit more DPS (if you fail a leap slap or walked into a pack of monsters, and thus not had the effect from leap slam+curse on hit.

Defensive skills:
For defensive purposes, we use the never failing Cwdt+Immortal call+Molten shell+Increased duration. All on lvl 20.
Also, with Fortify on Leapslam, you will have a good uptime on your fortify if you Leapslam enough. Lastly, your sweep Gem has a good % of Knocking back a monster, so you'll get hit less often because a monster is "stuck" in the Knockback animation.

Golem:
A Flame golem goes into a free slot, together with a Conc effect which we switch out with IAoE on bosses.

Play Style

How do we generate our 5-6 Frenzy and 6-7 Endurance charges?

Oro's Sacrifice will give you a Frenzy charge if your attack Ignites an enemy. With 5 attacks per second and a 39% chance to Ignite (20% from Oro, 5% from Skiltree, 14% from Flammability curse), you will be with max frenzy charges in no time.

Warlock's Mark will make sure that dead monsters provide you with enough Endurance charges to fuel your Regen (0,2 per charge), your defense (4% Phys reduction and 4% increased resists) and your Cast when Damage taken+Immortal Call setup for Seconds worth of immortality multiple times per map, without any manual input at all!

It will take you some getting used to, using leap slam and Sweep+Multistrike together. The triple Sweep animation must be completed for you to be able to use Leap Slam. This takes some practice and could lead to tricky situations where you would want to leap slam away while you are still Sweeping. Stahp! get me out!. Practice makes perfect.

Basically, all you do is jump from pack to pack (try to aim for the middle of the pack to maximize you Sweep AoE, and Sweep until all is dead.

Sweep, together with Curse on hit+Leap slam and Blasphemy+Flammability somehow works very well together. You usually kill whole packs of monsters in one go if you land in the middle.

Sweep, with the inherent Knock back (wont knock monsters back out of range!) also provides you with just enough time and defense to indeed jump right into the middle of packs and wreck havoc!

Bandits

+40 life in Normal.
+8% Attack speed in Cruel.
+1 Frenzy charge (or Endurance charge if you prefer to be a bit more tanky (HC) in Merciless.

Flasks

Section to be updated.

Skilltree and Leveling

I used a double Lifesprig + Bladefall setup on my marauder, simply because it is soo easy to run. You could use double Flame totems, or if you prefer to go Sweep all the way up, run the Tiers of unique swords up to lvl 67, where you can finally equip Oro’s Sacrifice.
While leveling, make a straight run to Resolute Technique (if melee, else leave it for now), and then up into the Templar area, leaving the extra Endurance charges for later on.

I went after that straight to Blood Magic, so I did not ever needed to worry about mana again until I made the switch to Oro’s at lvl 67.

After that into the duelist area, leaving the Fire and elemental damage nodes for later, after the Oro switch.

After the Oro switch, just start filling out your tree wherever you feel your build needs help. Either extra Jewel sockets, extra life or Elemental damage.
Current tree @ level 81:

End tree at level 99:

DPS, Life and Mana

DPS:

Even though it is very hard to tell you exactly how much DPS this build does with Flammability and Fire Pen gems, here are some screens from my current lvl 81 Marauder.

Sweep with just Anger and Fire golem up:
Spoiler

Sweep with 5 Frenzy charges:
Spoiler

Sweep with 5 Frenzy charges and using Conc effect instead of IAoE.:
Spoiler

Life:
My current Life with normal Rare items with Life rolls.
Spoiler

Mana:
I have 105 Mana left, after Blasphemy & Anger. This is just enough for my 28 Mana cost Sweep to use it 5 time (times 3 Multistrike). Enough to leech the Mana back indefinably.
(to be updated)

Videos
Sample Gorge run. Not great, but ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGWqrw7wg8&feature=youtu.be

(Continued in next post)

Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
Last edited by xchokeholdx on Feb 4, 2016, 12:00:11 PM
Mapping

Map mods that suck for us:

Elemental Reflect (instant death, not even popping Ruby flasks will help you)
Cannot be cursed (that means less DPS for us, and no leaching of mana/life.). You could swap out Fire pen for Blood Magic, but I would just re-roll the map and dont run it.
No life/mana regen (You could run Blood Magic gem instead of Fire pen, but your kill speed will go down a lot)

Currently easily doing Tier 6 and 7 maps, while leveling up to 90.

Individual Map and Tier info. (will be updated with each map I run over time)
Spoiler

Tier 1:
Spoiler

Grotto. Easiest map of all. Since we have 76% Fire resist, the boss cant even touch us. Just jump on it ans sweep until dead.

• Tropical Island. Most new characters who starts doing maps will run this one as their first one. Good simple layout, open spAces for our Sweep, and a boss that is easy to do with a 4 second immortal call. Easy.

Tier 2:
Spoiler

Mountain Ledge. Easy map. Keep your Fortify up and the boss will not even dent you.

Thicket. Just make sure you get a good jump on the Boss, and pop a granite every time a Rain of Arrows is launched. Should not be too difficult as you AoE will Sweep the whole boss room at once.

Cemetery. Nice open spaces to fully enjoy our Sweep. Bossroom is easy to do. Unless you have very little Lightning resists, the Sparks hardly do any damage.

Channel. Tricky boss. You need to make sure Fortify and Granite flask is up when the big bird comes crashing down. a long Immortal call helps a lot.

Wharf. If you have -60 poison resist, you need to be careful not to get hit multiple times by the Boss. Make sure your Fortify stays up and it should be no problem.

Arcade. Doubles Boss, so extra loot. I don't really like the layout, and more often than not you fail to leap slam because some crate or wall is in the way. Easy enough map to do though.

Tier 3:
Spoiler

Reef. Easy boss kill as long as you bring some Antifreeze. A prolonged freeze on you could mean certain death. Keep your Fortify up!

Spider Lair. Reasonable easy. If you have a Instant flask, it should be no problem. The Spider boss sometimes hits you hard, but never 2 times in a row. You should be able to finish her after taking just a single hit.

Mud Geyser. Easy Map, as long as you don.t get charges by the map boss (just Leap slam on top), it should be a piece of cake.

Vaal Pyramid. Nothing hard really. the boss is slow as hell, so you can just jump out of the fight whenever it gets tricky. Easy.

Tier 4:
Spoiler

Spider Forest. Easy to do as long as you jump out of the way of the Summoned Zombies corpses'. Their Chaos damage can dwindle your life pool in a flash and will kill you faster then you can pot.

Arena. Concentrate on just killing off 1 of the 3 bosses at a time. Your range of Sweep will still manage to do some damage to the other 2, but focus at 1. Going in with full Endurance charges is good. A long lasting Immortal call will help you immensely. Medium difficult.

• Promonade. Easy straightforward Map. Linear just like Ledge. Boss is easy if you maintain Fortify.

Tier 5:
Spoiler

Villa. Easy boss to kill. Just jump on him and make sure he does not get out of range. Don't walk, Leap Slam only.

Pier. Boss has High Fire resistance, but so do we. So keep popping your flask and keep your fortify up and it should be no problem.

Underground Sea. This is like a Ledge run underground. Linear and so easy. The Boss does not move, so you'll have time to get you hair cut and legs shaven in-between killing this totem pole! Easy.

Graveyard. Merveil Boss. always tricky. Try to not kill all the adds in one go, so you can refill your Endurance charges and thus your Immortal Call. Caution.

Tier 6:
Spoiler

Colonnade. Hard Boss. Make sure you have Endurance charges to trigger Immortal call. leap slam in and out into normal mobs to keep your Endurance charges up.

Arachnid nest. Not too bad. Make sure you pop your granite flask and don't let the boss get away from you. keep him under your belly! Be prepared to pop your Seething flask!

Dry Woods. The 2 Monkey Bosses have Elemental resists, but pose no real threat. Just get the jump on them and Sweep until dead.

Temple. Piety Boss. Easy enough if you carry a Lightning resist Flask. Just keep your Fortify up and she goes down easy. Don't really like the layout of the map though, lots of back tracking.

Strand. One of my favorite maps. linear and a easy enough boss at the end. I love it!

Tier 7:
Spoiler

Terrace. Horrible Layout. A lot of backtracking and failed leap slams into walls. Boss is quite the long fight, but not too hard. Culling strike will get him in the end.

Jungle Valley. Quite the hard boss. hits like a truck. Luckily for us, she summons a lot of spiders, so our Endurance charges and Immortal call are up for a lot of times. Jump around to keep Fortify up and to leech life. Hard.

Mine. Horrible layout and backtracking all the time. If it wasn't for leapslam I would never do this map again. Luckily the Boss is not that hard. Just jump on him and sweep till dead.

Torture Chamber. Thanks to Leap slam, we are fast enough to dodge (or hide) from the lazorbeamofdeath. Use Conc effect and keep Fortify up. Boss goes down in no time. the adds make sure you life and mana stays up during the fight, don't worry about them. focus on the boss. Hard.

Tier 8:
Spoiler

Dry Peninsula. Easy map, just run a big circle and kill all. Keep Fortify up on boss and chuck a Granite or 2 while Sweeping him. The adds will leech enough life and mana for you.

Dark Forest. Oak as a boss. He does not have a lot of Fire resistance, so getting him down to culling strike is easy enough. Easy.

Canyon. Don't let the boss get any distance on you and it will be fine. jump on him, keep Fortify up and sweep until dead. easy.

Cells. Boss deals Fire damage, so it is a complete joke to us. jump on him and kill it. If it weren't for the awful layout of this map, I would run it a lot, just for the easy boss kill.

Orchard. Tunneltrap red blob of death boss. If the map itself doesn't have too many punishing mods like -resists, it is doable, but since we are melee, be prepared to die. so don't fight him if you are close to leveling up. not worth it at all. Hard.

Tier 9:
Spoiler

Arid Lake. If I only could run Arid Lake maps, I would. Easy open spaces. Easy boss as long as you don't get charged. e.g. jump on him as soon as you see him. easy.

Gorge. Everyone's favorite map. The Boss has elemental resistance, so it is quite a long fight. That might change if you can equip a 6-link with flammability.

Underground River. Lots of dead ends and backtracking. not to mention the failed leapslams into walls. ughh.. Boss is ok though. Keep fortify and granite up and he'll go down easy enough.

Malformation. The map itself is ok, enough room to slam and sweep. But the bossfight is very, very hard. Piety and her laser-beam of death will rip you up, just when you are mid sweep. very hard and I suggest skipping the boss.

Tier 10:
Spoiler

Plateau. Lovely map. Two big circles and you're done. Just don't get charged by the Rhoa map boss and this map is clear. would run a million times over.

Bazaar. Ugly map for leapslam, since you'll have a lot of failed ones due to all the nooks and crannies. Bosses are easy enough though. Not to bad to run, were it not for all the obstacles.

Tier 11:
Spoiler

Academy. Well, we are melee, so we have to get close to do any damage. This book throwing piece of shit will kill us quick. Luckily if the adds are close to the boss, we can leech and get endurance charges. Make sure your Fortify is up, you are at full endurance charges, and you are quick on the flasks. Very hard, and really not worth it.

FAQ

Why Marauder?

You can either play this build as a Templar (more DPS), Marauder (more life) or as a Duelist (Balanced between life and DPS). There are not many differences in the starting areas, and only if you play a Templar, you win about 1-2 points. Personal choice, up to you.
I chose a Marauder since I felt that is the only rightful wielder for that awesome sword.

Why do you have Iron Reflexes?

Update: Not Anymore. Just switched to 90% Armor based items (only gloves are hybrid Evasion). Basically, because I do not have yet found/traded up to All Armor gear. So once I finally get there, you'll win back 2 points to go wherever you please. (life, extra armor, or some Attack speed in the Duelist starting area.)

Changelog

Spoiler
31th January 2016: Guide draft written and published, fixing spelling mistakes and formatting as we go...
2nd February 2016: Started added Map info, as well as some general fixes in formatting.
3rd February 2016: More maps added. I am lvl 84 at the moment, shuffled some items around which allowed me to respec out of Iron Reflexes. Will update screenshots with new stats. All higher! Currently saving up for a 6-link Oro's, which would allow me to run Fire penetration....
4th February 2016: More maps added. Got some better items and most of gems are now lvl19. Got a nice Damage boost, op to 33K now, and got some nice life boost. 5070 life at the moment. Still going strong!

Thanks for checking out my guide! Please leave questions or concerns in comments.
Last edited by xchokeholdx on Feb 23, 2016, 6:08:11 AM
Reserved for more Beer and Bears!
Hello,

I have been experimenting with Oro's Melee builds this whole league, so maybe I can add to the discussion here.

I have been trying to make the build hardcore viable, and I believe with a scion, you can do that.

My build picks up Vaal Pact, Unwavering Stance and Iron Reflexes. My auras are Grace + Blasphemy Flammability. With this build I get 7 jewel slots but I do not run Fireborn. 174% max life from the tree and 42% from Jewels.

Traveling to the Wrecking Ball notable and also spending 2 point to socket a Fireborn Gem makes the "per node" efficiency even out with other damage nodes on the tree.

+1 Fire resistance from Barbarism, +4 from Purity of fire, and +10 from Ruby Flask, means that as long as you have a flask up, reflect won't bother you. I tested this on Seawitches/Fracture maps.

Grace + IR means that with a Granite of Ironskin and a Jade Flask of Reflexes, you get about 50k armour and scary boss physical damage (double boss kole) can be survivable.

For boss killing I run Vaal Lightning Strike/Multi/Fire Pen/WED. 3 stacks of this (applied in 2 seconds) will kill any boss.

Edit: I run Vitality Void until I got a 6th link. Then I socketed LL and put those points into Celestial punishment.

Last edited by XanthousQat on Feb 3, 2016, 1:43:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info