GameSpot reveals the new Templar Ascendancy Class: The Hierophant

"
SIQI wrote:
Idk about the totem node for this class.

1 active totem - 100% dmg
2nd active totem (ancestral bond) - 200% dmg // after ascendancy 200% * .8 = 160%
3rd totem (after taking ascending) - 300% dmg * .7 (30% less due to 3 active) = 210%
4th totem - 400% dmg * .6 = 240%

So really it is not that big of a damage boost if you already plan to use ancestral bonds; at best it can replace the need for ancestral bonds.

I think the last marauder class going to be the real totem master (at least for the red totems, shockwave, etc), we shall see.

this. lets assume you have 3 totems active each 50k dps. 50x3=150k dps. 30%less dps = 100k dps. conclusion: why even go that if you can reach 100k dps with ancestral bond??
Still though... Hexagon/Pentagon Searing Bond Hype!
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
Increased MoM = awesome
Innate Mock 5L = Pretty cool
Enhanced Voll's Protector = Discharger's day made
2 Extra Totems at penalty to active totems damage = wait what?

At first glance it looks good but that penalty makes it tough to really get into it if you're a totem primary character that already uses ancestral. I've seen the models that other have given but I would argue that that model assumes all the damage from the active totems is hitting the same target. (Don't know of many times even with two/three totems they ever hit the same target outside a boss fight.)

Below is how the damage of each totem and cumulative damage will fluctuate once a totem is placed.

Current: Assuming Ancestral Bonds without Ascendancy points
Totem A: 100% Single Target/100% Cumulative
Totem B: 100% Single Target/200% Cumulative or 100% Cumulative + 100% Searing Bond
Totem C: 100% Single Target/300% Cumulative or 200% Cumulative + 100% Searing Bond
Totem D: 100% Single Target/300% cumulative + 100% Searing Bond (With Soul Mantle and Searing)
Totem E: N/A
Totem F: N/A

Ascendancy: Assuming Ancestral Bonds + Heiro
Totem A: 90% Single Target/90% Cumulative
Totem B: 80% Single Target/160% Cumulative or 80% + 80% Searing Bond
Totem C: 70% Single Target/210% Cumulative or 140% + 70% Searing Bond
Totem D: 60% Single Target/240% Cumulative or 180% + 60% Searing Bond
Totem E: 50% Single Target/250% Cumulative or 200% + 50% searing Bond
Totem F: 40% Single Target/200% Cumulative + 40% Searing Bond (With Soul Mantle and Searing)

What do I get from this?

1) Current dual totem + Searing Bond Totem is just as good if not better due to lack of single target damage penalty and searing bond penalty as any of the 6 totem options with the Ascendancy points.

2) Don't use Searing Bond if you use these points. Even with a single searing bond totem you will lose damage since Searing cannot "shotgun" or multi-overlay damage. Side note: still disagree with that mechanic change :P

I'd argue that a lesser penalty might make this more appealing. Even changing it to "10% less damage per totem beyond the second," would keep from penalizing existing damage without massively powering 4-6 totem toons.
Last edited by cmilles on Jan 28, 2016, 8:58:33 PM
SRS+TOTEM = OP... more then OP...

I will kill uber aziri with lvl1 xD
You are forgetting something important:

Some totens do damage. And that penalty is BAD.
But others totem DON'T!

Examples:

a)
+ Spell totem (1 normal totem + 2 totem frons ascendency) = Full Increased damage taken from Chaos. This build will become toooo much stronger now:

"

b) Aura totens

Yes... they don't do damage, but they will raise party damage.
If you are necromancer, you can use Spell totem (200% multiplayer) + unique jewel (60 reduced mana reserved) + mana pot and put 3 auras.

Glove - Spell totem + aura 1 + aura 2 + enlighten
Boot - Spell totem + aura 3 + enlighten + Artic armour
shield - Hatred + artic armour + enlighten
CHest - spectre
Weapon - Zombie

c) MInion totem

Yes, skeleton totem, did you forget them?

d) 3 elemental totens

1 Ice nova totem + 1 Light Nova totem + Flame totem in Sire of shard = GG damage

300% * 0,7 = 210

210 dmg * 1,5 (less elemental resist) = 315 (ok, not very good)

e) 3 lightning warp totems

They will be your friends. They will follow you

f) GANDALF BUILD

3 FROZEN wall toten - You shal not pass build

g) Offering totens

Flesh Offering + Desecrate + Bone Offering + Spell totem = Full minions power

Last edited by MEZIR on Jan 28, 2016, 10:24:00 PM
are those... pants?
@MEZIR

I'm going to disagree on those ideas...
Spoiler
a)If its just wither, you only need 1 totem, additional ones aren't necessary; also most builds going chaos (including 100% fire to chaos builds) is more likely to start witch/shadow/ranger rather than templar.

b)Not very practical, if I wanted auras, I'd team with a support; if you do it by totems, every time you go face a new group u'd have to setup your totems...with that time one can easily clear the group and move on already. Also, each cast would still require a good chunk of mana (30-42% per cast depending on aura), regenerating that without mana leech would be difficult even with mana pots, especially if your on a mana build with a high pool or in a slower regen map.

c)You still have skeleton limits...if it's for a distraction you only need 1, also it still doesn't change the fact that your damage output is going to be alot lower if you take the totem node but remember that still takes up gem slots.

d)No. just. No. Too many links used, damage hard to be maximized as your running 3 different elements....you can achieve better effectiveness using more similar spells, i.e. self cast ek + ek spell totems/shockwave totems on staff/chest or self cast arc + more arc totems, etc.

e)This is fine if using LW as a skill to boost dps/clearing, assuming you don't get ancestral bond and is still casting another spell yourself (explained more in most practical use section below).

f) This will guarantee you get kicked out of every map party lmao

g) Self casting those is not hard; If your going summoner, there really is no reason to not do it on a witch now. Also summoner witch can go for ancestral bonds for double totem, which will be enough, no reason to do it with templar.

THE MOST PRACTICAL USE FOR THE TOTEM NODE:
Spoiler
Is To play a self cast (Preferably with staff for the double 6L) and use the totem ascendancy with 6L damage totem on your chest or staff, so you can double up your damage (At 3 totems your at x2.1 of totem damage, but each 21/20 spell totem does about 50% of your dmg, so by having 3 totems you are effectively doubling your natural non-totem damage) without losing the ability for you to continue leeching life with your own spells, but even then, idk about sacrificing another 6L (or helm slot + the extra effect node for less effectiveness) for this purpose. Anyways for pve spell casters i'd still put my money on the witch, as for pvp elemental spellcaster, definitely the inquisitor at the moment.

The Hierophant class would be pretty nice if they actually gave some damage taken goes to mana along the small pathing nodes on the tree and some other way to get es back quicker asides from wearing an aegis, along with a lower dmg penalty on the additional totems.
Drop the 10% lesser damage and drop one totem.

+1 totem is what is needed here.
Guys, the point of taking Hierophant is that you get multiple Totems like Ancestral Bond, but you can do damage with your skills yourself. It's essentially Ancestral Bond, with zero downside, worded in a way which makes it pretty silly to take at the same time as Ancestral Bond.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
like posted before, the totem buff will be good without ancestral bond.

for some totem builds it wont be that great - searing bond is one of it i guess.

i may try it with that siege ballista though with iron grip, wont use ancestral but use a good plus 2/3 bow for some explosive arrow shots - i can easy link it into my free 4.5L. can even go attack totem with volley or rain of arrows - iron grip of course.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info