Display driver stopped responding into hardlock

Tried installing the non-steam version of the game, no better result.

Really don't feel like swapping power supplies as I'm convinced it's just plain PoE's problem at this point, but I guess I'll do it "for science" and because the game is basically ruined for me otherwise.

Will follow up...
Just got a 3-4s lockup and "display driver stopped responding" with the brand new power supply 750 watt Corsair brand) - still using the brand new GTX 970 as well.

Bottom line - it's the game. Don't really know if another build would be a workaround, but it's a pretty lousy one even if so. I'm using Victario's Charity w/ Necromantic Aegis and zombies/spectres/SRS.
In addition to crashing when tabbing out, I'm also randomly black screening as described here. I've run memtest/prime95/ugine valley/aida recently without crashes or error. This random black screening, which I assume is a display driver crash which windows doesn't recover from, only happens when I play PoE and it happens very frequently. Most commonly the crash happens within the first ~15 seconds of logging in or loading a new zone, in fact almost always. Sometimes I can play the game for hours without crashing, other times I can't log in without crashing 10 times in a row. I've run pack check, and I'm fairly sure it's not an issue with my system as I play quite a few other games without issue in addition to the stress tests I mentioned above. I'm using a gtx 780 with 365.19 drivers on windows 8.1 64 bit and use a usb dac (xonar essence). I hope this helps you guys fix your code.
In addition to the information i provided before, I commonly have spotify/yolo mouse/ahk/corsair's keyboard/classic shell running in the background. Though I've crashed with all of those processes disabled except for classic shell, also I don't use SLI but do use a larger than average resolution 3440x1440. Though reducing the resolution of the game does seem to reduce the frequency of crashes, I've even crashed using 1600x900 resolution. Full screen 3440x1440 seems to always crash me. Windowed fullscreen seems to crash me 90% of the time now. Honestly the crashes seem to be becoming more frequent with time, and I've heard more people in chat and mumble complaining about similar crashes to mine. It's rather frustrating to play with constant crashes and no noticeable effort being put in by GGG staff to help.

I've supported this game since I've started playing in beta, but these crashes and the apparent indifference from GGG are really turning me off to PoE in general. I know my $100 doesn't pay wages alone and you can't justify reallocating resources because 1 person is dissatisfied but it's unacceptable that there's no communication or acknowledgement of an issue when it seems pretty obvious that there is one. I guess you've gotta be a streamer or something to have a voice. Anyways if this crap doesn't get resolved this will be the first time that I don't buy supporter pack since I've started playing.
While I can agree that crashing sucks, you can't confuse a lack of communication as "indifference".

There are just some things that GGG either does behind closed doors, or things that they can't sufficiently reproduce to figure out the issues.

Not only that, but there are maybe a dozen people complaining about this specific crash. It's a very small percentage in the overall player-base. Your statement about enacting change is quite possibly true in this situation. Depending on the issue (and whether or not they can reproduce it consistently) it might not be worth the 12 users. I can't say that with any authority of course as I just don't know.

Most of the times when I've encountered similar issues, it was less the software I was running and more the drivers or settings of my PC. I found huge instability a while ago in my system with how it was attempting to overclock everything all the time... and pull more power, and use more fan.

By reducing the "automatic turbo" crap that was on it, I've significantly reduced the crashing that occurs (in all cases). I've not had a PoE specific issue with crashing. My situation was more systematic (although only exhibited in a couple of instances due to the games I was playing at the time). Some games I could play on Ultra for HOURS without issues, and others I'd see issues within 10 minutes. I don't blame the game.

So try to keep your frustration in check with what's going on. Unless you have something concrete to point at GGG and PoE (and I don't mean a comment like 'this is the only game this happens in' but more specific diagnostic/debug information), I'd focus on your machine as a whole. While it is very tempting to just write it off as "only happens in PoE", that might only be the case FOR NOW. You could turn around tomorrow and find a completely different game behaving similarly as I did.

I just hate seeing people make GGG their target for frustration, anger, venting, and lack of supporting (financially) due to systems that they might very well not have any control over. Conversely, it might be a PoE specific issue.

I know not everyone has the technical expertise or ability to really debug the issue and dive in to what is crashing, but at this point, that is exactly what is needed to be able to place any blame anywhere. Until someone is able to dive in properly and diagnose a specific problem, it's hard to really blame anyone.. it could be the driver, it could be the hardware, it could be the windows install, it could be the windows VERSION, it could be the game, it could be .... you get the point.

I really hope you are able to figure out what the issue is. I know how frustrating it can be, especially for a game you love to play (in my case it was Dark Souls 3 most recently). Hopefully somewhere I was able to suggest something that helps you resolve your issue, because that's really the best case scenario in all instances.

Good luck.
Tried running without Victario's Charity or Necromantic Aegis the last couple of nights. Still getting freeze/logout/display driver recovered. I'm running with PCIE power savings off, prefer maximum performance in Nvidia control panel, on a fresh install of Windows 10 with no other 3rd party applications running. As I mentioned before, this is with a brand new power supply AND video card. It makes no difference.

"
Drakier wrote:

I really hope you are able to figure out what the issue is. I know how frustrating it can be, especially for a game you love to play (in my case it was Dark Souls 3 most recently). Hopefully somewhere I was able to suggest something that helps you resolve your issue, because that's really the best case scenario in all instances.

Good luck.

@Drakier - speaking for myself, I'm not attempting to take out any anger towards GGG, but the fact remains that PoE is the only program exhibiting these symptoms on my system, which has otherwise been stable for years, including thousands of hours of a competitor's game. I am not overclocked, I have followed every recommendation you and others have made in similar threads and then some. Short of replacing my system's motherboard/CPU, there is literally nothing else to try on the hardware front. Half the time when these crashes occur I'm just running around picking up loot on a cleared map or moving from master to master in my hideout. Doesn't sound like a load issue. The problem manifested on Windows 8 first, and follows to Windows 10, so it's not an operating system or 3rd party software issue.

I'm open to other suggestions, but it's not hyperbole to say that this is ruining PoE for me, which is a shame given that this is the first time I've given the game a real go since I registered for beta 3.5+ years ago. Loving the game and would love to continue playing it, but not like this.
Last edited by sabrewulf1159 on May 18, 2016, 3:05:12 PM
At the end of this reply there is a solution for some of you who suffer from this error.

"
Drakier wrote:

I just hate seeing people make GGG their target for frustration, anger, venting, and lack of supporting (financially) due to systems that they might very well not have any control over. Conversely, it might be a PoE specific issue.

I know not everyone has the technical expertise or ability to really debug the issue and dive in to what is crashing, but at this point, that is exactly what is needed to be able to place any blame anywhere. Until someone is able to dive in properly and diagnose a specific problem, it's hard to really blame anyone.. it could be the driver, it could be the hardware, it could be the windows install, it could be the windows VERSION, it could be the game, it could be .... you get the point.

No I don't get the point. So what you are saying is that all people who play games should be able to diagnose the issue by themselves? Give me a break. This is a game where it has been supported by real cash. I have spent more money than purchasing an "optimized" games and I do have the right to ask GGG to respond to this issue.

I have read 7 threads including other games, which discusses about the same "display driver stopped..." error and POE is the only game where the Devs or the moderator has not replied about the issue. From what I have seen this issue has been around from 2012.. And its been 4 years, nobody from GGG ever responded.

Is POE still in beta? is it early starter game? NO! it has been officially released and has been getting money from supporters. Than GGG DOES have responsibility to look into matters that people suffer from. I am not saying they are bad at what they do, they are one of the most valued Devs I have seen in many years. However, the lack of support for issues such as these do come as a disappointment.

So you ask what driver what Windows all that crap. hey you know what? this issue has been observed in all systems (Windows 7,8,10) and variety of graphic cards. So here is what I don't understand when there is a resolution to these types of issues I have never seen anything that specifically say that "you can solve the problem by following this WHEN you have Windows 7 and blah blah graphic cards". Have you seen that before? NO! all of the methods to resolve these issues are general. It doesnt matter if you have Windows 7 or 10. It doesn't matter if your Graphic drivers are up to date or not.

For someone like me who doesn't know a shit about computer, all that Oh you need this and that crap just puts me off the game. If this 'knowledge' about computers are essential to play a game than it would be all you geniuses that can only enjoy the game. BUT its not! GGG doesn't want that to happen... than? GGG has to step up and deal with this issue (or some other issues that many suffer from).

Thankfully a guy who knows what his talking about did show a way to solve this issue.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529991

Read the last 2 replies.

Tbh, there is no need for posting your computer specs after all.
"
aim7811 wrote:
At the end of this reply there is a solution for some of you who suffer from this error.

"
Drakier wrote:

No I don't get the point. So what you are saying is that all people who play games should be able to diagnose the issue by themselves? Give me a break. This is a game where it has been supported by real cash. I have spent more money than purchasing an "optimized" games and I do have the right to ask GGG to respond to this issue.

I have read 7 threads including other games, which discusses about the same "display driver stopped..." error and POE is the only game where the Devs or the moderator has not replied about the issue. From what I have seen this issue has been around from 2012.. And its been 4 years, nobody from GGG ever responded.

Is POE still in beta? is it early starter game? NO! it has been officially released and has been getting money from supporters. Than GGG DOES have responsibility to look into matters that people suffer from. I am not saying they are bad at what they do, they are one of the most valued Devs I have seen in many years. However, the lack of support for issues such as these do come as a disappointment.

So you ask what driver what Windows all that crap. hey you know what? this issue has been observed in all systems (Windows 7,8,10) and variety of graphic cards. So here is what I don't understand when there is a resolution to these types of issues I have never seen anything that specifically say that "you can solve the problem by following this WHEN you have Windows 7 and blah blah graphic cards". Have you seen that before? NO! all of the methods to resolve these issues are general. It doesnt matter if you have Windows 7 or 10. It doesn't matter if your Graphic drivers are up to date or not.

For someone like me who doesn't know a shit about computer, all that Oh you need this and that crap just puts me off the game. If this 'knowledge' about computers are essential to play a game than it would be all you geniuses that can only enjoy the game. BUT its not! GGG doesn't want that to happen... than? GGG has to step up and deal with this issue (or some other issues that many suffer from).

Thankfully a guy who knows what his talking about did show a way to solve this issue.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529991

Read the last 2 replies.

Tbh, there is no need for posting your computer specs after all.

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt." ~~Mark Twain
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
I tried playing for two nights with all sound devices disabled and -nosound launch option. No freezes during that time BUT it was only a cumulative play time of a few hours, and I have gone longer stretches than that without freezing, so not very conclusive. I tried installing a new external USB soundcard yesterday and had two freezes during the day (one in windowed fullscreen, one in regular fullscreen). None of this is conclusive, but I want to add it to the record of attempted resolutions. Playing with no sound - even if I choose that option - is a horrible solution. I enjoy game sounds.

I'll try the MSI Afterburner/overvolt option as I have seen that mentioned before, but again, this is a pretty terrible solution even if it works. I do not experience this issue with ANY other application or game (3+ years on this video card). The only reason I'm willing to attempt this solution now is because my GPU warranty has expired anyway and I have no desire to purchase new hardware (I already returned the GTX 970 I mentioned previously as it made no difference).

GGG is busy and of course can do as they like, but I can honestly say that this ongoing issue will prevent me from considering purchase of any supporter packs, which is a shame as this is the first time since I joined the game's beta that I have actually gotten into it and am really enjoying it other than this problem.

Fingers crossed the 2.3 patch will fix - either by accident or on purpose - whatever is causing these problems.
Last edited by sabrewulf1159 on May 24, 2016, 9:46:47 AM
Various GPU voltage settings did not help. Made it worse, if anything. Several TDRs last night.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info