[TSC][2.1] Crit Facebreaker Cyclone! Do the Hoola hoop (Added nicer video!)

Greetings, this is my first build guide, and as you may or may not have figured out already, the build is entirely dependant on the new softcore talisman Rigwald's Curse.
The build works both as a duelist or a ranger if you just change the starting point.
If you are new to the Facebreaker concept or just want to get some more detailed information on some topic, I highly suggest KorgothBG's How to smash Heads. Extremely detailed guide about the Facebreaker gloves and builds! but it doesn't yet bring up the crit version of Facebreaker which you can find here!

When I first saw the new unique I was rather intrigued because of all the new possibilities it opens up for a facebreaker character, and this build is my take on it, I hope it will give some insight. There are of course other ways of building a Rigwald's Curse character, and perhaps I will add some thoughts on what the best alternatives are.

Let's get to it, the strengths are basically the same as for a standard Facebreaker build:
+ Sturdy; Budget build with very high damage and decent survivability
+ 216% life on level 91 passive tree
+ Very ez leveling if you just get some flat phys on rings
+ Use your FIST to one hit Igna Phoenix or other exiles of your flavour
+ Atziri-viable
+ High "free" crit multiplier from both Facebreaker and Abyssus which are useless on non-crit unarmed builds

Some weaknesses include:
- Being reliant on 4 unique items that give little to none in terms of life and resistance
- Having to deal with the "increased physical damage taken" from Abyssus
- Phys reflect
- Unarmed lacking good movement skill(whirling blades)

Videos
*Tier 10 Plateau(better quality)
*Tier 8 Canyon with enfeeble and monster life, not good mods for clear speed (bad quality)

Here's my Cyclone with 4 power charges and 3 frenzy charges
Spoiler

And here's with vaal haste + taste of hate
Spoiler

If you don't know what "Pugilist" is, just look at this jewel for a second, yes that's an effective 86% increased physical damage! I use two Pugilists and the Warlord's Reach jewel (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Warlord%27s_Reach)

The promised 216% life is there, and you might wonder "why no acrobatics?", I answered in the comments below. Because I take increased physical damage I want to have some mitigation (fortify) and as high life as possible, so basically I wouldn't have 216% life if I also had acrobatics.
The claw nodes I can use are all pretty nice, but the big wheel east of shadow might not be worth it, I'm just now respeccing so I get more crit/damage but less attack speed.

Bandits
Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kraityn
Merciless: Alira (Kraityn can be nice too if you like frenzy charges, but I want to max crit on this guy)

Recommended gear & My current gear
I'll list what you wanna be looking for in each slot:
Gloves: Facebreaker
Helmet: Abyssus
Amulet: Rigwald's Curse
Belt: Meginord's Girdle
Boots: Some rare with life/res and high movementspeed important since you need it for your cyclone clear speed
Body: Some rare with life/res and evasion preferably, just bear in mind you want at least 3 red sockets so pure evasion or ev/es is not recommended, I also don't think a unique choice is possible since you will need all the resistance(and life) you can get
Rings: Preferably rare diamond rings with life/res/added phys damage, flat accuracy is nice but you will struggle hard enough ;)

And finally,
Off hand: Quiver or shield. I recommend a rare crit chance implicit quiver, with life/res/crit chance/added phys rolls. Again, max crit is my motto

Here's what I'm currently using, and all the rares are like <15c

Gems & Strategy

Main damage:
linked with

I think inc AoE is really important, because it sucks to clear packs without it, and the single target damage of cyclone is very strong in itself. Fortify is my way of dealing with the Abyssus drawback and not getting one-shot killed, I feel the damage is enough anyway, I will soon discuss the importance of blood magic.

Aura setup:
But enlighten is not at all necessary (you're using blood magic after all) but there is a discussion to be made about actually using blood magic, or if you can sustain mana. I tried swapping out my blood magic for added fire in my 5L, and I could almost sustain mana without hassle, if you want you can try for example speccing into Essence Sap(east of ranger) and see if that works, and it opens up another support gem which is extremely nice for damage. (For example phys to lightning which also helps vs phys reflect or Faster Attacks)

Another point of Blood Magic support gem is that you might be able to fit in a third mana reservation, primarely Herald of Ash, but you will need at least Enlighten level 3 or spec into reduced reservation nodes, and it is very hard to sustain mana on a 6L. :P

Secondary damage(use only against phys reflect):

100% conversion of the phys damage makes phys reflect not a thing. So basically I stop using cyclone and use this, it can be annoying, but it works. If you really don't like to do this then a granite + taste of hate active might enable you to kill rare phys reflect mobs with your cyclone, but taste of hate is pretty expensive, so until then... :)

And for the last 4L:

Remember if you play with a quiver you wont get the 3 gem sockets you would from running with a shield. So if I were to run with a shield I probably would run a CWDT setup with Immortal Call to further help vs the nasty physical damage this build has some problems with.

Also, Taste of Hate is generally OP and perfect for this build, put high prio to get it! It does cost about as much as all my other gear combined though, so don't count on it if you want to play on a budget.

I will update with more stuff and videos soon! As this is my first build guide, suggestions and/or comments are highly appreciated. :-)
HoolaBandoola, creator of all things Hoola and destroyer of Rhoas.
Last edited by HoolaBandoola on Jan 14, 2016, 1:07:29 PM
I think deadly dileante claw/sword points are better than the big circle of nodes on right side of shadow, top 3 claw north of shadow is good as well. why no acrobats? no shield no block cool but use dodge at least? dont see any extra armor nodes, so what defense do you use?

The melee crit bonus look nice on Marauder area, havnt seen any of the new crit build ideas take that route, could pick up the extra accuracy nodes on way there as well. good luck on the build, nice ideas

I can be spotted wondering Wraeclast
Last edited by TheGreenGhost on Jan 12, 2016, 10:40:23 PM
"
TheGreenGhost wrote:
I think deadly diatribe claw/sword points are better than the big circle of nodes on right side of shadow, top 3 claw north of shadow is good as well. why no acrobats? no shield no block cool but use dodge at least? dont see any extra armor nodes, so what defense do you use?

The melee crit bonus look nice on Marauder area, havnt seen any of the new crit build ideas take that route, could pick up the extra accuracy nodes on way there as well. good luck on the build, nice ideas

Thanks for the input!
I don't take acro mainly because I think if I die with this build, it's because of ONE instance of high phys damage, that's why I go to the life-wheel because it is extremely hard to find good life past a certain point otherwise. With acrobatics I would have less life i.e. more chance to die from one-shot.

As for defence, I have 5k evasion (should maybe use a jade flask, hm) a taste of hate and fortify support gem, and try to push life as I said. Shields might be a better option for higher tier maps also due to the gg evasion I would get from it, might test.

You might be right about deadly diatribe, I've thought about sacking the big claw circle too, should examine my options sometime. I took them mainly for the very nice attack speed gains, but I'm not sure how much it's helping me(attack speed IS nice though).
The thing I know is that more crit chance is what I really really want, so I might check into going to marauder crit, but it seems a bit of a stretch if I also don't go to templar life + AoE nodes, and it's starting to become a whole other build... :)
duh I completely forgot about fortify! I saw it on your links but didnt think about it for some odd reason. I think shield can be best top end, IDK quiver can have some very interesting stats.

Long term plan for me is hoping for a FB max block/spell block with Gladiator when released. Thinking BOR setup but Crit with Abys would be better for the multiplier, lots of hard choices with tree
true strike, harrier

Seems the main thing we do not get is the critical multiplier bonus since claws dont have that on big wheel like daggers,bows. +1 more for Abysus

about the Marauder crit, doesnt seem worth the points unless you are starting there or Templar, or going for the endurance charges on that side.

http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwQBAO4BCQHcBS0FtQkzDY0OSBGWFCAVIBa_GbQi4iP2JP0mlSoLKk0s6S2DMHwxnjWSNj064T8nR35H4kp9SshNkk3jUEdRR1VLVuhbr13yXz9hIWHiYqxko2VNbIxuqnBSdO11y3X9d-N5aHrvfXWEb4TZhO-Gs4d2idOMNo19jb-dqp-Cn6OjiqQ5plenn6lutMW1SLXyuNm5Hb02vqfBBMLs0TbTftRC2L3awd0N3UjgleIs45_kUedU6mLrY-4O7w7vevJF9qP-Cv6P_rr_3g== something close to my build plan without the block nodes nor the acro setup

it is looking like some sort of hybrid will make a lot better tree than what I am currently thinking idk, just tossing out ideas I know a few folks are excited and thinking of a nice build since the Talisman unique crit bonus
I can be spotted wondering Wraeclast
Last edited by TheGreenGhost on Jan 12, 2016, 10:55:03 PM
Started this build today, I wanna see how far you can push crit FB dps with good gear.
From your expeirence is it red map viable defensively?
IGN: HarroHarbinger
"
Catharsis wrote:
Started this build today, I wanna see how far you can push crit FB dps with good gear.
From your expeirence is it red map viable defensively?

Cool, I would say it probably is. However I've mostly chained t9 maps so far, so Plateau is the highest I've done.

And I don't even have three nice things I think will make it better suited for red maps:
1. A shield
2. CWDT-setup
3. Vaal Pact(Might be worth the 3 points, I think it can be annoying due to blood rage)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info